Frontier Muzzleloading
Welcome to Frontier Muzzleloading!

Please take the time to either Register or Log In to your user name and join us!

Muzzleloading Forum

HomeGalleryFAQSearchRegisterLog in

Ads

Share | 

I'm thinking about going traditional again.

Go down 
Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3  Next
AuthorMessage
OldMtnMan

Male Number of posts : 9956
Registration date : 2010-09-23

PostSubject: Re: I'm thinking about going traditional again.   April 6th 2018, 9:10 am

I wouldn't. I drove for 3 years from LA to New York. Produce to back east and freight coming back. I hated it.

With the tanker and end dump jobs I was home every night and weekends. The end dump job was perfect. My name was on the door. I took the truck home at night. I'd take it to the Peterbuilt for service. Everybody thought it was my truck. It was like being an owner-operator without the expence of being one.

I got to learn how to run all the heavy equipment too. I'd always load my own truck, do grading etc. He made a ton of money and paid me way more than most drivers were making. He bought me a new truck every 5 years. Construction was booming then and everybody made good money.

"You have reached the pinnacle of success as soon as you become uninterested in money, compliments, or publicity."
Back to top Go down
View user profile
FrontierGander
Forum
Forum

Male Number of posts : 15287
Registration date : 2008-05-19

PostSubject: Re: I'm thinking about going traditional again.   April 6th 2018, 10:28 am

Gentlemen...... "I'm thinking about going traditional again."........
Back to top Go down
View user profile https://www.frontiermuzzleloading.com
Hylander

Male Number of posts : 152
Registration date : 2017-11-07

PostSubject: Re: I'm thinking about going traditional again.   April 6th 2018, 10:31 am

@OldMtnMan wrote:
I wouldn't. I drove for 3 years from LA to New York. Produce to back east and freight coming back. I hated it.

With the tanker and end dump jobs I was home every night and weekends. The end dump job was perfect. My name was on the door. I took the truck home at night. I'd take it to the Peterbuilt for service. Everybody thought it was my truck. It was like being an owner-operator without the expence of being one.

I got to learn how to run all the heavy equipment too. I'd always load my own truck, do grading etc. He made a ton of money and paid me way more than most drivers were making. He bought me a new truck every 5 years. Construction was booming then and everybody made good money.

I liked driving the end dumps, like you I was home early every night (except a few out of town) then it was motel and dinner paid for.
Also drove flat bed bed local, two runs a day and off by 5pm.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
OldMtnMan

PostSubject: Re: I'm thinking about going traditional again.   April 6th 2018, 10:41 am

@FrontierGander wrote:
Gentlemen...... "I'm thinking about going traditional again."........
Been answered. We moved on to trucks.

"You have reached the pinnacle of success as soon as you become uninterested in money, compliments, or publicity."
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Hanshi

Male Number of posts : 234
Registration date : 2015-01-21

PostSubject: Re: I'm thinking about going traditional again.   April 6th 2018, 2:14 pm

That rifle will be better than those modern things.  Those things are accurate.  Barrels on most imported rifles are about as accurate as the ones from most American barrel makers.  I know I've always been impressed with them.
Back to top Go down
View user profile http://www.martialartsusa.com
oneshot 1

Number of posts : 437
Registration date : 2012-04-23

PostSubject: Re: I'm thinking about going traditional again.   April 6th 2018, 7:21 pm

I drove every where and was home couple days every couple months, so no family life.

I drove Cabover, don't see many anymore. Didn't have no Cell Phone or GPS, which would have been nice.

Got a 54Cal. Sidelock I like with patch and Ball. Killed many Deer.

oneshot
Back to top Go down
View user profile
OldMtnMan

PostSubject: Re: I'm thinking about going traditional again.   April 6th 2018, 7:33 pm

@oneshot 1 wrote:
I drove every where and was home couple days every couple months, so no family life.

I drove Cabover, don't see many anymore. Didn't have no Cell Phone or GPS, which would have been nice.

Got a 54Cal. Sidelock I like with patch and Ball. Killed many Deer.

oneshot
 All we had was the CB radio to find our way around.

Back to top Go down
View user profile
Buck Conner
Site Moderator &
Site Moderator &

Male Number of posts : 2419
Registration date : 2015-10-20

PostSubject: Re: I'm thinking about going traditional again.   April 7th 2018, 9:16 am

Us too Pete.  Then they finally got us a company unit installed (like a CB - but connected to phone company and Highway Patrols wave links), between the two we had good communications. Plus a big  bonus, we knew where the speed traps were set up saving us tickets for speeding.  :rtup

Back to top Go down
View user profile http://grrwca..com/
Hanshi

PostSubject: Re: I'm thinking about going traditional again.   April 7th 2018, 12:50 pm

My stepson drives trucks but I could never do it.  For one thing, in fact the major thing, is that I have no sense of direction; inherited from my lovable, ditsy mother, deceased for some two years.  Send me anywhere LOCAL and I WILL get lost.  I get lost in doctors offices and dental offices.  It's called "Defective Spacial Perception"; plus I'm just weird.
Back to top Go down
OldMtnMan

PostSubject: Re: I'm thinking about going traditional again.   April 7th 2018, 1:01 pm

@Hanshi wrote:
My stepson drives trucks but I could never do it.  For one thing, in fact the major thing, is that I have no sense of direction; inherited from my lovable, ditsy mother, deceased for some two years.  Send me anywhere LOCAL and I WILL get lost.  I get lost in doctors offices and dental offices.  It's called "Defective Spacial Perception"; plus I'm just weird.
How do you hunt?

Back to top Go down
View user profile
patocazador

Number of posts : 5837
Registration date : 2012-08-22

PostSubject: Re: I'm thinking about going traditional again.   April 7th 2018, 1:49 pm

@Hanshi wrote:
 I have no sense of direction; inherited from my lovable, ditsy mother, deceased for some two years.  Send me anywhere LOCAL and I WILL get lost.  I get lost in doctors offices and dental offices.  It's called "Defective Spacial Perception"; plus I'm just weird.

I belonged to a hunt club in south Georgia for a couple of years. One guy named Walt was the city manager for a city of 75,000 people. Everywhere I went, there were pink or orange ribbons hanging. I found a string of them leading down a power line right of way cut so I took them all down. When I got back to camp, I told the guys there about what I did. They said, "Oh crap! Now we'll have to go out searching for Walt, he'll never find his way back without the ribbons." 

They told me that a guide in Mississippi put Walt in a stand about 20 yards from the dirt road. He got down to take a piss and couldn't find his way back to the stand or the road. He must have had "Hanshi syndrome."

"My reading of history convinces me that most bad government results from too much government." -Thomas Jefferson
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Hanshi

PostSubject: Re: I'm thinking about going traditional again.   April 7th 2018, 2:12 pm

OldMntMan, I'm not physically able to walk very far from my vehicle.  It's a very good day when I can walk my dog around the block.  This eliminates any real scouting I can do and, of course, dragging anything out.  I used to hunt a fair amount in elevated stands, preferably ladder stands. but still from ground blinds, too.  Not safe for me to do any longer; so I do all hunting from the ground, usually from a canvas folding chair.  SWMBO makes me hunt only with a partner.  Now, I'm very healthy, it's just that the old "superstructure" is damaged and shaky.  Oh, and I can't drive except fairly short distances locally which limits where/how far I can go to shoot/hunt.  Severe nerve and joint damage seems to affect most everything.  But I still go out.  :rtup
Back to top Go down
Hanshi

PostSubject: Re: I'm thinking about going traditional again.   April 7th 2018, 2:15 pm

@patocazador wrote:
@Hanshi wrote:
 I have no sense of direction; inherited from my lovable, ditsy mother, deceased for some two years.  Send me anywhere LOCAL and I WILL get lost.  I get lost in doctors offices and dental offices.  It's called "Defective Spacial Perception"; plus I'm just weird.

I belonged to a hunt club in south Georgia for a couple of years. One guy named Walt was the city manager for a city of 75,000 people. Everywhere I went, there were pink or orange ribbons hanging. I found a string of them leading down a power line right of way cut so I took them all down. When I got back to camp, I told the guys there about what I did. They said, "Oh crap! Now we'll have to go out searching for Walt, he'll never find his way back without the ribbons." 

They told me that a guide in Mississippi put Walt in a stand about 20 yards from the dirt road. He got down to take a piss and couldn't find his way back to the stand or the road. He must have had "Hanshi syndrome."

lol!  Okay now, that sounds a lot like your's truly.
Back to top Go down
Buck Conner
Site Moderator &
Site Moderator &

Male Number of posts : 2419
Registration date : 2015-10-20

PostSubject: Re: I'm thinking about going traditional again.   April 7th 2018, 3:15 pm

@OldMtnMan wrote:
@Hanshi wrote:

How do you hunt?

In circles .... always returns to the starting point.   headslap

Back to top Go down
View user profile http://grrwca..com/
Hanshi

PostSubject: Re: I'm thinking about going traditional again.   April 7th 2018, 3:45 pm

@Buck Conner wrote:
Quote :
How do you hunt?

In circles .... always returns to the starting point.   headslap

Reminds me of a T.S. Elliot quote: "We shall never cease from exploration; and at the end of our exploring, we shall arrive where we started, and know the place for the first time"

I think I got it more or less accurately.  Dunno
Back to top Go down
oneshot 1

Number of posts : 437
Registration date : 2012-04-23

PostSubject: Re: I'm thinking about going traditional again.   April 7th 2018, 7:43 pm

Anymore I use GPS to get around Hunting or Driving. I tend to get lost.

I use 100gr. of powder in my 54Cal.

oneshot
Back to top Go down
View user profile
patocazador

PostSubject: Re: I'm thinking about going traditional again.   April 8th 2018, 1:03 pm

@oneshot 1 wrote:
Anymore I use GPS to get around Hunting or Driving. I tend to get lost.
oneshot

A GPS is great for finding your stand before daylight. I have a spot where I hunt that is 1 1/8 miles from the end of a dim road through a swamp. The GPS gets me close enough to see the bright eye next to the tree my stand is in.

Another help is a pin-on floating ball compass. You can get the vector from your GPS and then just refer to the compass heading until you get within 100 yards or so. It is also good to use when you shoot a deer and it runs off a ways. The compass gives a general heading so you don't get down and wander around because everything looks different on the ground from how it looked 20' up.

"My reading of history convinces me that most bad government results from too much government." -Thomas Jefferson
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Hanshi

PostSubject: Re: I'm thinking about going traditional again.   April 8th 2018, 1:39 pm

I'm not exactly a luddite but deep down do not trust technology.  A GPS would confuse me, anyway.  I usually find my stand(s) by #1.  simply being familiar with the route.  #2.  leaving a white tape (or paper) trail on the bushes.  #3.  By smell.  I don't use any type of "attractant", but still occasionally use some kind of cover scent.  The best ever was a thing called "Skunk Screen".  It consisted of two plastic squeeze bottles filled with two kinds of liquid with absolutely NO smell.  And you never, ever wanted to get the bottle caps mixed up; fortunately they were different colors.  You simply squeezed a drop or two of #1 on a cotton ball.  Then you carefully squeezed a drop or two of bottle #2.  Then, BETTER JUMP BACK!  I usually put a couple of cotton balls downwind of my stand; never, never, never upwind!  It was the odor of a fresh killed skunk, was persistent for weeks and you could follow it even with a head cold.  I would follow the smell in pitch darkness and when I got near the stand - usually a ground stand - there was NO mistaking it.

Don't know if it is even still produced; a real shame if it isn't.  But I haven't seen it for sale in any LGS in decades.
Back to top Go down
patocazador

PostSubject: Re: I'm thinking about going traditional again.   April 8th 2018, 2:18 pm

I have most of the 2 bottles of that skunk stuff left and one of the bottles does have some hint of skunk to it. The bag it's in slightly stinks. If you want it, I'll send it to you. 
I haven't used it in 20 years or more.

Back to top Go down
View user profile
Hanshi

PostSubject: Re: I'm thinking about going traditional again.   April 8th 2018, 4:30 pm

Private message sent, patocazador.
Back to top Go down
burlesontom

Male Number of posts : 66
Registration date : 2018-04-10

PostSubject: Re: I'm thinking about going traditional again.   April 10th 2018, 2:56 pm

First post on this forum. I post on most other forums as "ratshooter" and so some may recognize that name.

If the OP is looking at Traditions rifles I say go for it. I have owned several in the past and all were good shooters. Maybe not the most accurate as far as traditional guns go but not bad. The last Traditions I have left is a Springfield Hawken I bought as a kit from Bass Pro over 20 years ago for a whopping $105. The finished rifle was around $130 back then. I see they are still sold per the link to muzzleloaders.com but now the finished rifle is $299.

Even though these rifles are not the most historically accurate they shoot very well. And they have extremely smooth barrels. The Springfield Hawken I have also has radius cut rifling. It just flat shoots and groups.

And I used to drive trucks. I delivered finished machine parts for my dad. But I don't refer to myself as a "Truck Driver". cheers
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Hanshi

PostSubject: Re: I'm thinking about going traditional again.   April 10th 2018, 3:09 pm

Welcome to Frontier Muzzleloading, burlesontom.  t up
Back to top Go down
burlesontom

PostSubject: Re: I'm thinking about going traditional again.   April 10th 2018, 3:47 pm

Thanks Hanshi. I love the gun forums and am on thehighroad, thefiringline and marlinowners. And sometimes perfectunion but not much in a long while.

I am on one of my BP rifle kicks. I just used the Investarms date code in the other thread and the Cabelas 45 Hawken I built from a kit many years ago dates to 1994. That was my second rifle. The first was bought about a year before that so I have been shooting black powder for 24-25 years. Wow, I didn't realize that till just now.

I almost gave up on BP because I just couldn't hit anything with my rifle. (Cabelas .54 Hawken) Then I bought a Sam Fadala black Powder book and figured out the thin .010 patches I was using were too thin. I changed the patching to .018 striped pillow ticking and I was off to the races and never looked back. What a fun way to shoot guns. I am considering buying a better rifle like one from TVM. I just can't decide what I want. I do like the Hawken style rifle they offer. So I will give it some thought. But the rifles I own now all shoot as well as I can hold. I have killed one deer and a cow elk with my rifles and have no doubts that they can get the job done.

I also have my eye on a Pedersoli Scout Carbine in .45 caliber. I really like .45 caliber rifles. They are just a good balance of power and not too much lead being lost while target shooting. I shoot round balls and a Lee 200gr REAL bullet. That bullet should kill any deer that walks within reasonable range.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Hylander

Male Number of posts : 152
Registration date : 2017-11-07

PostSubject: Re: I'm thinking about going traditional again.   April 10th 2018, 4:06 pm

@burlesontom wrote:
I am considering buying a better rifle like one from TVM. I just can't decide what I want. I do like the Hawken style rifle they offer. So I will give it some thought.

Welcome,
I to am considering a build kit from TVM, but also from these guys.
I like their choices in Hawken style and the barrel choices, also they will do some of the work on the rifle 
that I may not be comfortable doing.

Petaconica River Long Rifles
Back to top Go down
View user profile
burlesontom

PostSubject: Re: I'm thinking about going traditional again.   April 10th 2018, 4:14 pm

Hylander I have heard of Petaconica for many years. I looked at the link but they don't seem to offer fully finished rifles and I am not up for a build. I am about to get into my busy season. I am an insurance adjuster and storm season is coming. I check houses and businesses for damage from wind and hail. I have had this job for the last 18 years and hope this storm season is my last.

Maybe after retiring I will build another gun. A real traditional historically accurate gun. But not right now.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: I'm thinking about going traditional again.   

Back to top Go down

I'm thinking about going traditional again.
Page 2 of 3Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3  Next

Permissions in this forum:You cannot reply to topics in this forum
Frontier Muzzleloading :: Muzzleloading Topic :: Traditional Muzzleloading-
Jump to: