Frontier Muzzleloading
Welcome to Frontier Muzzleloading!

Please take the time to either Register or Log In to your user name and join us!

Muzzleloading Forum

HomeFAQRegisterLog in

Speaking of Catfishing........

Go down 
Go to page : Previous  1, 2
AuthorMessage
Marty
Site Moderator
Site Moderator
Marty

Male Number of posts : 3693
Registration date : 2009-02-03

Speaking of Catfishing........ - Page 2 Empty
PostSubject: Re: Speaking of Catfishing........   Speaking of Catfishing........ - Page 2 EmptyMarch 2nd 2019, 8:12 am

@Firestick wrote:
Small green frogs. Catch a ziplock bag full and freeze them. Let em partially thaw on the way out to fish. Put em on a treble hook and toss out in the water and let em drift weight free and natural. Catfish around here can't resist em. Night fishing is the best wehn they come closer to shore looking ofr easy food.
Frogs for catfish...now that's different.  Being bottom feeders,  I'm assuming catfish won't chase-down a live frog on a hook  scratch Question
Back to top Go down
Renegadehunter

Renegadehunter

Male Number of posts : 48
Registration date : 2018-10-12

PostSubject: Re: Speaking of Catfishing........   Speaking of Catfishing........ - Page 2 EmptyMarch 25th 2019, 10:45 am

Channel cats are pretty voracious and will go after live bait like a predator fish around here in the Snake River.  Anchoring up and jigging a fresh piece of cut bait can work pretty well, we just set it on the bottom and jig it up and down about a foot.  Has to be into the summer when the water is warmer. 
Chicken liver works okay, but the Northern Pike Minnows will heckle it like crazy and you have to re-bait all the time.  We tie hooks on with an egg loop style knot when using liver so that the loop helps hold it on.  I like this method a lot better than cheese cloth or something similar.  I mostly just fish on the bottom with cut bait, either trout, carp, or northern pike minnow...but the pike minnows will heckle all of these a lot too.
Good catfish holes are also usually good sturgeon holes, it gets pretty exciting real fast when you're using tackle for 1 to 8 lbs catfish and a 6' sturgeon vacuums up your bait.
Back to top Go down
oneshot 1

oneshot 1

Number of posts : 567
Registration date : 2012-04-23

PostSubject: Re: Speaking of Catfishing........   Speaking of Catfishing........ - Page 2 EmptyMarch 25th 2019, 12:28 pm

I have found Catfish like Turkey Lungs.

oneshot
Back to top Go down
Marty
Site Moderator
Site Moderator
Marty

PostSubject: Re: Speaking of Catfishing........   Speaking of Catfishing........ - Page 2 EmptyMarch 25th 2019, 6:08 pm

Renegadehunter, do you need to fish for the channel cats only at night in the summer Question
Back to top Go down
Firestick

Firestick

Male Number of posts : 77
Registration date : 2019-02-18

PostSubject: Re: Speaking of Catfishing........   Speaking of Catfishing........ - Page 2 EmptyMarch 25th 2019, 7:15 pm

You can catch cats anytime of day but the best is at night. They are STRONG hunters by scent.Like many fish, after the sun goes down and cools a bit they get more active feeding.
Back to top Go down
Smokin' Joe
Forum
Forum
Smokin' Joe

Male Number of posts : 2065
Registration date : 2011-11-23

PostSubject: Re: Speaking of Catfishing........   Speaking of Catfishing........ - Page 2 EmptyMarch 26th 2019, 12:14 pm

I've been watching a few youtube videos on cat fish baits and I'm seeing a lot of folks using hot dogs, cherry Kool-Aid, garlic powder and garlic salt.  They cut the hot dog in half or sometimes smaller. thread the fishing line through the middle (length wise) which is tied to a treble hook.  They say it works for Channel and Blue cats not Flatheads since they prefer live bait.  I can't vouch for it since I haven't tried it.  I have always used cut bait.  I buy some sucker minnows from the bait shop and slice them up into 1" - 1 1/2" chunks.

Semper Fi……..
Back to top Go down
Renegadehunter

Renegadehunter

Male Number of posts : 48
Registration date : 2018-10-12

PostSubject: Re: Speaking of Catfishing........   Speaking of Catfishing........ - Page 2 EmptyMarch 26th 2019, 1:28 pm

@Marty wrote:
Renegadehunter, do you need to fish for the channel cats only at night in the summer Question

Like Firestick said, they will hit during the day but it's much better at night.  The only time I've done well during the day is about right now, when spring is here and the waters turn muddy and rise.  For whatever reason I've always done better in the spring time when the river is muddy, day or night.  Seems to be a better chance for bigger fish too.  I don't know if it's because they've been dormant and are really hungry, or if it is because all of the run-off puts a lot of food into the water for them.  It makes it a little more challenging to have to avoid all of the debris coming down the river and catching your line.  All spring muddy water fishing is from the bank due to all of the debris making it unsafe for a boat.

If we fish them during the day in the summer it is always by boat and we jump to different holes quite a bit.  We'll hit back eddies and fish them for about 45 minutes then move on...unless we're still picking fish out of the hole.  It seems like if we're going to catch any out of a hole during the day it doesn't take long, and we might pick up only 2 or 3 out of the hole and then it goes dead.
In the summer I have the most action as soon as the sun goes over the horizon...we start getting hits and I'd say the first hour from the sun going over the horizon is the hottest fishing.  We will keep getting hits here and there until about 11pm.  Then it seems to calm down until about 3am and then they start hitting decent again until daylight.  I rarely ever see the morning bite anymore lol.  We just fish the evening until about 11pm anymore, earlier if it is slow fishing.
I always fish the hole at the upper end of the current going through it so that the scent of the bait goes through the whole hole.  Most times this will be the upriver end, but in back eddies it is the down river end. (and always try to make sure your bait is the first one encountered when they follow the scent up through the current if fishing with buddies!)  Twisted Evil
Back to top Go down
Marty
Site Moderator
Site Moderator
Marty

PostSubject: Re: Speaking of Catfishing........   Speaking of Catfishing........ - Page 2 EmptyMarch 27th 2019, 11:35 am

I know exactly what you are talking about Renegadehunter when it comes to fishing a big river...especially those that are high and/or muddy with the spring runoff.   Stubborn to get to the hotter spots, I've taken my boat out in high-waters more than once and ended-up saying:  What a Face  " this was definitely NOT a good idea ".     Shocked

Springtime runoff or sudden, heavy rainfall episodes will put food in the river which is always good for the fish. Smile
Back to top Go down
Marty
Site Moderator
Site Moderator
Marty

PostSubject: Re: Speaking of Catfishing........   Speaking of Catfishing........ - Page 2 EmptyApril 5th 2019, 7:02 am

The lower reaches Susquehanna River in PA is where I've had some really hairy boat expeditions.  Check out this video I came across.
 https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SV3Rs_Bbu0Q
Back to top Go down

Speaking of Catfishing........
Page 2 of 2Go to page : Previous  1, 2

Permissions in this forum:You cannot reply to topics in this forum
Frontier Muzzleloading :: Fishing Forum :: Fishing-
Jump to: