Frontier Muzzleloading
Welcome to Frontier Muzzleloading!

Please take the time to either Register or Log In to your user name and join us!

Muzzleloading Forum

HomeFAQRegisterLog in

What Bullets/Powders to test?

Go down 
AuthorMessage
muzzle-loader

muzzle-loader

Number of posts : 53
Registration date : 2014-05-01

What Bullets/Powders to test? Empty
PostSubject: What Bullets/Powders to test?   What Bullets/Powders to test? EmptyApril 26th 2018, 4:40 pm

In the next week, we are going to be spending a lot of time at the range doing some bullet testing. While we have some generalized data, our goal is to have specific load data with each muzzleloader model, bullet, powder, and primer. We are going to be measuring accuracy, velocity, and trajectory of various loads. 

This begs the question, what bullets, powders, and primers are you most interested in seeing us test? Is there a specific load that you want to be tested out of a particular gun? Keep in mind, this will only be on modern inlines, but our goal is to also do a traditional test in the near future as well.

What Bullets/Powders to test? Logo15
Back to top Go down
http://www.muzzle-loaders.com
patocazador

patocazador

Number of posts : 5853
Registration date : 2012-08-22

PostSubject: Re: What Bullets/Powders to test?   What Bullets/Powders to test? EmptyApril 26th 2018, 4:50 pm

260 and 300 gr. PT gold bullets in Harvester EZ load sabots using BlackHorn 209 powder.

"My reading of history convinces me that most bad government results from too much government." -Thomas Jefferson
Back to top Go down
FrontierGander
Site
Site
FrontierGander

Male Number of posts : 16149
Registration date : 2008-05-19

PostSubject: Re: What Bullets/Powders to test?   What Bullets/Powders to test? EmptyApril 26th 2018, 5:21 pm

250gr Thor Original VS One Size Fits All Thor. 100 & 110 grains Blackhorn209 powder of course.
Back to top Go down
https://www.frontiermuzzleloading.com
smokering

Number of posts : 19
Registration date : 2018-09-26

PostSubject: Re: What Bullets/Powders to test?   What Bullets/Powders to test? EmptySeptember 26th 2018, 11:53 am

Been testing bullet/sabot combos for fit in my accura mr. With the breach plug out I see light around
 the bullet. They have good load resistance does anyone know if this is normal or are they still too loose? The ones that no light can be seen around are TMZ,s and scorpion pt with mmp 12 sabot, but they are a bear to load. Ive tried a lot of combos in this gun and cant get the performance that seems to be the norm for this gun.
Back to top Go down
muzzle-loader

muzzle-loader

Number of posts : 53
Registration date : 2014-05-01

PostSubject: Re: What Bullets/Powders to test?   What Bullets/Powders to test? EmptySeptember 26th 2018, 12:44 pm

@smokering wrote:
Been testing bullet/sabot combos for fit in my accura mr. With the breach plug out I see light around
 the bullet. They have good load resistance does anyone know if this is normal or are they still too loose? The ones that no light can be seen around are TMZ,s and scorpion pt with mmp 12 sabot, but they are a bear to load. Ive tried a lot of combos in this gun and cant get the performance that seems to be the norm for this gun.
I'd recommend 110 grains by volume of Blackhorn 209 with either the Barnes T-EZ 250gr, or PowerBelt AeroLite 250gr. Either of those bullets, with the CCI 209 Magnum primers should result in about a 1" group at 100 yards.

What Bullets/Powders to test? Logo15
Back to top Go down
http://www.muzzle-loaders.com
beaverbank270

Number of posts : 1
Registration date : 2018-09-25

PostSubject: Re: What Bullets/Powders to test?   What Bullets/Powders to test? EmptySeptember 26th 2018, 1:24 pm

Wouldn't mind seeing something with Hornady 250 grain. monoflex (.458) and BH209. I'm also shooting a CVA MR.
Back to top Go down
FrontierGander
Site
Site
FrontierGander

PostSubject: Re: What Bullets/Powders to test?   What Bullets/Powders to test? EmptySeptember 26th 2018, 3:22 pm

@smokering wrote:

Once you seat the sabot on the powder charge, the powder will squish under the bullet and flare the sabot slightly and seal it. Otherwise, even with a conical, you will see some light around the bullet in the grooves.
Back to top Go down
smokering

Number of posts : 19
Registration date : 2018-09-26

PostSubject: Re: What Bullets/Powders to test?   What Bullets/Powders to test? EmptySeptember 30th 2018, 5:11 pm

Shot the M.R. Saturday with the blackhorn, cci mag primers, and 250 tez. 1.6'' group with two touching.
The 260 scorpions with smooth black sabot shot 1.7 with two touching. Both had the 3rd shot low, I am
happy to hunt with either of these loads. Thanks for the suggestions. I am however getting more blow back with the cci primers, I have the firing pin shimmed for w 209 and it seals good, need to work on the cci's. I've heard by some that the w 209 are plenty hot enough for blackhorn and are considered a mag primmer ????
Back to top Go down
FrontierGander
Site
Site
FrontierGander

PostSubject: Re: What Bullets/Powders to test?   What Bullets/Powders to test? EmptySeptember 30th 2018, 5:56 pm

W209 primers are longer, thats why you get a little more blow by with the cci's.

The W209 works perfectly fine with BH209.
Back to top Go down

What Bullets/Powders to test?
Page 1 of 1

Permissions in this forum:You cannot reply to topics in this forum
Frontier Muzzleloading :: Muzzleloading Topic :: Modern Muzzleloading-
Jump to: