Frontier Muzzleloading
Welcome to Frontier Muzzleloading!

Please take the time to either Register or Log In to your user name and join us!

MUZZLELOADING FORUM

HomeGalleryFAQSearchRegisterLog in

Ads

Share | 

Jacketed or Pure Lead?

Go down 
AuthorMessage
oneshot 1

Number of posts : 455
Registration date : 2012-04-23

PostSubject: Jacketed or Pure Lead?   Mon 7 May - 11:22

Ok I have many of both for my Inlines and Sidelocks.

Killed with both Jacketed and Pure Lead Bullets. Ok most want a Bullet holding together so they like the Jacketed .

Am I weird liking the Pure Lead? To me it spreads more and might break up. To me both good.

Ok I know both will kill but I have more confidence in pure Lead so I'll probably stay with it but I still have hundreds of rounds Jacketed.

I killed a 450 pound Hog with a 45Cal. 180gr. Jacketed but still don't have the confidence.

Thoughts and Ideas?

oneshot
Back to top Go down
View user profile
John Neslen

Number of posts : 507
Registration date : 2015-02-28

PostSubject: Re: Jacketed or Pure Lead?   Mon 7 May - 20:01

For me it would depend on the animal hunted, distance of expected shots, needing an exit wound etc.

John
Back to top Go down
View user profile
oneshot 1

PostSubject: Re: Jacketed or Pure Lead?   Mon 7 May - 21:44

Mostly White Tail Deer. 80-100 yards.

The Ram in my Avatar was killed with pure Lead.

oneshot
Back to top Go down
View user profile
FrontierGander
Forum
Forum

Male Number of posts : 15450
Registration date : 2008-05-19

PostSubject: Re: Jacketed or Pure Lead?   Mon 7 May - 21:52

Lead kills just fine.
Back to top Go down
View user profile https://www.frontiermuzzleloading.com
oneshot 1

PostSubject: Re: Jacketed or Pure Lead?   Tue 8 May - 7:00

Ok when I run out of Pure Lead do I just buy more or use up the Jacketed Bullets I have?

oneshot
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Sparkitoff

Number of posts : 57
Registration date : 2018-06-08

PostSubject: Re: Jacketed or Pure Lead?   Thu 12 Jul - 11:15

In my experience, few pure lead projectile break up.  The lead is malleable and will deform readily upon resistance and counter-pressure. Hardcast bullets are usually lead with another element or two that creates a brittleness.  I've had these type smear and break. 

Now jacketed bullets are so varied that a blanket statement really cant be used. Some are cup-and-core where a lead insert is wrapped in copper. Some are "bonded".  Some companies bond bullets by gluing them to the jacket, some electrochemically, etc. Then there is the matter of jacket thickness and jacket rigidity. This is the overall thickness of copper and the taper to the tip (thickness) and rigidity is construction of the jacket upon the lead. This would include whether the jacket fully encased the base of the bullet or if there is exposed core showing; slits, holes and spaces formed into the jacket at the nose and a few other factors. Lastly, the nose configuration varies widely.  Hollow-point, exposed flatnose, cupped-point, exposed metplat only.... and so on.

Jacketed bullets are designed to perform as intended by the manufacturer within a certain velocity range and under certain resistance. Outside of those parameters all bets are off.

Mostly what the jacket does is control the rate of expansion or prevent it when it is within the parameters mentioned above. 

So when you say the jacketed bullets stay together that really applies to a certain bullet under certain circumstances.

Pure lead can and will stay together under quite a variety of circumstances. It is also subject to change shape easily.  Kind of like a clay ball. You throw it against the wall, it gets a flat spot where it hit. You hit an edge with the clay ball, a "V" is impressed in it. If you threw it really fast or threw it between two fence pickets so of the clay might peel off as it tries to move away from the force. Interestingly, a sphere is one of the strongest shapes for lead to be in. The counter resistance is dispersed equally throughout the ball. If it happens to be spinning the effect on the lead is spread over more area of the sphere an it changes shape less. 

I recently shot an elk with a lead ,530 PRB at 79 yards in the shoulder. The ball surprisingly it remained a sphere shape. There was a line impressed in it where it nicked a bone.  This was a Hornady ball that is supposed to be swaged pure lead.  On the same trip I shot a deer with a Hornady pure lead conical in .50 cal. It struck the deer in nearly the same spot as my shot on the elk. This bullet mushroomed at the top and caved in at the bottom. So - pure lead is a little unpredictable. Nonetheless, in both cases the pure lead projectile didn't break up. I've used a lot of Cheap Shot sabots in the past which are supposed to be pure lead .452's and are shallow hollow points. Of those I recovered, most looked like little "T's" where the nose flattened and widened. 

oneshot 1 I don't know you or your experiences and it is not my intent to provide a long-winded lesson for you.  You asked a good question that deserves some consideration. My intentions were to provide a lot of info for the person reading this that is not familiar with the physics and mechanics of what we're discussing. My 12 year old boys read this and frequently ask "is XYZ what he is talking about" or "what does that mean".  I hope I provided a lot of useful info for someone inquisitive that is not familiar with all this.

You've not weird liking pure lead!  It works great, particularly at velocities that ML's generally produce and most of the time the projectiles are much cheaper. Plus, you could make them yourself!
Back to top Go down
View user profile
patocazador

Number of posts : 5862
Registration date : 2012-08-22

PostSubject: Re: Jacketed or Pure Lead?   Thu 12 Jul - 19:30

Great post, Sparkitoff.  :rtup

"My reading of history convinces me that most bad government results from too much government." -Thomas Jefferson
Back to top Go down
View user profile
forrest-hunter

Male Number of posts : 20
Registration date : 2016-04-18

PostSubject: Re: Jacketed or Pure Lead?   Tue 17 Jul - 12:43

great topic
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Jacketed or Pure Lead?   

Back to top Go down