Frontier Muzzleloading
Welcome to Frontier Muzzleloading!

Please take the time to either Register or Log In to your user name and join us!

Muzzleloading Forum

HomeGalleryFAQSearchRegisterLog in

Ads

Share | 

One of the old man's antiques sold again....

Go down 
AuthorMessage
Buck Conner
Site Moderator &
Site Moderator &

Male Number of posts : 2456
Registration date : 2015-10-20

PostSubject: One of the old man's antiques sold again....   May 9th 2018, 7:19 am

I posted this horn that my father sold years ago. It has now popped up again for sale at Cowan's Auction. Still looks the same with a little darker patina since we had the horn back in the 50's.

Beautifully engraved powder horn measuring 12" through the curve.  The octagonal spout measures 2.5" from the smooth raised ring.  Engraved in banner "David Carter His Horn AD. 1778." Several engraved wilderness animals such as an elk, bear and 2 deer.  A couple mythical animals engraved such as a half horse and mermaid next to an a gentleman on horseback.  Wood base with lobe and wood pegs.  Engrailed edge. Accompanying this lot is a copy of David Carter's Pension Application from the state of Georgia dated 1832.
David Carter entered the militia in North Carolina as a volunteer under Captain Martin in the spring of 1778.  In June of 1779, Carter entered the main army of General Rutherford at Peedee and was transitioned into a rifle company.  The company was in battle at Camden and was defeated upon which Carter was taken prisoner and served 11 months on prison ships. After, his exchange Carter returned home before enlisting in the militia again as a substitute. He served on the frontier as a guard against the Shawnee Indians under Captain Owens.

Condition:
This horn displays a pleasing yellowing patina with some areas blending to a darker brown. All engraving is sharp and crisp and done by the same hand. The raised ring through the spout have an even light brown patina. Overall a very good identified horn with good history.

Price Realized Including Buyer's Premium
$10,575
05/02/2018

My father would roll over on this one. The prices of these items just keep going up, the better the condition the higher the prices in today's market.

Back to top Go down
View user profile http://grrwca..com/
Buck Conner
Site Moderator &
Site Moderator &

PostSubject: Re: One of the old man's antiques sold again....   May 9th 2018, 8:27 am

This horn popped up on Cowan's Auction site last month, I posted here about once owning this horn. A few days later a member here wrote me about this horn.

Sent: Tuesday, April 17, 2018 12:59 PM
To: Brad
Subject: Re: David Carter His Horn AD. 1778

It was at one time in our collection, purchased with a group of horns from another collector, we had no known provenance on this horn, that was done at that time. Just a nice old horn, never did anything with following up on who or where Carter was from. Doing the provenance 50 -70 years ago was usually only done on items that were of important previous owners like know scouts, leaders, or major player in our history. It was just an item to be traded for something another item or more interest. Today collectors do provenance on everything to justify the value, then try and use that to raise the selling price which I'm sure your well aware of. So much for just enjoying that item - now its about the mighty buck $$$.

Buck Conner

On Tue, Apr 17, 2018 at 5:45 AM, Brad wrote:
Hello,
I saw this message on the forum and wanted to know if you are the poster or knew the poster.
My interest in in bidding on the horn. I contacted Cowan's and they are trying to get a little provenance but there does not seem to be much they know of.
https://www.frontiermuzzleloading.com/t11724-collecting-good-quality-antique-wares
It seems from this post the horn was in your “father’s” collection at least 60 years ago.

*** My concern was that the horn looked “too new” just not enough wear to the horn itself. Scrimshaw and torn are so even and the wear on the horn (minus the butt) seems almost non existent.

Any information would be so much appreciated!
Thanks,
Brad

Fun stuff guys, you never know when an old item may come back around....

Back to top Go down
Buck Conner
Site Moderator &
Site Moderator &

PostSubject: Re: One of the old man's antiques sold again....   June 3rd 2018, 9:21 pm

This original powderhorn sold for over $10,500 recently WOW.  I think my father got less than $500 in the late 1950's when he sold it and thought he took advantage of another collector.

Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: One of the old man's antiques sold again....   

Back to top Go down

One of the old man's antiques sold again....
Page 1 of 1

Permissions in this forum:You cannot reply to topics in this forum
Frontier Muzzleloading :: Muzzleloading Topic :: Shooting Accessories & Hunter Misc.-
Jump to: