Frontier Muzzleloading
Welcome to Frontier Muzzleloading!

Please take the time to either Register or Log In to your user name and join us!

Muzzleloading Forum

HomeFAQRegisterLog in

Ok I Know It Is Not True Traditional But?

Go down 
AuthorMessage
oneshot 1

oneshot 1

Number of posts : 589
Registration date : 2012-04-23

Ok I Know It Is Not True Traditional But? Empty
PostSubject: Ok I Know It Is Not True Traditional But?   Ok I Know It Is Not True Traditional But? EmptyMay 13th 2018, 9:39 pm

Got a 54Cal. CVA Sidelock, got regular Blued Barrel and Adjustable Sights.

Ok I've shot Fixed Sights and do like them. But should I take up time making changes on this Rifle? My way of thinking I have fun with it and no matter what I do it will still be a CVA Sidelock.

oneshot
Back to top Go down
FrontierGander
Site
Site
FrontierGander

Male Number of posts : 16283
Registration date : 2008-05-19

PostSubject: Re: Ok I Know It Is Not True Traditional But?   Ok I Know It Is Not True Traditional But? EmptyMay 13th 2018, 9:54 pm

Most rendezvous will not allow adjustable sights, I don't see an issue with these as they are not like adjustable target/peep sights. But if you are shooting for fun on your own time and hunting, that sight is perfectly fine.

I run the factory adjustable sight just like that on my traditions, but i installed a german silver front blade sight for better view up front.
Back to top Go down
Randy Johnson

Number of posts : 235
Registration date : 2014-03-17

PostSubject: Re: Ok I Know It Is Not True Traditional But?   Ok I Know It Is Not True Traditional But? EmptyMay 14th 2018, 1:13 pm

Unless you participate in certain primitive matches it doesn't make any difference. And not all primitive shoots disallow them.
As far as authtenticty is concerned, adjustable sights are not exactly a 20th century invention. They were plenty common on post Civil War rifles and not exactly rare before that.
Back to top Go down
burlesontom

Male Number of posts : 168
Registration date : 2018-04-10

PostSubject: Re: Ok I Know It Is Not True Traditional But?   Ok I Know It Is Not True Traditional But? EmptyMay 15th 2018, 2:50 pm

Just shoot your gun and enjoy it. And if you decide to use conical type bullets to hunt with you will be glad your sights are adjustable. I mostly shoot round balls but have Lee R.E.A.L. bullets and Lee Improved Minies for my guns and past 50 yards there is a difference in impact point between the two loads.

And let me tell you those Lee Minnies really blow a hole through Elk. My first Elk was killed with a 54 Cabelas Hawken.
Back to top Go down
oneshot 1

oneshot 1

Number of posts : 589
Registration date : 2012-04-23

PostSubject: Re: Ok I Know It Is Not True Traditional But?   Ok I Know It Is Not True Traditional But? EmptyMay 15th 2018, 7:47 pm

My rifle kills plenty fine with Patch and Ball, tried Conicals and yes I have to adjust my sights.

Got a Double Barrel Muzzeloading Shotgun. The barrels I'm stuck with but it is really only good out 25 yards but love hunting with it.

This is kind of like when I shot Bow, I used Factory Recurve Bow and was very Good shot. I was outshooting Guys with Compounds. it is a matter of knowing your weapon and loving it even though it isn't for everyone.

oneshot
Back to top Go down

Ok I Know It Is Not True Traditional But?
Page 1 of 1

Permissions in this forum:You cannot reply to topics in this forum
Frontier Muzzleloading :: Muzzleloading Topic :: Traditional Muzzleloading-
Jump to: