Frontier Muzzleloading
Welcome to Frontier Muzzleloading!

Please take the time to either Register or Log In to your user name and join us!

Muzzleloading Forum

HomeFAQRegisterLog in

Front Sight recommendation - CVA, PeepRib

Go down 
AuthorMessage
Longrangr

Number of posts : 3
Registration date : 2018-05-20

Front Sight recommendation - CVA, PeepRib Empty
PostSubject: Front Sight recommendation - CVA, PeepRib   Front Sight recommendation - CVA, PeepRib EmptyMay 20th 2018, 5:25 pm

For a CVA Optima V2 nitride,  it has a EABrown PeepRib rear sight.  Options: 1/16" white or brass bead, Williams FireSight fiber optic or a Lyman globe.

Hunting Colorado elk, mostly hunt in aspen/evergreen timber. 65 year old eyes.

The globe type I am familiar with from NRA HighPower shooting at 600/1000 yd.  Will insert disappear in low light?  Any experience with glow-in-dark paint on the inserts?

FireSight or similar, too large diameter for longer ranges?  Fragile?

1/16" white/brass bead - OK for longer shots, dim light issue?

Thanks in advance for your opinions!!

Longrangr
Back to top Go down
Longrangr

Number of posts : 3
Registration date : 2018-05-20

Front Sight recommendation - CVA, PeepRib Empty
PostSubject: Re: Front Sight recommendation - CVA, PeepRib   Front Sight recommendation - CVA, PeepRib EmptyJuly 8th 2018, 4:56 pm

I installed a Lyman globe sight, no shimming of rear sight has been necessary.  Using a crosshairs insert I got 2 MOA groups out to 200 yards off the bench and 2-1/2 MOA using a sling in sitting and reverse kneeling using a post for a rest in kneeling.  Painted a post insert with glow in dark paint and I think that will work well for low light shooting.  I can see the glowing post in the globe all the way to the end of legal shooting time after "charging" it with a flashlight.  I haven't shot it yet with the post but I expect it will work well.  I have quite a bit of experience with peep rear and post front sight combination.  Used 100 gr Blackhorn, Thor 300 gr bullets.  
Back to top Go down

Front Sight recommendation - CVA, PeepRib
Page 1 of 1

Permissions in this forum:You cannot reply to topics in this forum
Frontier Muzzleloading :: Muzzleloading Topic :: Modern Muzzleloading-
Jump to: