Share | 

Another dumb new guy question

Go down 
AuthorMessage
hdrk1111

Number of posts : 3
Registration date : 2018-06-04

PostSubject: Another dumb new guy question   June 4th 2018, 8:49 pm

So I did my first BP Hunt last year with a borrowed TC Triumph. It was off hand at 114 yards and a doe in the bag. I had so much fun getting away from CF that this year I have just ordered a TC Triumph for myself. After reading all these post about CVA I am worrying I may have moved too soon and made a mistake. Are TC’s not as good in quality as CVA ? My buddy who obviously owns TC kinda sold me them being of the highest quality.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
FrontierGander
Forum
Forum

Male Number of posts : 15249
Registration date : 2008-05-19

PostSubject: Re: Another dumb new guy question   June 4th 2018, 8:51 pm

I wouldn't say TC is of the highest quality, far from that. But they do make a solid product. Ever sense S&W took over some years ago, their involvement in muzzleloaders has gone down the drain, but that does not hurt their accuracy any. I think you will be more than happy.

Now if you plan on shooting conical bullets, a TC is not the way to go.
Back to top Go down
View user profile https://www.frontiermuzzleloading.com
Kentucky Colonel
Site Moderator &
Site Moderator &

Male Number of posts : 1619
Registration date : 2015-10-28

PostSubject: Re: Another dumb new guy question   June 5th 2018, 5:19 am

FG has the right of it. That said, you will find that every one has a rifle that makes them smile in a way that maybe some one else would not. 

"I had so much fun..." Yeah? So, you went out and got your own version of the rifle that let that happen. Good for you! Trust how a rifle makes you feel. There is often a truth in that feeling that others may not know because it might be unique to you. 

A few thoughts on 'mistake' rifles

1.  I have orangutan arms. Some rifles that others absolutely love do not physically mesh well with my frame. I have made the mistake of listening to their opinions rather than the ergonomic feel of the weapon in my hands.

2.  I have fallen in 'love' with rifles loaned to me by friends that were 'special' just because of the happy association with a friend or a happy shoot. These are not the 'best' rifles. But, they sure were fun and some would call them a 'mistake.'

3.  A perfect rifle for one guy may be a mistake for another. Why are you shooting? Are you a history buff? OK. Then you might get more enjoyment from a smooth bore trade rifle than a more modern synthetic stock BP rifle. (One of these would definitely be a mistake for me.) If range and intense accuracy are your thing? 114 is a fair distance... and coyotes? I am guessing the smooth bore would not fit your current reason to be shooting. (Reasons evolve)

4.  Rifles have 'fallen' across my path without me planning over the years. Some were genuine mistakes. But, every single one of these taught me something and allowed me to have fun before I moved on. A rifle is not a marriage. You can have more than one. 

I am as susceptible to 'rifle envy' as anybody. But, I have learned a lesson over time. If it feels good, shoot it. Enjoy your new rifle. Unless... there is a problem. In which case, learn from it and move on to the next one. That can be fun, too. 

Florida Muzzleloaders Association 
Central Florida Muzzleloaders 
Green River Rifle Works Collectors Association
NMLRA
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Buck Conner
Site Moderator &
Site Moderator &

Male Number of posts : 2372
Registration date : 2015-10-20

PostSubject: Re: Another dumb new guy question   June 5th 2018, 11:19 am

Good posts guys, good information for the new guy.  :rtup

Back to top Go down
View user profile http://grrwca..com/
muzzle-loader

Number of posts : 40
Registration date : 2014-05-01

PostSubject: Re: Another dumb new guy question   June 8th 2018, 3:25 pm

@hdrk1111 wrote:
So I did my first BP Hunt last year with a borrowed TC Triumph. It was off hand at 114 yards and a doe in the bag. I had so much fun getting away from CF that this year I have just ordered a TC Triumph for myself. After reading all these post about CVA I am worrying I may have moved too soon and made a mistake. Are TC’s not as good in quality as CVA ? My buddy who obviously owns TC kinda sold me them being of the highest quality.
I don't think you made a mistake at all. While the CVA's certainly have the edge over TC in some areas, they are slight and the Triumph is a great gun.

Personally, I believe you'll experience similar accuracy and quality with the Triumph and Accura. The real differences are in stock design and breeching levers. I personally like the CVA breeching lever more, as the Triumph can be difficult to open and close at times. Other than that, it's small differences overall and a lot of it is personal preference.

With that being said, I do agree with FG, that TC has not put a lot of effort in new muzzleloaders. We will see what the future holds, whether they bring a new model to market soon, or they continue to make cosmetic changes to their current lines. Unfortunately, with Smith & Wesson at the helm, they have much higher production minimums and most muzzleloader models don't come close enough to warrant a new model.

Back to top Go down
View user profile http://www.muzzle-loaders.com
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Another dumb new guy question   

Back to top Go down

Another dumb new guy question
Page 1 of 1

Permissions in this forum:You cannot reply to topics in this forum
Frontier Muzzleloading :: Muzzleloading Topic :: Modern Muzzleloading-
Jump to: