Frontier Muzzleloading
Welcome to Frontier Muzzleloading!

Please take the time to either Register or Log In to your user name and join us!

MUZZLELOADING FORUM

HomeGalleryFAQSearchRegisterLog in

Ads

Share | 

GRRW .50cal Hawken Flintlock Accuracy Test

Go down 
AuthorMessage
FrontierGander
Forum
Forum

Male Number of posts : 15450
Registration date : 2008-05-19

PostSubject: GRRW .50cal Hawken Flintlock Accuracy Test   June 6th 2018, 8:24 pm

Laughing Laughing Laughing Laughing  I can not remove the smile off my face!

I enlarged the vent hole to 1/16th" and she is instant! I still use 6 grains 4fg as it seemed best. I could hold steady on target and not even flinch.

The rear sight for my eyes is to close, so its a bit fuzzy when aiming at a distant target.

I took 10 shots with me, but only 9 hit paper. The other is still attached to the screw because I forgot one important step.... Powder. Embarassed

I used 70gr 3fg Goex, .015" Bridgers Best patch and only used spit as a lube. Topped off the load with a home cast .490" round ball.

This rifle is just a blast to shoot! I am going to practice a little more with it tomorrow with my Shoot Out patch lube and start cleaning up anything I can not see in the bore.

Distance: 50 Yards

Back to top Go down
View user profile https://www.frontiermuzzleloading.com
Buck Conner
Site Moderator &
Site Moderator &

Male Number of posts : 2647
Registration date : 2015-10-20

PostSubject: Re: GRRW .50cal Hawken Flintlock Accuracy Test   June 7th 2018, 10:48 am

Back when still in business GRRW was the gun to own if you were a buckskinner. I was one of three dealers for them in Northern Colorado, these guns sold before you put them out or could get them out of their packaging. At the time they were twice the amount of money of a T/C or a CVA, that didn't seem to hurt the selling. Today a GRRW kit unassembled will $1000 (as seen with the Leman Trade Rifle) and higher, factory built guns are bringing twice that amount.

For 10-12 years after GRRW had closed their doors we were still buying - selling or trading for them. On one occasion I drove over 75 miles one way to pick one up a GRRW Hawken half stock like KC's, before I got back to the shop several hours later there were two buckskinners waiting to see the rifle. 

That rifle didn't even have a chance to get cleaned or us to play with it, it was SOLD and gone within minutes from getting in the door.   :tup2  While the two waited for their chance at buying the GRRW they spent over $500 on accessories, good day for all involved.  :rtup

Back to top Go down
View user profile http://grrwca..com/
Buck Conner
Site Moderator &
Site Moderator &

Male Number of posts : 2647
Registration date : 2015-10-20

PostSubject: Re: GRRW .50cal Hawken Flintlock Accuracy Test   June 7th 2018, 4:07 pm

@FrontierGander wrote:
Laughing Laughing Laughing Laughing  I can not remove the smile off my face!

I enlarged the vent hole to 1/16th" and she is instant! I still use 6 grains 4fg as it seemed best. I could hold steady on target and not even flinch.

The rear sight for my eyes is to close, so its a bit fuzzy when aiming at a distant target.

I took 10 shots with me, but only 9 hit paper. The other is still attached to the screw because I forgot one important step.... Powder. Embarassed

I used 70gr 3fg Goex, .015" Bridgers Best patch and only used spit as a lube. Topped off the load with a home cast .490" round ball.

This rifle is just a blast to shoot! I am going to practice a little more with it tomorrow with my Shoot Out patch lube and start cleaning up anything I can not see in the bore.

Distance: 50 Yards

Jonathan why don't you shoot the "Third Postal Match" with this gun, that would be a HOOT....   lol!  

That would have the blokes from down under shakin' in their boots.  They do wear boots don't they ???  Question   headslap   Tease

Thanks for the post on this rifle, the GRRW guys are interested in how it comes out.  Dunno   :rtup

Back to top Go down
View user profile http://grrwca..com/
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: GRRW .50cal Hawken Flintlock Accuracy Test   

Back to top Go down

GRRW .50cal Hawken Flintlock Accuracy Test
Page 1 of 1

Permissions in this forum:You cannot reply to topics in this forum
Frontier Muzzleloading :: Muzzleloading Topic :: The Shooting Range-
Jump to: