Frontier Muzzleloading
Welcome to Frontier Muzzleloading!

Please take the time to either Register or Log In to your user name and join us!

Muzzleloading Forum

HomeGalleryFAQSearchRegisterLog in

Ads

Share | 

cva optima v2 pistol

Go down 
AuthorMessage
JIMYJAC

Number of posts : 30
Registration date : 2015-07-15

PostSubject: cva optima v2 pistol   June 28th 2018, 2:15 pm

looking to add a pistol to my collection. Has anyone have any experience with this model. Likes, dislikes? Thanks
Back to top Go down
View user profile
strong eagle

Number of posts : 534
Registration date : 2016-10-11

PostSubject: Re: cva optima v2 pistol   June 28th 2018, 5:46 pm

i have one. very accurate. kicks way too much. i had a shoulder stock built for it. waiting for the money so i can make it into a rifle by putting a barrel liner in it with a 1/15 twist .358 barrel and shooting paperpatched bullets for target in it. way way too too much recoil for a muzzleloading hand gun. if you can handle recoil more than a 44 mag, go for it. it will shoot mmp sabots with a 300 grain 451 or 452 bullet in the same hole at 50 yards and shoot as far a a good rifle way out their. again, recoil is the problem. i put a after market breech plug for 209 powder in it and its a shooter. now some day as money allows i with make it a tack driving target rifle. have a nine power scope on it.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
JIMYJAC

PostSubject: Re: cva optima v2 pistol   June 28th 2018, 8:11 pm

got a 45lc and with bear loads thats all the recoil i want to handle in a handgun. Maybe my good idea isnt so good. Thanks
Back to top Go down
View user profile
McClura

Male Number of posts : 4
Registration date : 2015-12-31

PostSubject: Re: cva optima v2 pistol   July 6th 2018, 6:40 am

I have one and I only use 70 grns. of 777 with a 245grn power belt bullet. With the 4x scope the recoil is not an issue for me. It has taken 2 deer and shot clean through both. Any more powder than that seems to be a waste. There are some bullets, like the sabot/bullet combo that just don't shoot unless you bump the powder charges up some from 70 grains. I think with the sabot it needs more powder to seal the gas and get the bullet spinning. Just my thought, not sure. 
I have it loaned out right now to a friend that is going to use it in South TX for hunting pigs on a ranch. 
I was shooting for years the Encore 209x50 pistol barrel with a 4x scope but after handling the CVA, which is much lighter, I traded the Encore barrel for a Encore 15" 22 WMR barrel.
Can't go wrong with the Optima pistol.

JIMYJAC

PostSubject: Re: cva optima v2 pistol   July 6th 2018, 9:02 am

Thanks for the input. Just talked to CVA and they have discontinued them. Really no good reason except rep said folks were having a hard time shooting it. Seems odd. Been shooting my 45lc lately gotta make a deer load up for it! But i have always desired a bp pistol. Seems like a good one with the right load. Thanks again.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
patocazador

Number of posts : 5837
Registration date : 2012-08-22

PostSubject: Re: cva optima v2 pistol   July 6th 2018, 2:57 pm

I have an Optima pistol. I shoot 40 grains by weight of BH 209 and a 240 PT Gold with crush fit sabot. It is VERY accurate. As with any pistol of that type, you really need a rest for accurate shooting. Offhand is OK for close-up shots but a rest is always better.

"My reading of history convinces me that most bad government results from too much government." -Thomas Jefferson
Back to top Go down
View user profile
JIMYJAC

PostSubject: Re: cva optima v2 pistol   July 6th 2018, 3:11 pm

handgun shooting seems to be a perishable skill. i am right handed and left eye dominate. i don`t patch my eye, i have trained myself to keep both eyes open and line my sights up under my left eye. Seems to work well.If i get the optima i would hunt with a rest out of a blind. Good advise Thanks
Back to top Go down
View user profile
strong eagle

Number of posts : 534
Registration date : 2016-10-11

PostSubject: Re: cva optima v2 pistol   July 6th 2018, 4:49 pm

my son is right handed and left eye dominant also. when he started hunting deer at 8 years old he learned to shoot his .270 left handed. still shoots a rifle that ways.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: cva optima v2 pistol   

Back to top Go down

cva optima v2 pistol
Page 1 of 1

Permissions in this forum:You cannot reply to topics in this forum
Frontier Muzzleloading :: Muzzleloading Topic :: Black Powder Hand Guns-
Jump to: