Frontier Muzzleloading
Welcome to Frontier Muzzleloading!

Please take the time to either Register or Log In to your user name and join us!

Muzzleloading Forum

HomeFAQRegisterLog in

cva optima v2 pistol

Go down 
AuthorMessage
JIMYJAC

Number of posts : 35
Registration date : 2015-07-15

cva optima v2 pistol Empty
PostSubject: cva optima v2 pistol   cva optima v2 pistol EmptyJune 28th 2018, 2:15 pm

looking to add a pistol to my collection. Has anyone have any experience with this model. Likes, dislikes? Thanks
Back to top Go down
The author of this message was banned from the forum - See the message
JIMYJAC

PostSubject: Re: cva optima v2 pistol   cva optima v2 pistol EmptyJune 28th 2018, 8:11 pm

got a 45lc and with bear loads thats all the recoil i want to handle in a handgun. Maybe my good idea isnt so good. Thanks
Back to top Go down
McClura

McClura

Male Number of posts : 5
Registration date : 2015-12-31

PostSubject: Re: cva optima v2 pistol   cva optima v2 pistol EmptyJuly 6th 2018, 6:40 am

I have one and I only use 70 grns. of 777 with a 245grn power belt bullet. With the 4x scope the recoil is not an issue for me. It has taken 2 deer and shot clean through both. Any more powder than that seems to be a waste. There are some bullets, like the sabot/bullet combo that just don't shoot unless you bump the powder charges up some from 70 grains. I think with the sabot it needs more powder to seal the gas and get the bullet spinning. Just my thought, not sure. 
I have it loaned out right now to a friend that is going to use it in South TX for hunting pigs on a ranch. 
I was shooting for years the Encore 209x50 pistol barrel with a 4x scope but after handling the CVA, which is much lighter, I traded the Encore barrel for a Encore 15" 22 WMR barrel.
Can't go wrong with the Optima pistol.

PostSubject: Re: cva optima v2 pistol   cva optima v2 pistol EmptyJuly 6th 2018, 9:02 am

Thanks for the input. Just talked to CVA and they have discontinued them. Really no good reason except rep said folks were having a hard time shooting it. Seems odd. Been shooting my 45lc lately gotta make a deer load up for it! But i have always desired a bp pistol. Seems like a good one with the right load. Thanks again.
Back to top Go down
patocazador

patocazador

Number of posts : 5853
Registration date : 2012-08-22

PostSubject: Re: cva optima v2 pistol   cva optima v2 pistol EmptyJuly 6th 2018, 2:57 pm

I have an Optima pistol. I shoot 40 grains by weight of BH 209 and a 240 PT Gold with crush fit sabot. It is VERY accurate. As with any pistol of that type, you really need a rest for accurate shooting. Offhand is OK for close-up shots but a rest is always better.

"My reading of history convinces me that most bad government results from too much government." -Thomas Jefferson
Back to top Go down
JIMYJAC

PostSubject: Re: cva optima v2 pistol   cva optima v2 pistol EmptyJuly 6th 2018, 3:11 pm

handgun shooting seems to be a perishable skill. i am right handed and left eye dominate. i don`t patch my eye, i have trained myself to keep both eyes open and line my sights up under my left eye. Seems to work well.If i get the optima i would hunt with a rest out of a blind. Good advise Thanks
Back to top Go down
The author of this message was banned from the forum - See the message

cva optima v2 pistol
Page 1 of 1

Permissions in this forum:You cannot reply to topics in this forum
Frontier Muzzleloading :: Muzzleloading Topic :: Black Powder Hand Guns-
Jump to: