Frontier Muzzleloading
Welcome to Frontier Muzzleloading!

Please take the time to either Register or Log In to your user name and join us!

Muzzleloading Forum

HomeFAQRegisterLog in

Modern reloads with BP

Go down 
AuthorMessage
Hanshi

Hanshi

Male Number of posts : 344
Registration date : 2015-01-21

Modern reloads with BP Empty
PostSubject: Modern reloads with BP   Modern reloads with BP EmptyJune 28th 2018, 4:09 pm

I've had fun over the years loading .45 Colt, .38spl and .357 mag with black powder for use in modern revolvers.  The .357 is especially an eye opener.  I load the cases with 21 grains of 3F while the .38spl gets 19 or 20 grains and the .45 Colt about about 35 to near 40 grains.  I shoot the .38s and .357s in a S&W M65 (stainless) with a 3" barrel.  The .45s go in my BlackHawk.  

The .357 loads give much greater recoil than one would expect and accuracy is very impressive; ditto for the .45.  It's about the same as smokeless loads except for a wonderful cloud of smoke.  The Smith jumps markedly at the shot but I have yet to actually chronograph these loads - all with 158 grain lead bullet for the .38/.357 cals and 250 grain lead for the .45.  I have no qualms about staking my life on my revolvers, so loaded.  Anyone else load modern with BP?
Back to top Go down
http://www.martialartsusa.com
The author of this message was banned from the forum - See the message
Buck Conner
Site Moderator
Site Moderator
Buck Conner

Male Number of posts : 3441
Registration date : 2015-10-20

PostSubject: Re: Modern reloads with BP   Modern reloads with BP EmptyJuly 2nd 2018, 3:59 pm

@strong eagle wrote:
try black horn 209 powder, you will loooooooove it. no clean up same results.

Found the same strong eagle ...  :tup2

Back to top Go down
Hanshi

Hanshi

Male Number of posts : 344
Registration date : 2015-01-21

PostSubject: Re: Modern reloads with BP   Modern reloads with BP EmptyJuly 2nd 2018, 5:17 pm

But it just don't smell the same!
Back to top Go down
http://www.martialartsusa.com

Modern reloads with BP
Page 1 of 1

Permissions in this forum:You cannot reply to topics in this forum
Frontier Muzzleloading :: Modern Shooting :: Modern Shooters-
Jump to: