Frontier Muzzleloading
Welcome to Frontier Muzzleloading!

Please take the time to either Register or Log In to your user name and join us!

Muzzleloading Forum

HomeFAQRegisterLog in

Fifty years ago

Go down 
AuthorMessage
Randy Johnson

Number of posts : 235
Registration date : 2014-03-17

Fifty years ago Empty
PostSubject: Fifty years ago   Fifty years ago Empty2018-06-30, 18:18

I turned 66 today. 
Not that big of a deal in itself, but since I got my first muzzleloading rifle for my 16th birthday, today marks the beginning of my 50th year of shooting muzzleloaders.
That first rifle was a percussion FIE, and low end beginner quality. Today I marked the beginning of my 50th year in the sport my taking a first at a range I haven't even placed at in a long long time. The rifle today was a little better than my first one. It has a Bill Large barrel and Bob Roller lock and triggers. Once I find a set of sights that work for me it will be a consistent winner.
Back to top Go down
Kentucky Colonel

Kentucky Colonel

Male Number of posts : 1775
Registration date : 2015-10-28

Fifty years ago Empty
PostSubject: Re: Fifty years ago   Fifty years ago Empty2018-06-30, 19:20

This made me grin. Congratulations, Randy. And, well done. Happy birthday.king

Florida Muzzleloaders Association 
Central Florida Muzzleloaders 
Green River Rifle Works Collectors Association
NMLRA
Back to top Go down
FrontierGander
Site
Site
FrontierGander

Male Number of posts : 16344
Registration date : 2008-05-19

Fifty years ago Empty
PostSubject: Re: Fifty years ago   Fifty years ago Empty2018-06-30, 21:09

going on 19 for me!
Back to top Go down
hunting savage

Number of posts : 170
Registration date : 2014-05-03

Fifty years ago Empty
PostSubject: Re: Fifty years ago   Fifty years ago Empty2018-07-02, 15:39

HAPPY BIRTHDAY 66
Back to top Go down
Buck Conner
Site Moderator
Site Moderator
Buck Conner

Male Number of posts : 3488
Registration date : 2015-10-20

Fifty years ago Empty
PostSubject: Re: Fifty years ago   Fifty years ago Empty2018-07-02, 15:50

Going on ... let's see take 5 from 78 = 73 years of shooting black powder, holy crap I'm freekin' older than Pete.  Shocked   Where the heck did he go, hope the hogs didn't eat him ... Naw, he's safe, to sweet ...  affraid   study   Sleep

Back to top Go down
Hanshi

Hanshi

Male Number of posts : 351
Registration date : 2015-01-21

Fifty years ago Empty
PostSubject: Re: Fifty years ago   Fifty years ago Empty2018-07-02, 17:15

Happy birthday, Randy!
Back to top Go down
http://www.martialartsusa.com
Smokin' Joe
Forum
Forum
Smokin' Joe

Male Number of posts : 2075
Registration date : 2011-11-23

Fifty years ago Empty
PostSubject: Re: Fifty years ago   Fifty years ago Empty2018-07-03, 10:17

Happy belated Birthday Randy!!

Semper Fi……..
Back to top Go down
patocazador

patocazador

Number of posts : 5852
Registration date : 2012-08-22

Fifty years ago Empty
PostSubject: Re: Fifty years ago   Fifty years ago Empty2018-07-03, 10:37

I wish I were 66 again, Randy. Happy birthday.

"My reading of history convinces me that most bad government results from too much government." -Thomas Jefferson
Back to top Go down
Buck Conner
Site Moderator
Site Moderator
Buck Conner

Fifty years ago Empty
PostSubject: Re: Fifty years ago   Fifty years ago Empty2018-07-03, 10:53

@patocazador wrote:

Isn't that the truth, me too ....   :dodo

Back to top Go down
BrownBear

Number of posts : 320
Registration date : 2017-04-19

Fifty years ago Empty
PostSubject: Re: Fifty years ago   Fifty years ago Empty2018-07-03, 11:08

My first was upon my arrival in Alaska in 1975, a Navy Arms Pietta 12 gauge SxS. It became the one and only shotgun I used for everything from ducks to geese, ptarmigan to snowshoe hare. Then steel shot finally hit Alaska, and I sadly parted with it before decent alternatives came along. 

Once i was satisfied with non-tox shot for muzzleloaders, I picked up another about 15 years ago.  Gotta admit that I have a whole safe full of modern shotguns, but that lovely Pietta is the only one to take critters in all the years since.

A sensible man would just go ahead and get rid of the moderns, but my son-in-law is a really good guy and wants them.  Since he's deployed all the time and it's not easy or reasonable to move them between duty stations, I keep them stored for him.  He visits them often as he can, but it's never often enough for our tastes.  But here lately he's been eying my Pietta....  Inheriting that one is a horse of a different color, and hopefully he'll have to wait many years before it can happen!   Very Happy
Back to top Go down
Randy Johnson

Number of posts : 235
Registration date : 2014-03-17

Fifty years ago Empty
PostSubject: Re: Fifty years ago   Fifty years ago Empty2018-07-03, 11:18

@BrownBear wrote:
My first was upon my arrival in Alaska in 1975, a Navy Arms Pietta 12 gauge SxS. It became the one and only shotgun I used for everything from ducks to geese, ptarmigan to snowshoe hare. Then steel shot finally hit Alaska, and I sadly parted with it before decent alternatives came along. 

Once i was satisfied with non-tox shot for muzzleloaders, I picked up another about 15 years ago.  Gotta admit that I have a whole safe full of modern shotguns, but that lovely Pietta is the only one to take a critter in all the years since.
Bought one of those when they first came out. Log Cabin had one on display at the 72 spring or fall shoot and they were available shortly afterwards. I had an original English 10 gauge I used for trap but the Navy Arms 12 was my go to hunting gun.
My favorite memory with it was an after work squirrel hunt. I only wanted a couple for supper. I walked into the woods to my favorite spot, thumbed both hammers back, and fired two quick shots about twenty degrees apart. I had my pair of squirrels and was back home in less than twenty minutes.
I sold it when I lost a job back in 92. Many is the time I wish I still had it.
Back to top Go down
Hanshi

Hanshi

Fifty years ago Empty
PostSubject: Re: Fifty years ago   Fifty years ago Empty2018-07-03, 11:36

Quite a few years ago I picked up a Pedersoli 12ga, at the LGS, with 22" or 24" barrels, can't remember which.  It had chrome lined barrels so was safe with steel shot.  That gun was delightful, shot great but only killed one squirrel.  Most of the shooting was fun shooting rather than hunting.  I've never been able to shoot a double as well as a single barrel and I later decided I wanted a flintlock smoothbore so I sold it.  I really liked that gun, however, and it was nicely checkered & engraved; very fine looking gun.

I've had a .62 (20ga) flintlock for several years and love that gun.  I used it to kill the last deer I hunted.  It's very accurate with ball and puts shot just a couple inches below poa.  It has both rear and front sights.
Back to top Go down
Rick N Bama

Rick N Bama

Male Number of posts : 95
Location : North Alabama smack dab in the heart of Tornado Alley!
Registration date : 2017-11-23

Fifty years ago Empty
PostSubject: Re: Fifty years ago   Fifty years ago Empty2018-07-03, 17:14

@patocazador wrote:

I'm 70 so yes I wish I was 66 again myself.  Happy 66th Randy :suhlute
Back to top Go down
heelerau

heelerau

Male Number of posts : 176
Registration date : 2018-02-08

Fifty years ago Empty
PostSubject: Re: Fifty years ago   Fifty years ago Empty2018-07-04, 15:35

Happy 66th Randy !

Male Number of posts : 1
Registration date : 2018-10-18

Fifty years ago Empty
PostSubject: Re: Fifty years ago   Fifty years ago Empty2018-10-18, 18:25

New here,as of today. but happy birthday. Got my first muzzle loader on my 14th birthday and would hunt with it in all seasons. All family and friends thought I was Nuts. Been out of it for the Past 20 years just getting back in. My first was a Sile 50 Cal Hawkins. Watched Jeremiah Johnson and never been the same since.
Back to top Go down
burlesontom

Male Number of posts : 168
Registration date : 2018-04-10

Fifty years ago Empty
PostSubject: Re: Fifty years ago   Fifty years ago Empty2018-10-19, 10:24

I'm 61 and don't want to be 66. I want to be 30. My first BP rifle was bought around 1990. A Cabelas Hawken that my friend now owns. Its in 54 caliber. Once I learned how to use it it was a fun, accurate rifle. I killed my first elk with it.
Back to top Go down
Hilljack

Hilljack

Male Number of posts : 234
Registration date : 2014-04-03

Fifty years ago Empty
PostSubject: Re: Fifty years ago   Fifty years ago Empty2018-10-19, 11:38

Happy Birthday....I was 20 years old living in Oregon and bought my first BP rifle....used to shoot it out the back door into the Siuslaw River....And the addiction was on, and haven't looked back....Now I have problems which one to shoot or which one to build next....WOW comes to mind that was 47 years ago!!!

Hilljack
Back to top Go down
Hanshi

Hanshi

Fifty years ago Empty
PostSubject: Re: Fifty years ago   Fifty years ago Empty2018-10-19, 13:09

And happy birthday from Maine.  Well, I'd like to be 50 again rather than 72; but one cannot choose.  My passion for flintlock longrifles is as fiery as ever; and I do as much as I want to do unless pain/fatigue stops me.  One can't live pain free but one learns to take it in stride.
Back to top Go down
stoney1
Site Moderator
Site Moderator
stoney1

Male Number of posts : 356
Registration date : 2017-05-05

Fifty years ago Empty
PostSubject: Re: Fifty years ago   Fifty years ago Empty2018-10-19, 15:24

@Randy Johnson wrote:
I turned 66 today. 
Not that big of a deal in itself, but since I got my first muzzleloading rifle for my 16th birthday, today marks the beginning of my 50th year of shooting muzzleloaders.
That first rifle was a percussion FIE, and low end beginner quality. Today I marked the beginning of my 50th year in the sport my taking a first at a range I haven't even placed at in a long long time. The rifle today was a little better than my first one. It has a Bill Large barrel and Bob Roller lock and triggers. Once I find a set of sights that work for me it will be a consistent winner.
Happy Birthday Randy.
Stoney

Number of posts : 88
Registration date : 2018-07-25

Fifty years ago Empty
PostSubject: Re: Fifty years ago   Fifty years ago Empty2018-10-19, 18:38

Hang in there.  Us old buggers can still win some. I shoot a match once a month here in Texas, and I can normally walk away with a ribbon or two at least. I don't know how much longer I will be able, but sure enjoy it.
Back to top Go down
oneshot 1

oneshot 1

Number of posts : 619
Registration date : 2012-04-23

Fifty years ago Empty
PostSubject: Re: Fifty years ago   Fifty years ago Empty2018-10-29, 15:47

Happy Late Birthday I turned 65 10/5/18 was suppose to go Salt Water Fishing last week of September but I got down in my Back again so I called off the Trip had everything Paid for.

Now this last Friday went to ER with constant pain in my Chest and Shortness of breath, no Heart Attack but they said something is wrong not to do anything until I see my regular Doctor which is next Friday. Went fishing this morning by the house, wasn't good so I know I'm just setting in the house.

Be thankful you can still get out and get them.

oneshot
Back to top Go down
stoney1
Site Moderator
Site Moderator
stoney1

Male Number of posts : 356
Registration date : 2017-05-05

Fifty years ago Empty
PostSubject: Re: Fifty years ago   Fifty years ago Empty2018-10-29, 17:35

Happy Birthday again Randy
 I turned 69 in June, so yeah... wish I was 66 again too... I think!? Had a stroke at 66, so not sure it's worth going through that again?
God bless:
Stoney

heelerau

Male Number of posts : 176
Registration date : 2018-02-08

Fifty years ago Empty
PostSubject: Re: Fifty years ago   Fifty years ago Empty2019-01-25, 14:43

Gents, I turned 58 yesterday, here is a photo taken with an old box brownie camera of myself with my first muzzle loading rifle a South Australian stamped 3rd model contract musket that was found in the station store room and given to my mother, who still shoots. I am about 12 or so here and am holding my first ever black powder kill a poor old galah. I have a pet one now as penance for my youthly sins . The below shot is me with the same rifle now !Fifty years ago 45961088205_113bce7d6dGordon and Fifty years ago 25739166737_986edaf70eGordon sepiHwea copy by Gordon Hazel, on Flickr Kill by Gordon Hazel, on Flickr

yellowlab

Male Number of posts : 25
Registration date : 2016-12-21

Fifty years ago Empty
PostSubject: Re: Fifty years ago   Fifty years ago Empty2019-01-25, 18:24

Old folks know shi/stuff. Ill be 60 soon "still a youngster by some standards". Shot my 1st muzzleloader elk in 92, 26 years ago. Im also old and grumpy by my wifes standards. 40+ years.
Back to top Go down
mark1945
Forum
Forum
mark1945

Male Number of posts : 228
Registration date : 2015-08-20

Fifty years ago Empty
PostSubject: Re: Fifty years ago   Fifty years ago Empty2019-01-25, 19:30

Shot my first muzzleloader in 64 ,damn time sure fly's when your enjoying something.

Cabelas 58 cal Hawken             Colt Navy 36 cal                     Pietta 1863 Remington pocket rev 31 cal
Pedersoli Kodiak 58 cal             CVA 58 Cal. Mountain Rifle      Classic Arms Co 44 Cal New Orleans Ace
CVA 45 Cal Derringer               TC Renegade 54cal                 Navy Arms Co. Pietta 12 gauge double
Pedersoli 12 gauge double        Traditions Crockett 32 cal        2 Traditions Mountain Rifles 50 cal
Pietta 1851 Conf Navy 44
Back to top Go down
RonC
Site Moderator
Site Moderator
RonC

Male Number of posts : 1140
Registration date : 2013-09-09

Fifty years ago Empty
PostSubject: Re: Fifty years ago   Fifty years ago Empty2019-01-26, 08:09

Happy Birthday!
All these senior-aged guys! I am 35 (plus or minus a few years). Very Happy 

OK, I WAS 35 at one time. Now, I am 72. I was in my 60s when I first started with muzzleloaders, so I only have been black powder shooting for less than 10 years. When I was 64 or 65, I went to a black powder demo at "The Fort" restaurant located just outside Denver. One look at a highly figured, striped maple flintlock and I was ensnared. I just had to have one. I bought two, inexpensive rifles (Armi San Marco "Hawken" and a CVA 2-piece stock "Kentucky) at a Rendezvous and I was on my way.
Ron

Outside of a Dog, a Book is Man’s Best Friend. Inside of a Dog, It’s Too Dark to Read. Groucho Marx (or possibly someone earlier)
Back to top Go down
Marty
Site Moderator
Site Moderator
Marty

Male Number of posts : 3799
Registration date : 2009-02-03

Fifty years ago Empty
PostSubject: Re: Fifty years ago   Fifty years ago Empty2019-01-26, 08:30

I bought my first muzzleloader, a .45 CVA Hunterbolt, in 2008.  Green as a granny smith apple I sought a mentor.  I found this guy Arrow
Fifty years ago G3VIw7o
Back to top Go down
FrontierGander
Site
Site
FrontierGander

Fifty years ago Empty
PostSubject: Re: Fifty years ago   Fifty years ago Empty2019-01-26, 09:38

lol! wow that's an old picture!
Back to top Go down
Marty
Site Moderator
Site Moderator
Marty

Fifty years ago Empty
PostSubject: Re: Fifty years ago   Fifty years ago Empty2019-01-26, 10:11

@FrontierGander wrote:
For those newer to the forum, that picture is none other than our Commander-In-Chief FrontierGander  Exclamation  

I'm guessing the youngster was in his early 20's Laughing Laughing

---------------------------
p.s.  Razz
Back to top Go down
Buck Conner
Site Moderator
Site Moderator
Buck Conner

Fifty years ago Empty
PostSubject: Re: Fifty years ago   Fifty years ago Empty2019-01-26, 12:47

@Marty wrote:
@FrontierGander wrote:
For those newer to the forum, that picture is none other than our Commander-In-Chief FrontierGander  Exclamation  

I'm guessing the youngster was in his early 20's Laughing Laughing

---------------------------
p.s.  Razz

Marty and guys, Jonathan couldn't move for several hours, he froze to the stool or did the stool work its way up???  Tease   Doh

You guys are a bunch of young pups for starting out shooting smoke poles. My father started me out with an original 1849 Colt Pocket Revolver (NMN) at age 5, that was before most of you guys were a gleam in your mothers eye. The date was 1945 and a year later that [non-numbers] Colt became a non shooting revolver.

That's when my father took the 1849 Colt and soldered the nipples shut and gave me a couple of boxes of caps. He told me -"here's you cowboy-Indian cap gun, cold day in hell before I spend money on one of the pot metal pieces of junk".  Needless to say I was the first one in our game to be shot or die with only 5 shots while everyone else had a roll of caps in their guns.   :tdown2

For my birthday at age 6 (1946) he gave me another original Colt - a 1851 Navy Revolver (NMN) for my practice gun, now I have a shooter (when he was there).  :shh

He would let me look at his collection (behind locked doors), that made me really feel special as usually only male adults were allowed in there.  Every time I got to go spend time I was looking for the (NMN) guns (he knew what I was thinking and played along). Never was aloud to touch the good guns (MNG) "matching numbered guns - "to expensive kid", fun times. 

I made meat with an old original 1860 Enfield Civil War Musket (a gift from my grandfather) at age 10 (fall 1950) on the family's farm near Penn State PA. My dad and grandfather got a kick out of me at this young age watching me sneaking around and got lucky.  

I hunted everything with that old war club until I got a reproduction rifle from Turner Kirkland (family friend before Dixie Gunworks). He was visiting, doing his tent sales of used muzzleloading parts and would stay with my family. My father told Turner he wanted to buy a reproduction percussion rifle for my 14th birthday, the conversation changed and it was time for supper. After supper Turner went out to the station wagon (50 Chevy Woodie), when he returned he was carrying a long box which he handed to me.  I just was given a reproduction rifle for my birthday.    :tup2

Now 64 years later what did I trade these guns for ????

Last edited by Buck Conner on 2019-01-29, 17:45; edited 1 time in total
Back to top Go down
bronko22000

Male Number of posts : 60
Registration date : 2016-03-22

Fifty years ago Empty
PostSubject: Re: Fifty years ago   Fifty years ago Empty2019-01-29, 11:03

Congrats on your 66th.  Mine will be coming up soon.  This year will by my 48th year of shooting bp rifles.
Back to top Go down
bronko22000

Male Number of posts : 60
Registration date : 2016-03-22

Fifty years ago Empty
PostSubject: Re: Fifty years ago   Fifty years ago Empty2019-01-29, 11:04

@Marty wrote:
I bought my first muzzleloader, a .45 CVA Hunterbolt, in 2008.  Green as a granny smith apple I sought a mentor.  I found this guy Arrow
Fifty years ago G3VIw7o

Isn't that Hatchet Jack?
Back to top Go down
Marty
Site Moderator
Site Moderator
Marty

Fifty years ago Empty
PostSubject: Re: Fifty years ago   Fifty years ago Empty2019-01-29, 11:15

There is a striking resemblance  Laughing
Back to top Go down
Buck Conner
Site Moderator
Site Moderator
Buck Conner

Fifty years ago Empty
PostSubject: Re: Fifty years ago   Fifty years ago Empty2019-01-29, 17:48

Which is greener, Jonathan back in the day or a granny smith apple ?   Arrow   Question

Back to top Go down
Hanshi

Hanshi

Fifty years ago Empty
PostSubject: Re: Fifty years ago   Fifty years ago Empty2019-01-30, 12:36

@Buck Conner wrote:
Which is greener, Jonathan back in the day or a granny smith apple ?   Arrow   Question

Unripened crabapples.  albino
Back to top Go down
Buck Conner
Site Moderator
Site Moderator
Buck Conner

Fifty years ago Empty
PostSubject: Re: Fifty years ago   Fifty years ago Empty2019-01-30, 15:08

@Hanshi wrote:
@Buck Conner wrote:

Unripened crabapples.  albino

That would fit him at times .....  lol!  crabbie ......

Last edited by Buck Conner on 2019-02-01, 09:47; edited 1 time in total
Back to top Go down
Kicked Back

Male Number of posts : 17
Registration date : 2018-11-17

Fifty years ago Empty
PostSubject: WOW   Fifty years ago Empty2019-01-31, 18:40

@FrontierGander wrote:
going on 19 for me!
I would have bet money you were not over 18! I gota go clean my glasses.
Back to top Go down
FrontierGander
Site
Site
FrontierGander

Fifty years ago Empty
PostSubject: Re: Fifty years ago   Fifty years ago Empty2019-01-31, 19:04

oh but I feel at least 65! I get up in the morning and come out walking hunched over, stiff and body parts popping lol.
Back to top Go down
Buck Conner
Site Moderator
Site Moderator
Buck Conner

Fifty years ago Empty
PostSubject: Re: Fifty years ago   Fifty years ago Empty2019-02-01, 09:48

@Kicked Back wrote:
@FrontierGander wrote:
going on 19 for me!
I would have bet money you were not over 18! I gota go clean my glasses.

Blow your nose too .....

Back to top Go down

Fifty years ago
Page 1 of 1

Permissions in this forum:You cannot reply to topics in this forum
Frontier Muzzleloading :: Muzzleloading Topic :: Traditional Muzzleloading-
Jump to: