Frontier Muzzleloading
Welcome to Frontier Muzzleloading!

Please take the time to either Register or Log In to your user name and join us!

Muzzleloading Forum

HomeFAQRegisterLog in

Fifty years ago

Go down 
Go to page : Previous  1, 2
AuthorMessage
mark1945
Forum
Forum
mark1945

Male Number of posts : 218
Registration date : 2015-08-20

Fifty years ago - Page 2 Empty
PostSubject: Re: Fifty years ago   Fifty years ago - Page 2 EmptyJanuary 25th 2019, 7:30 pm

Shot my first muzzleloader in 64 ,damn time sure fly's when your enjoying something.

Cabelas 58 cal Hawken             Colt Navy 36 cal                     Pietta 1863 Remington pocket rev 31 cal
Pedersoli Kodiak 58 cal             CVA 58 Cal. Mountain Rifle      Classic Arms Co 44 Cal New Orleans Ace
CVA 45 Cal Derringer               TC Renegade 54cal                 Navy Arms Co. Pietta 12 gauge double
Pedersoli 12 gauge double        Traditions Crockett 32 cal        2 Traditions Mountain Rifles 50 cal
Pietta 1851 Conf Navy 44
Back to top Go down
RonC
Site Moderator
Site Moderator
RonC

Male Number of posts : 1140
Registration date : 2013-09-09

PostSubject: Re: Fifty years ago   Fifty years ago - Page 2 EmptyJanuary 26th 2019, 8:09 am

Happy Birthday!
All these senior-aged guys! I am 35 (plus or minus a few years). Very Happy 

OK, I WAS 35 at one time. Now, I am 72. I was in my 60s when I first started with muzzleloaders, so I only have been black powder shooting for less than 10 years. When I was 64 or 65, I went to a black powder demo at "The Fort" restaurant located just outside Denver. One look at a highly figured, striped maple flintlock and I was ensnared. I just had to have one. I bought two, inexpensive rifles (Armi San Marco "Hawken" and a CVA 2-piece stock "Kentucky) at a Rendezvous and I was on my way.
Ron

Outside of a Dog, a Book is Man’s Best Friend. Inside of a Dog, It’s Too Dark to Read. Groucho Marx (or possibly someone earlier)
Back to top Go down
Marty
Site Moderator
Site Moderator
Marty

Male Number of posts : 3774
Registration date : 2009-02-03

PostSubject: Re: Fifty years ago   Fifty years ago - Page 2 EmptyJanuary 26th 2019, 8:30 am

I bought my first muzzleloader, a .45 CVA Hunterbolt, in 2008.  Green as a granny smith apple I sought a mentor.  I found this guy Arrow
Fifty years ago - Page 2 G3VIw7o
Back to top Go down
FrontierGander
Site
Site
FrontierGander

Male Number of posts : 16318
Registration date : 2008-05-19

PostSubject: Re: Fifty years ago   Fifty years ago - Page 2 EmptyJanuary 26th 2019, 9:38 am

lol! wow that's an old picture!
Back to top Go down
Marty
Site Moderator
Site Moderator
Marty

PostSubject: Re: Fifty years ago   Fifty years ago - Page 2 EmptyJanuary 26th 2019, 10:11 am

@FrontierGander wrote:
For those newer to the forum, that picture is none other than our Commander-In-Chief FrontierGander  Exclamation  

I'm guessing the youngster was in his early 20's Laughing Laughing

---------------------------
p.s.  Razz
Back to top Go down
Buck Conner
Site Moderator
Site Moderator
Buck Conner

Male Number of posts : 3448
Registration date : 2015-10-20

PostSubject: Re: Fifty years ago   Fifty years ago - Page 2 EmptyJanuary 26th 2019, 12:47 pm

@Marty wrote:
@FrontierGander wrote:
For those newer to the forum, that picture is none other than our Commander-In-Chief FrontierGander  Exclamation  

I'm guessing the youngster was in his early 20's Laughing Laughing

---------------------------
p.s.  Razz

Marty and guys, Jonathan couldn't move for several hours, he froze to the stool or did the stool work its way up???  Tease   Doh

You guys are a bunch of young pups for starting out shooting smoke poles. My father started me out with an original 1849 Colt Pocket Revolver (NMN) at age 5, that was before most of you guys were a gleam in your mothers eye. The date was 1945 and a year later that [non-numbers] Colt became a non shooting revolver.

That's when my father took the 1849 Colt and soldered the nipples shut and gave me a couple of boxes of caps. He told me -"here's you cowboy-Indian cap gun, cold day in hell before I spend money on one of the pot metal pieces of junk".  Needless to say I was the first one in our game to be shot or die with only 5 shots while everyone else had a roll of caps in their guns.   :tdown2

For my birthday at age 6 (1946) he gave me another original Colt - a 1851 Navy Revolver (NMN) for my practice gun, now I have a shooter (when he was there).  :shh

He would let me look at his collection (behind locked doors), that made me really feel special as usually only male adults were allowed in there.  Every time I got to go spend time I was looking for the (NMN) guns (he knew what I was thinking and played along). Never was aloud to touch the good guns (MNG) "matching numbered guns - "to expensive kid", fun times. 

I made meat with an old original 1860 Enfield Civil War Musket (a gift from my grandfather) at age 10 (fall 1950) on the family's farm near Penn State PA. My dad and grandfather got a kick out of me at this young age watching me sneaking around and got lucky.  

I hunted everything with that old war club until I got a reproduction rifle from Turner Kirkland (family friend before Dixie Gunworks). He was visiting, doing his tent sales of used muzzleloading parts and would stay with my family. My father told Turner he wanted to buy a reproduction percussion rifle for my 14th birthday, the conversation changed and it was time for supper. After supper Turner went out to the station wagon (50 Chevy Woodie), when he returned he was carrying a long box which he handed to me.  I just was given a reproduction rifle for my birthday.    :tup2

Now 64 years later what did I trade these guns for ????

Last edited by Buck Conner on January 29th 2019, 5:45 pm; edited 1 time in total
Back to top Go down
bronko22000

Male Number of posts : 59
Registration date : 2016-03-22

PostSubject: Re: Fifty years ago   Fifty years ago - Page 2 EmptyJanuary 29th 2019, 11:03 am

Congrats on your 66th.  Mine will be coming up soon.  This year will by my 48th year of shooting bp rifles.
Back to top Go down
bronko22000

Male Number of posts : 59
Registration date : 2016-03-22

PostSubject: Re: Fifty years ago   Fifty years ago - Page 2 EmptyJanuary 29th 2019, 11:04 am

@Marty wrote:
I bought my first muzzleloader, a .45 CVA Hunterbolt, in 2008.  Green as a granny smith apple I sought a mentor.  I found this guy Arrow
Fifty years ago - Page 2 G3VIw7o

Isn't that Hatchet Jack?
Back to top Go down
Marty
Site Moderator
Site Moderator
Marty

PostSubject: Re: Fifty years ago   Fifty years ago - Page 2 EmptyJanuary 29th 2019, 11:15 am

There is a striking resemblance  Laughing
Back to top Go down
Buck Conner
Site Moderator
Site Moderator
Buck Conner

PostSubject: Re: Fifty years ago   Fifty years ago - Page 2 EmptyJanuary 29th 2019, 5:48 pm

Which is greener, Jonathan back in the day or a granny smith apple ?   Arrow   Question

Back to top Go down
Hanshi

Hanshi

Male Number of posts : 346
Registration date : 2015-01-21

PostSubject: Re: Fifty years ago   Fifty years ago - Page 2 EmptyJanuary 30th 2019, 12:36 pm

@Buck Conner wrote:
Which is greener, Jonathan back in the day or a granny smith apple ?   Arrow   Question

Unripened crabapples.  albino
Back to top Go down
http://www.martialartsusa.com
Buck Conner
Site Moderator
Site Moderator
Buck Conner

PostSubject: Re: Fifty years ago   Fifty years ago - Page 2 EmptyJanuary 30th 2019, 3:08 pm

@Hanshi wrote:
@Buck Conner wrote:

Unripened crabapples.  albino

That would fit him at times .....  lol!  crabbie ......

Last edited by Buck Conner on February 1st 2019, 9:47 am; edited 1 time in total
Back to top Go down
Kicked Back

Male Number of posts : 17
Registration date : 2018-11-17

PostSubject: WOW   Fifty years ago - Page 2 EmptyJanuary 31st 2019, 6:40 pm

@FrontierGander wrote:
going on 19 for me!
I would have bet money you were not over 18! I gota go clean my glasses.
Back to top Go down
FrontierGander
Site
Site
FrontierGander

Male Number of posts : 16318
Registration date : 2008-05-19

PostSubject: Re: Fifty years ago   Fifty years ago - Page 2 EmptyJanuary 31st 2019, 7:04 pm

oh but I feel at least 65! I get up in the morning and come out walking hunched over, stiff and body parts popping lol.
Back to top Go down
Buck Conner
Site Moderator
Site Moderator
Buck Conner

PostSubject: Re: Fifty years ago   Fifty years ago - Page 2 EmptyFebruary 1st 2019, 9:48 am

@Kicked Back wrote:
@FrontierGander wrote:
going on 19 for me!
I would have bet money you were not over 18! I gota go clean my glasses.

Blow your nose too .....

Back to top Go down

Fifty years ago
Page 2 of 2Go to page : Previous  1, 2

Permissions in this forum:You cannot reply to topics in this forum
Frontier Muzzleloading :: Muzzleloading Topic :: Traditional Muzzleloading-
Jump to: