Frontier Muzzleloading
Welcome to Frontier Muzzleloading!

Please take the time to either Register or Log In to your user name and join us!

Muzzleloading Forum

HomeGalleryFAQSearchRegisterLog in

Ads

Share | 

Bought a bunch of tools today

Go down 
AuthorMessage
FrontierGander
Forum
Forum

Male Number of posts : 15287
Registration date : 2008-05-19

PostSubject: Bought a bunch of tools today   July 3rd 2018, 11:11 pm

Got the impulse to buy some needed tools for my kit gun builds!

Brass & Nylon punches, Grace screw drivers, an assortment of Nicholson files, Arkansas sharpening stone, 10" hand plane for forearms and the top/bottom of stocks when they need a lot of material removed and it has to be straight, 39pc letter kit so I can now mark rifles I build, gunsmith hammer with 5 interchangeable tips, modeling clay for my bedding jobs. The biggest tool I needed was a curved scraper for getting into the lock inletting. Its a real pain using a flat scraper, so I coughed up the bucks and just bought one. This tool alone is going to make life so much easier. I bought the 1/4" size rather than the larger 3/8" but I am sure over time I will collect them all.

I still have more that I want to buy to make life easier, but these items I already bought today have me shaking with excitement. I figured having all the goodies will pep me up after surgery and make me feel better once the items start coming in.

I really want to clone my last Mountain Rifle that I built, So I may order one of these in a couple weeks so I have it on hand.
Back to top Go down
View user profile https://www.frontiermuzzleloading.com
strong eagle

Number of posts : 534
Registration date : 2016-10-11

PostSubject: Re: Bought a bunch of tools today   July 4th 2018, 7:27 am

your progressing. now is the time to jump. buy a good piece of wood, wood that you dreamed of. have a barrel made from you specs. buy a lock and trigger ect. first thing you do is cut out the out line for a stock from heavy cardboard. put it to you shoulder. you will have to recut it several time. it should fit you perfectly. you should not feel cramped or stretched when you hand goes to whewre the triggers will be. you should be able to look down the barrel channel and see that it is instant connect to your eye with out adjusting. when you get the stock that is shaped to you and you along. lay it on the wood you bought and cut it out with a band saw. then send it to pectotonica river muzzleloaders and have it routed for the barrel channel to fit your barrel. then start shaping the stock and inleting the trigger and lock area, ect. the best wood file you will ever buy to rough shape the stock is a brand new hoof rasp. ive done 15 custom muzzleloaders like this and they are out their and the owners love them. you need to get away from kits and do your own thing. no school in mind except the school of your self. if the wood has a blemish, put a nice inlay over it, thats what i did and so did the old timers. it is hard to make the lock ares perfect and trigger areas perfect, i have ways to fill the tiny gaps. i know how to bed the barrel channel that isnt in the books. go for it and you will get all the extra help you need from me and others. if your looking for a piece of wood that nothing else can match, go to the internet and look at oregon quilted maple. way better tha eastern tiger striped maple. easy to work with also. doest crack easily or at all. dont use oak, one heavy loaded shot and the stock can split in two. cherry is less figured than the rest of hard woods but the toughest of them all and it never ever warps or shrinks. beech is pretty but shrinks more that the rest and because of that it shouldnt be used. start building your own guns to fit you with the perfect barrel for what you want to shoot. its time for you to do that.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Hilljack

Male Number of posts : 226
Registration date : 2014-04-03

PostSubject: Re: Bought a bunch of tools today   July 4th 2018, 6:37 pm

FG
Strong eagle has many good points... And I agree with him...you have not only the tools now but the knowledge so now is the time to take the plunge....There is nothing more satisfying than working a nice piece of wood, I remember my first time and it was kind of unsettling in that I could be making a bunch of expensive tooth picks...also it is known that it is not how perfect you can do, because you will make mistakes and the object is how best to correct or should it be said "hide" them...And when you make that rifle that fits you perfectly, you won't be able to wipe the smile off your face...Take a piece of wood and take everything away that doesn't look like a rifle...

Hilljack
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Buck Conner
Site Moderator &
Site Moderator &

Male Number of posts : 2419
Registration date : 2015-10-20

PostSubject: Re: Bought a bunch of tools today   July 5th 2018, 10:25 am

@FrontierGander wrote:
Got the impulse to buy some needed tools for my kit gun builds!

I still have more that I want to buy to make life easier, but these items I already bought today have me shaking with excitement. I figured having all the goodies will pep me up after surgery and make me feel better once the items start coming in.

Hey kid how about a Foredom SR Hang-Up Motor for bigger, or longer, projects, and hands-free operation. Has a 1/4-hp flex-shaft grinder has a 42" long (counting the chuck) flexible shaft, a keyed chuck that accepts bits up to 5/32", a variable-speed control foot-pedal power switch, and a comfortable 1" dia hand grip. 

This is used but in good condition and would make a handy addition to your work bench.

Back to top Go down
View user profile http://grrwca..com/
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Bought a bunch of tools today   

Back to top Go down

Bought a bunch of tools today
Page 1 of 1

Permissions in this forum:You cannot reply to topics in this forum
Frontier Muzzleloading :: Muzzleloading Topic :: Gun Builders & Gun Smithing Corner-
Jump to: