Frontier Muzzleloading
Welcome to Frontier Muzzleloading!

Please take the time to either Register or Log In to your user name and join us!

Muzzleloading Forum

HomeGalleryFAQSearchRegisterLog in

Ads

Share | 

The thrice cursed flichlock....

Go down 
Go to page : 1, 2  Next
AuthorMessage
Mike in Oz

Male Number of posts : 128
Registration date : 2017-09-22

PostSubject: The thrice cursed flichlock....   July 8th 2018, 2:19 am

G'day lads, 

I had a better day today on the range, 50 yards, offhand, off body loading with my pedersoli 50 cal flint lock.

I was aiming at the bull but i think next time i'll lift my aim to the 12 o clock position, that should drop everything into the black. Smile

Back to top Go down
View user profile
strong eagle

Number of posts : 534
Registration date : 2016-10-11

PostSubject: Re: The thrice cursed flichlock....   July 8th 2018, 8:24 am

a suggestion. use patches that are tight when you load. use a starter and a very small mallet. use a ball that is only 5 thousands under top of lads size. cut off at the muzzle a ball set 1/8the below the muzle crown cut off patch material at the muzzle with o straight razor or as sharp patch knife. place ball on powder but never ever ever tamp down after placed on the powder. wipe between rounds. with this method you will print hole is holes at any range. i like pure linen for patch material. their is nothing wrong with 100 percent pure cotton denim. or material from old levi jeans as long as it is pure cotton. lube with utter balm or thompson bore butter. about the same thing both work good on the skin for a bug bite also. if you do this our friend, you will drive tacks at any range. with this method at a range out side of bismark n.dak i made a fat rich guy pack up his 300 mag wetherby and go home cussing as at 100 yards i was gwetting 1/2 groups at 100 yards with a custom 50 cal hawken i built and later gave to my law enforcement son and that fat ediot was getting huge groups at 100 yards even with a 9 power scope. he left cussing his gun and never saw him again. i could have told him it was the wrong length bullet for the twist rate he had in that rifle. beside did he ever clean his gun. NO. he may have had crud build up infront of the bullet which undersized it and you cant get groups that way. can you ever tell fat assed rich bullies anything, No. but i sure made him look like a monkey on a stick on a organ grinder. do what i recommended and you will be surprised at the accuracy you can get. remember a flinter took out a english officer at 200 and 18 yards with a standing off hand shot throrgh the head at the battle of new orleans. some here say it never happened, i like to believe it did. i took a doe 50 yards south of the canadian border with a 45 cal round ball at 175 yards. thats a real fact. i used a top of a old fence post for a rest. it was 25 below zero with out the windchill factor. greatest shot i ever made. she jumped a little into the air then when straight down. just before that shot i took a huge coon out of a big oak tree at 50 yards off hand. i aimed at his chest and thats where the ball went. still have his tanned hide hanging next to my tommahawk down stairs. for years my 19 year old son hugged that coon skin like a teddy bear as he slept while he was growing up. never ruined it. still looks good. maybe he should take it to college with him this fall.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
BrownBear

Number of posts : 320
Registration date : 2017-04-19

PostSubject: Re: The thrice cursed flichlock....   July 8th 2018, 9:32 am

@Mike in Oz wrote:

I was aiming at the bull but i think next time i'll lift my aim to the 12 o clock position, that should drop everything into the black. Smile

Probably time too, to start filing away the top of the front sight. A little at a time, with shooting confirmation after each reduction, and you should have it hitting right where you want.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
heelerau

Male Number of posts : 103
Registration date : 2018-02-08

PostSubject: Re: The thrice cursed flichlock....   July 8th 2018, 4:06 pm

Mike that looks promising, in fact  a good improvement.   Were you using a full sight at the black? If so perhaps a little more powder to lift the poi.   I won't be back this Wed, staying for a weeks overtime.  Don't tamp the ball when seated as Strong Eagle suggests!

cheers 

Gordon

Kentucky Colonel
Site Moderator &
Site Moderator &

Male Number of posts : 1632
Registration date : 2015-10-28

PostSubject: Re: The thrice cursed flichlock....   July 8th 2018, 4:38 pm

Mike, I know a lot of people that would be happy with that off-hand group at 50. Nice work.

Florida Muzzleloaders Association 
Central Florida Muzzleloaders 
Green River Rifle Works Collectors Association
NMLRA
Back to top Go down
View user profile
BigAl52
Site Moderator &
Site Moderator &

Male Number of posts : 530
Registration date : 2016-02-03

PostSubject: Re: The thrice cursed flichlock....   July 8th 2018, 6:28 pm

Mike
It looks to me like it would put some of those hopping elk you have over there on the BBQ. With a cooler full of some of that Aussie beer what more could you ask for.

TC Hawken 58 cal Green Mtn drop in barrel
TC Renegade 58 cal
GRRW 50 cal
GRRW 58 cal
Lyman GPR 54 cal flintlock L&R lock davis deerslayer trigger
Lyman Trade Rifle 54 cal
CVA Hawken 58 cal by Jonathan
Hawken Squirrel Rifle 40 cal by John Bergman
Pedersoli Penn Rifle 50 cal flintlock
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Mike in Oz

PostSubject: Re: The thrice cursed flichlock....   July 8th 2018, 9:19 pm

@BrownBear wrote:
@Mike in Oz wrote:

Probably time too, to start filing away the top of the front sight. A little at a time, with shooting confirmation after each reduction, and you should have it hitting right where you want.

I've got to admit I've considered doing that but I'm just loathe to take a file to my rifle. I can feel the spectres of every DI I've ever known screaming at me for considering it..... lol!
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Mike in Oz

PostSubject: Re: The thrice cursed flichlock....   July 8th 2018, 9:21 pm

@heelerau wrote:
Mike that looks promising, in fact  a good improvement.   Were you using a full sight at the black? If so perhaps a little more powder to lift the poi.   I won't be back this Wed, staying for a weeks overtime.  Don't tamp the ball when seated as Strong Eagle suggests!

cheers 

Gordon

Cheers mate! Very Happy  Yes mate, full sight picture. Really? maybe five grains and see what happens?

Frick. Come back soon bud, its boring without you shit talking on the range! Slap fight

Okay, okay, i'll try it! Wink
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Mike in Oz

PostSubject: Re: The thrice cursed flichlock....   July 8th 2018, 9:22 pm

@Kentucky Colonel wrote:
Mike, I know a lot of people that would be happy with that off-hand group at 50. Nice work.

Cheers buddy! Very Happy
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Mike in Oz

PostSubject: Re: The thrice cursed flichlock....   July 8th 2018, 9:24 pm

@BigAl52 wrote:
Mike
It looks to me like it would put some of those hopping elk you have over there on the BBQ. With a cooler full of some of that Aussie beer what more could you ask for.

Yeah nah mate, I'd never shoot a roo, that'd be illegal without a permit. Very Happy

Although I'm told that roo makes an awesome spagbol! Wink

Mmmmmm beer!
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Mike in Oz

PostSubject: Re: The thrice cursed flichlock....   July 9th 2018, 8:10 am

@strong eagle wrote:
a suggestion. use patches that are tight when you load. use a starter and a very small mallet. use a ball that is only 5 thousands under top of lads size. cut off at the muzzle a ball set 1/8the below the muzle crown cut off patch material at the muzzle with o straight razor or as sharp patch knife. place ball on powder but never ever ever tamp down after placed on the powder. wipe between rounds. with this method you will print hole is holes at any range. i like pure linen for patch material. their is nothing wrong with 100 percent pure cotton denim. or material from old levi jeans as long as it is pure cotton. lube with utter balm or thompson bore butter. about the same thing both work good on the skin for a bug bite also. if you do this our friend, you will drive tacks at any range. with this method at a range out side of bismark n.dak i made a fat rich guy pack up his 300 mag wetherby and go home cussing as at 100 yards i was gwetting 1/2 groups at 100 yards with a custom 50 cal hawken i built and later gave to my law enforcement son and that fat ediot was getting huge groups at 100 yards even with a 9 power scope. he left cussing his gun and never saw him again. i could have told him it was the wrong length bullet for the twist rate he had in that rifle. beside did he ever clean his gun. NO. he may have had crud build up infront of the bullet which undersized it and you cant get groups that way. can you ever tell fat assed rich bullies anything, No. but i sure made him look like a monkey on a stick on a organ grinder. do what i recommended and you will be surprised at the accuracy you can get. remember a flinter took out a english officer at 200 and 18 yards with a standing off hand shot throrgh the head at the battle of new orleans. some here say it never happened, i like to believe it did. i took a doe 50 yards south of the canadian border with a 45 cal round ball at 175 yards. thats a real fact. i used a top of a old fence post for a rest. it was 25 below zero with out the windchill factor. greatest shot i ever made. she jumped a little into the air then when straight down. just before that shot i took a huge coon out of a big oak tree at 50 yards off hand. i aimed at his chest and thats where the ball went. still have his tanned hide hanging next to my tommahawk down stairs. for years my 19 year old son hugged that coon skin like a teddy bear as he slept while he was growing up. never ruined it. still looks good. maybe he should take it to college with him this fall.

I'll give it a go mate.  Smile
Back to top Go down
View user profile
BrownBear

PostSubject: Re: The thrice cursed flichlock....   July 9th 2018, 8:39 am

@Mike in Oz wrote:
@BrownBear wrote:
@Mike in Oz wrote:

I've got to admit I've considered doing that but I'm just loathe to take a file to my rifle. I can feel the spectres of every DI I've ever known screaming at me for considering it..... lol!

It's pretty much a standard treatment for Pedersoli's and lots of others with fixed sights. The front sights are left a little long so you can "sight in" with a file or hone.  It's inconvenient if you mess up and cut too much, but not insurmountable. Replacements are cheap, widely available and easy to install. 

Try shooting at 75 or 100 yards with your current POI, and I'm fairly certain you'll become enthused about a slightly shorter front sight. Very Happy
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Mike in Oz

PostSubject: Re: The thrice cursed flichlock....   July 9th 2018, 9:00 am

@BrownBear wrote:
@Mike in Oz wrote:
@BrownBear wrote:
@Mike in Oz wrote:

It's pretty much a standard treatment for Pedersoli's and lots of others with fixed sights. The front sights are left a little long so you can "sight in" with a file or hone.  It's inconvenient if you mess up and cut too much, but not insurmountable. Replacements are cheap, widely available and easy to install. 

Try shooting at 75 or 100 yards with your current POI, and I'm fairly certain you'll become enthused about a slightly shorter front sight. Very Happy

You know, i've never shot it beyond 50 yards. Just for shits n giggles i'll give it a go this weekend, just to see what happens!
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Kentucky Colonel
Site Moderator &
Site Moderator &

PostSubject: Re: The thrice cursed flichlock....   July 9th 2018, 9:08 am

@Mike in Oz wrote:
@BrownBear wrote:

You know, i've never shot it beyond 50 yards. Just for shits n giggles i'll give it a go this weekend, just to see what happens!

And after that, try a 200 yard (Is Australia metric?). First time I tried 200, I shot at a 5 foot tall iron black bear target. I got it to ring, but it is weird how high above the head I had to aim! Talk about a drop!

(Of course, I am talking side locks. I know some of you in line and Sharps guys are chuckling.)

NMLRA
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Mike in Oz

PostSubject: Re: The thrice cursed flichlock....   July 9th 2018, 9:13 am

@Kentucky Colonel wrote:
@Mike in Oz wrote:
@BrownBear wrote:

And after that, try a 200 yard (Is Australia metric?). First time I tried 200, I shot at a 5 foot tall iron black bear target. I got it to ring, but it is weird how high above the head I had to aim! Talk about a drop!

(Of course, I am talking side locks. I know some of you in line and Sharps guys are chuckling.)

Mate the whole world is metric, only you yanks still use the imperial system!   Slap fight

Let me see how i get on at 75 and 100 before i start thinking about silly distances eh?  Very Happy
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Kentucky Colonel
Site Moderator &
Site Moderator &

PostSubject: Re: The thrice cursed flichlock....   July 9th 2018, 9:27 am

@Mike in Oz wrote:
@Kentucky Colonel wrote:
@Mike in Oz wrote:
@BrownBear wrote:

Mate the whole world is metric, only you yanks still use the imperial system!  

Slap fight

LOL Don't make me go all 'Quigley Down Under' on ya'

NMLRA
Back to top Go down
View user profile
BrownBear

PostSubject: Re: The thrice cursed flichlock....   July 9th 2018, 9:53 am

@Mike in Oz wrote:
Quote :

Just some unsolicited advice:  Keep tabs of your POI and trajectory as you stretch the range beyond 50. I've found great happiness in sighting my rifles to hit point of aim at 75 yards. With somewhat average velocities (for me) that results in a POI very near point of aim at 25 yards, an inch or so high at 50 and around 6" low at 100. All very useful for hunting.  Sighting in at 50 yards results in a point of impact more like 10-12" low at 100 yards.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Buck Conner
Site Moderator &
Site Moderator &

Male Number of posts : 2419
Registration date : 2015-10-20

PostSubject: Re: The thrice cursed flichlock....   July 12th 2018, 1:04 pm

Watch what you guys tell this guy, we could have him in and out of court on a regular bases.   Shocked   :tup2

Hey Mate how are you kid.   t up

Back to top Go down
View user profile http://grrwca..com/
Mike in Oz

PostSubject: Re: The thrice cursed flichlock....   July 12th 2018, 7:02 pm

@Buck Conner wrote:
Watch what you guys tell this guy, we could have him in and out of court on a regular bases.   Shocked   :tup2

Hey Mate how are you kid.   t up
LOL I'm good Buck, looking forward to the range on Sunday, hows yourself? Smile
Back to top Go down
View user profile
heelerau

PostSubject: Re: The thrice cursed flichlock....   July 13th 2018, 1:19 am

But I still use only the imperial system,  rods, chains, pound shillings and pence, this new froggy system will  like those newfangled brass manglers, will never catch on.  
    I did so enjoy filling up  in the states with proper gallons even if they are US and mph. !!

strong eagle

Number of posts : 534
Registration date : 2016-10-11

PostSubject: Re: The thrice cursed flichlock....   July 13th 2018, 6:25 am

i always sight in my hunting rifles at 100 yards. my custom 50 cal 1/32 twist muzzleloader keeps a one hole group useing a 9 power scope. my mountain man side lock with a 1/28 twist barrel, 35 inches long with 80 grains of real black and a 535 grain cast bullet keeps a group that a 50 cent piece can cover. that gun is a freight train coming at a critter. 100 yards and a tight group is what you need.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Mike in Oz

PostSubject: Re: The thrice cursed flichlock....   July 15th 2018, 3:21 am

I had another good day at the range today, 50 yards, offhand, off body loading with my pedersoli 50 cal flint lock.

I increased the load to 65 grains this time and kept my point of aim on the bulls eye and got some good results, as the extra 5 grains lifted the point of impact a little.

Ignore the flyer at 2 o clock that was a hang-fire.

Had to stop shooting when i ran out of patch material.  Crying or Very sad

Back to top Go down
View user profile
Buck Conner
Site Moderator &
Site Moderator &

Male Number of posts : 2419
Registration date : 2015-10-20

PostSubject: Re: The thrice cursed flichlock....   July 15th 2018, 8:56 am

use your shorts Mike ...  lol!   cheers  you guys downunder do wear shorts I would think, that's the Queens request isn't that correct???  headslap

Back to top Go down
View user profile http://grrwca..com/
heelerau

PostSubject: Re: The thrice cursed flichlock....   July 15th 2018, 4:04 pm

Mike, try another 5 grains and it should be pretty right.  Nice improvement.  Two more days !

cheers 

Gordon

BigAl52
Site Moderator &
Site Moderator &

Male Number of posts : 530
Registration date : 2016-02-03

PostSubject: Re: The thrice cursed flichlock....   July 15th 2018, 4:13 pm

I think that flyer might have been from when you used the metric system to load with.

TC Hawken 58 cal Green Mtn drop in barrel
TC Renegade 58 cal
GRRW 50 cal
GRRW 58 cal
Lyman GPR 54 cal flintlock L&R lock davis deerslayer trigger
Lyman Trade Rifle 54 cal
CVA Hawken 58 cal by Jonathan
Hawken Squirrel Rifle 40 cal by John Bergman
Pedersoli Penn Rifle 50 cal flintlock
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: The thrice cursed flichlock....   

Back to top Go down

The thrice cursed flichlock....
Page 1 of 2Go to page : 1, 2  Next

Permissions in this forum:You cannot reply to topics in this forum
Frontier Muzzleloading :: Muzzleloading Topic :: The Shooting Range-
Jump to: