Frontier Muzzleloading
Welcome to Frontier Muzzleloading!

Please take the time to either Register or Log In to your user name and join us!

Muzzleloading Forum

HomeFAQRegisterLog in

No hole scope mount for octagon barrel?

Go down 
AuthorMessage
Sparkitoff

Number of posts : 192
Registration date : 2018-06-08

No hole scope mount for octagon barrel? Empty
PostSubject: No hole scope mount for octagon barrel?   No hole scope mount for octagon barrel? EmptyJuly 18th 2018, 11:20 am

I've heard a rumor that there were scope bases for octagon barrels that clamped on.  Anyone know what these were or if they're around still?  I have a rifle I'd like to discover the real 100 yard accuracy potential of and a scope could make that happen, however I hate to drill/tap the barrel for this experiment.
Back to top Go down
FrontierGander
Site
Site
FrontierGander

Male Number of posts : 16164
Registration date : 2008-05-19

PostSubject: Re: No hole scope mount for octagon barrel?   No hole scope mount for octagon barrel? EmptyJuly 18th 2018, 1:55 pm

Uncle mikes i believe had one that used the tang screw and the rear sight dove tail. Its a clunky set up and considering how often tang screws loosen up over time, I am not 100% sold on this design for repeated accuracy.
Back to top Go down
https://www.frontiermuzzleloading.com
Buck Conner
Site Moderator
Site Moderator
Buck Conner

Male Number of posts : 3305
Registration date : 2015-10-20

PostSubject: Re: No hole scope mount for octagon barrel?   No hole scope mount for octagon barrel? EmptyDecember 9th 2018, 4:19 pm

@FrontierGander wrote:
Uncle mikes i believe had one that used the tang screw and the rear sight dove tail. Its a clunky set up and considering how often tang screws loosen up over time, I am not 100% sold on this design for repeated accuracy.

They have them and agree about the design too.

No hole scope mount for octagon barrel? Img2

Back to top Go down
Clyde

Number of posts : 393
Registration date : 2011-11-27

PostSubject: Re: No hole scope mount for octagon barrel?   No hole scope mount for octagon barrel? EmptyDecember 15th 2018, 7:36 am

THERE IS ANOTHER POSSIBLE AND I STRESS THE WORD POSSIBLE.  I JUST BOUGHT WHATS CALLED A UNIVERSAL MOUNT IT REPLACES THE REAR SIGHT YOU WOULD HAVE TO USE A PISTOL SCOPE MOUNT .   I HAVE NOT TRIED MINE YET BECAUSE I HAVE BEEN TRYING GET A CONICAL LOAD WHICH I THINK I HAVE AT LAST SO I CAN'T ATTEST TO THE ACCURACY OR TO THE DURABILITY OF THE MOUNT.
Back to top Go down
Clyde

PostSubject: Re: No hole scope mount for octagon barrel?   No hole scope mount for octagon barrel? EmptyDecember 15th 2018, 8:21 am

I'm sorry google Pearson scope mounts if your interested.
Back to top Go down
stoney1
Site Moderator
Site Moderator
stoney1

Male Number of posts : 309
Registration date : 2017-05-05

PostSubject: Re: No hole scope mount for octagon barrel?   No hole scope mount for octagon barrel? EmptyDecember 15th 2018, 10:49 am

@Sparkitoff wrote:
I've heard a rumor that there were scope bases for octagon barrels that clamped on.  Anyone know what these were or if they're around still?  I have a rifle I'd like to discover the real 100 yard accuracy potential of and a scope could make that happen, however I hate to drill/tap the barrel for this experiment.
Sparkitoff
 As a machinist, I know what I'd do. I'd make a dove tail slug to fit your rear sight dovetail slot. Then drill up through the bottom of the slug and screw the slug onto a cheap dove tail scope rail. Knock out your rear sight, pop in that slug, mount the scope and sight it in. Once you're happy with the test results? take the mount off and put your original rear sight back on the barrel.
 I'm NO expert, but that seems like the easiest cheapest, fastest, and least invasive way to accomplish what you want? I'm sure a local machine shop could help you out, OR look up a local Vocational High School like where I used to work. They're usually looking for projects to grade their students on.
Just 2c

Stoney

Number of posts : 192
Registration date : 2018-06-08

PostSubject: Re: No hole scope mount for octagon barrel?   No hole scope mount for octagon barrel? EmptyDecember 16th 2018, 8:08 am

Good idea!
Back to top Go down
Clyde

PostSubject: Re: No hole scope mount for octagon barrel?   No hole scope mount for octagon barrel? EmptyDecember 16th 2018, 10:33 am

THATS BASICALLY THE PEARSON UNIVERSAL MOUNT
Back to top Go down

No hole scope mount for octagon barrel?
Page 1 of 1

Permissions in this forum:You cannot reply to topics in this forum
Frontier Muzzleloading :: Muzzleloading Topic :: Optics-
Jump to: