Frontier Muzzleloading
Welcome to Frontier Muzzleloading!

Please take the time to either Register or Log In to your user name and join us!

Muzzleloading Forum

HomeFAQRegisterLog in

Not sure what powder to go with

Go down 
Go to page : 1, 2  Next
AuthorMessage
FrontierGander
Site
Site
FrontierGander

Male Number of posts : 16283
Registration date : 2008-05-19

Not sure what powder to go with Empty
PostSubject: Not sure what powder to go with   Not sure what powder to go with EmptyJuly 22nd 2018, 7:18 pm

Got myself into a pickle!

I have some old gearhart owen 2fg, goex 3f and pyrodex P. All 3 of our rifles shoot all 3 powders lights out. I was going to use 3f goex but then I remembered that old GO and decided to take 8 powder tubes of that for my hunting load.

My dad and brother are all set up with the pyrodex.

I hate carrying different powders hunting, and so I am considering just going with the Pyrodex P in all 3 rifles. I got them all set up perfectly, they shoot it excellent, easy to reload. So maybe I am just stressing out over nothing and should refill my tubes with Pyrodex P and be done with it.

Its only July, hunt starts in September, so its nice to get all of this squared away and done long ahead of the hunt. I don't even have to adjustment my sights or anything! Built my Hawken over 2 years ago and havent adjusted since then. Love that rifle.
Back to top Go down
RLSMITH

Male Number of posts : 43
Registration date : 2018-07-14

PostSubject: Re: Not sure what powder to go with   Not sure what powder to go with EmptyJuly 22nd 2018, 8:00 pm

I personally like Goex best.
Back to top Go down
oneshot 1

oneshot 1

Number of posts : 589
Registration date : 2012-04-23

PostSubject: Re: Not sure what powder to go with   Not sure what powder to go with EmptyJuly 23rd 2018, 5:51 am

How much difference is there?

For me I like Pyrodex anymore because it is easy to get.

oneshot
Back to top Go down
The author of this message was banned from the forum - See the message
Mike in Oz

Mike in Oz

Male Number of posts : 197
Registration date : 2017-09-22

PostSubject: Re: Not sure what powder to go with   Not sure what powder to go with EmptyJuly 23rd 2018, 7:14 am

Black powder for me all the way.   Smile
Back to top Go down
burlesontom

Male Number of posts : 168
Registration date : 2018-04-10

PostSubject: Re: Not sure what powder to go with   Not sure what powder to go with EmptyJuly 23rd 2018, 9:41 am

I like real black powder best. I know its hard for some to get a hold of without having it shipped in.

I just bought 6 pounds of Alliant Muzzleloader MZ but haven't tried it yet. I posted about it in the Blackpowder section over at thefiringline forum and one responder kept comparing it to Kitty Litter in size. Here is my thread.

https://thefiringline.com/forums/showthread.php?t=596610

I got mine from Sportsmans Warehouse for $10 a pound. In open burning test it seems good. If it ever cools off around here from the 100* plus days I will give it a real test and report the results here.

What Hawken rifle do you have?
Back to top Go down
OldMtnMan

OldMtnMan

Male Number of posts : 10342
Registration date : 2010-09-23

PostSubject: Re: Not sure what powder to go with   Not sure what powder to go with EmptyJuly 23rd 2018, 10:07 am

This is a no-brainer. All of you shoot Goex the real powder.

Why shoot old technology in a gun and then use modern powder? Might as well use a sabot too.

I'm addicted to black powder.
Back to top Go down
FrontierGander
Site
Site
FrontierGander

PostSubject: Re: Not sure what powder to go with   Not sure what powder to go with EmptyJuly 23rd 2018, 10:28 am

Burlesonton, It is kitty litter size. That was me responding of course.

I think I am going to let my dad and brother use Pyrodex P since that is what they are dialed in with. My dad can not shoot his rifle to much due to bruising badly on his arm from the recoil. I got my loads already ready to go, so 80gr 2fg Gearhart Owen it is!
Back to top Go down
OldMtnMan

OldMtnMan

PostSubject: Re: Not sure what powder to go with   Not sure what powder to go with EmptyJuly 23rd 2018, 10:34 am

Where did you find that old powder? That was between Dupont and Goex.

Back to top Go down
FrontierGander
Site
Site
FrontierGander

PostSubject: Re: Not sure what powder to go with   Not sure what powder to go with EmptyJuly 23rd 2018, 10:41 am

My ex girl friend works with a fellow that used to shoot BP and he mentioned he had some stuff for sale and she bought me 3 lbs of it, along with all kinds of round balls and other items. I use it very little as its a  great accurate powder!
Back to top Go down
burlesontom

PostSubject: Re: Not sure what powder to go with   Not sure what powder to go with EmptyJuly 23rd 2018, 10:50 am

Yes Jon I knew that was you. I just wanted to Razz you a little. Tease

I think you made the right choice on the powder. Nothing better than real black powder.
Back to top Go down
FrontierGander
Site
Site
FrontierGander

PostSubject: Re: Not sure what powder to go with   Not sure what powder to go with EmptyJuly 23rd 2018, 10:53 am

I think so to! I got the other guys rifles set up with great nipples to set the pyrodex off, so I think they will be good to go.

I tried to install a new spit fire nipple I bought for mine but that sob was to long and did not seat up against the drum Evil or Very Mad
Back to top Go down
burlesontom

PostSubject: Re: Not sure what powder to go with   Not sure what powder to go with EmptyJuly 23rd 2018, 10:58 am

"My ex girl friend works with a fellow that used to shoot BP and he mentioned he had some stuff for sale and she bought me 3 lbs of it, along with all kinds of round balls and other items".

And you let her get away???

Last edited by burlesontom on July 23rd 2018, 10:59 am; edited 1 time in total
Back to top Go down
OldMtnMan

OldMtnMan

PostSubject: Re: Not sure what powder to go with   Not sure what powder to go with EmptyJuly 23rd 2018, 10:58 am

I don't know how much your dad and brother are into traditional muzzleloading, but you of all people should be using nothing but real black.

Read your PM's.

Back to top Go down
FrontierGander
Site
Site
FrontierGander

PostSubject: Re: Not sure what powder to go with   Not sure what powder to go with EmptyJuly 23rd 2018, 11:04 am

Limited stock Pete. I got a ton of pyrodex and its nice and accurate.
Back to top Go down
OldMtnMan

OldMtnMan

PostSubject: Re: Not sure what powder to go with   Not sure what powder to go with EmptyJuly 23rd 2018, 11:07 am

Yeah, but it's....................pyrodex. Barf.....

You know better. Use it up and get real BP, or just let your brother and dad use it all.

Back to top Go down
FrontierGander
Site
Site
FrontierGander

PostSubject: Re: Not sure what powder to go with   Not sure what powder to go with EmptyJuly 23rd 2018, 11:13 am

LOL that Pyrodex out shot every person at rendevous last year. Even out did them with some chunky American pioneer my friend had in his horn. Talk about a close call to! I used all my powder first and had to use his APP horn for my last 3 or 4 shots, including one at 125 yards off hand crazy You talk about starting to sweat at the end!
Back to top Go down
OldMtnMan

OldMtnMan

PostSubject: Re: Not sure what powder to go with   Not sure what powder to go with EmptyJuly 23rd 2018, 11:22 am

I know it works Jon. Burns cleaner too. However, it's just wrong if you want to be traditional and I know you do.

Back to top Go down
FrontierGander
Site
Site
FrontierGander

PostSubject: Re: Not sure what powder to go with   Not sure what powder to go with EmptyJuly 23rd 2018, 11:34 am

:shh
Back to top Go down
tranders

Number of posts : 6
Registration date : 2017-09-07

PostSubject: Re: Not sure what powder to go with   Not sure what powder to go with EmptyJuly 23rd 2018, 11:35 am

Unless you ride a horse or mule into the rendezvous,nobody is 100% traditional.

I prefer Goex or Swiss,but have no problems using Pyrodex.
Back to top Go down
OldMtnMan

OldMtnMan

PostSubject: Re: Not sure what powder to go with   Not sure what powder to go with EmptyJuly 23rd 2018, 11:40 am

@tranders wrote:
Unless you ride a horse or mule into the rendezvous,nobody is 100% traditional.

I prefer Goex or Swiss,but have no problems using Pyrodex.
I know. I hear that all the time. You can be as traditional as possible and easily done for the shooting.

If I could get away with riding a horse instead of driving my Jeep i'd do it. It's not practical. Some compromises need to be made. Like talking to you on a computer.

Back to top Go down
burlesontom

PostSubject: Re: Not sure what powder to go with   Not sure what powder to go with EmptyJuly 23rd 2018, 12:29 pm

@OldMtnMan wrote:

I know. I hear that all the time. You can be as traditional as possible and easily done for the shooting.

If I could get away with riding a horse instead of driving my Jeep i'd do it. It's not practical. Some compromises need to be made. Like talking to you on a computer.
 Well as long as its a period correct computer with a distressed leather cover and elephant ivory keypad its OK. t up

I would like to say I have shot a ton of Pyrodex but I have really only shot about 3 pounds of it. And it worked fine. If it was all I could get then thats what I would use and wouldn't lose any sleep over it.

I like traditional BP but I am not a true traditionalist shooter. I don't like inlines and prefer round balls but you will never find me in the woods in an 18th century suit of clothes. I don't have any. I like the spirit of what went before. If I belonged to a BP club I might be a little more particular about accuracy.

I do load and shoot from a leather pouch. I use an inline capper. I have a deer antler short starter I made many years ago. But thats about as far as I have went. What concerns me is what works and what will put a ball in a deer or through the bullseye at 75 yards.
Back to top Go down
OldMtnMan

OldMtnMan

PostSubject: Re: Not sure what powder to go with   Not sure what powder to go with EmptyJuly 23rd 2018, 1:38 pm

I'm not into it like Jon is. I was once but not anymore. I will only use real BP in a sidelock but i'm not beyond using a different weapon. Even inlines. 30-30 Win 94 or Marlin, crossbow, Rem 700 in .270. I've used and would still use any one of them.

What never changes and hasn't in over 60 years is how I hunt. Still hunting with no tricks like calling, long shot, tree stands, bait, dogs, etc. If I can't fool the game by sneaking up on it. It gets a free pass.

No bias for what others do. This is just my rules for me.

Back to top Go down
oneshot 1

oneshot 1

Number of posts : 589
Registration date : 2012-04-23

PostSubject: Re: Not sure what powder to go with   Not sure what powder to go with EmptyJuly 23rd 2018, 8:13 pm

Strange used Dogs many years ago but don't hardly anymore.

oneshot
Back to top Go down
FrontierGander
Site
Site
FrontierGander

PostSubject: Re: Not sure what powder to go with   Not sure what powder to go with EmptyJuly 23rd 2018, 10:04 pm

well the old man is almost sighted in! Rain ran us off the range but a few more shots and he will be set and ready to go.
Back to top Go down

Not sure what powder to go with
Page 1 of 2Go to page : 1, 2  Next

Permissions in this forum:You cannot reply to topics in this forum
Frontier Muzzleloading :: Muzzleloading Topic :: Traditional Muzzleloading-
Jump to: