Frontier Muzzleloading
Welcome to Frontier Muzzleloading!

Please take the time to either Register or Log In to your user name and join us!

Muzzleloading Forum

HomeFAQRegisterLog in

Hog Hunt with caplock worked out

Go down 
AuthorMessage
Sparkitoff

Number of posts : 222
Registration date : 2018-06-08

Hog Hunt with caplock worked out Empty
PostSubject: Hog Hunt with caplock worked out   Hog Hunt with caplock worked out Empty2018-08-04, 16:52

I was able to sneak up to 3 hogs.  At 47 yards on the rangefinder I took a kneeling position and cocked the hammer.  Lined up the sights and squeezed.  When the smoke cleared, the hog was dead right where it was last standing.  The load was 80 grains Triple 7 FFFg powder under a Cheap Shot sabot.  These cheap shots are a pure lead HP of 250 grain and .452 diameter. The package said a .44 bullet and 240 grains but I measured and weighed them 3 or 4 times to confirm.  The rifle is a Traditions Deer Hunter kit that I put together and stuck a sling on. The bullet went through both shoulders and exited, breaking a lot of bone making a good sized exit hole. Photo shows the exit hole.....
NOTE: The shallow rifling in 1:48 in this barrel fouls quickly with plastic from the sabot and accuracy goes out the window after shot 3 or 4 if you don't do a good tight swabbing between shots.  I'm not going to keep using these projectiles in this rifle, this was just to get it going.

Hog Hunt with caplock worked out Hog_hunt_with_50_traditions
Back to top Go down
falcon

falcon

Male Number of posts : 1563
Registration date : 2012-05-28

PostSubject: Re: Hog Hunt with caplock worked out   Hog Hunt with caplock worked out Empty2018-08-05, 06:18

Good job on the porker.
Back to top Go down
Rifleman1776

Number of posts : 23
Registration date : 2018-07-04

PostSubject: Re: Hog Hunt with caplock worked out   Hog Hunt with caplock worked out Empty2018-08-05, 10:24

Good job. But, methinks he would be just as ded if you had used a patched round ball.
Back to top Go down
FrontierGander
Site
Site
FrontierGander

Male Number of posts : 16344
Registration date : 2008-05-19

PostSubject: Re: Hog Hunt with caplock worked out   Hog Hunt with caplock worked out Empty2018-08-05, 10:33

Excellent job!
Back to top Go down
Sparkitoff

PostSubject: Re: Hog Hunt with caplock worked out   Hog Hunt with caplock worked out Empty2018-08-05, 21:24

Couldn’t get a PRB load to work in range session. Tried these components that I had and they happen to group good. Will experiment more later,...
Back to top Go down
burlesontom

Male Number of posts : 168
Registration date : 2018-04-10

PostSubject: Re: Hog Hunt with caplock worked out   Hog Hunt with caplock worked out Empty2018-08-06, 15:42

How did you attach the sling to your gun?

And what kind of hat are you wearing?
Back to top Go down
Sparkitoff

PostSubject: Re: Hog Hunt with caplock worked out   Hog Hunt with caplock worked out Empty2018-08-06, 21:25

I bought a ramrod barrel with sling swivel attachment on ebay.  D/T it and put two screws in it. Wood end has a screw-in stud.  It just a camo hat that I got from a company.
Back to top Go down
burlesontom

Male Number of posts : 168
Registration date : 2018-04-10

PostSubject: Re: Hog Hunt with caplock worked out   Hog Hunt with caplock worked out Empty2018-08-07, 09:00

Thanks Sparky. I was joking about your hat and really referring to the blacked out face in the picture.

Nice hog. I have never shot one and have only seen a few in the wild. my bud lives in Weatherford Tx and I really thought by now he would have a few pigs running around there but so far none have shown up even though they are near him to the north and west. Someday...
Back to top Go down
oneshot 1

oneshot 1

Number of posts : 619
Registration date : 2012-04-23

PostSubject: Re: Hog Hunt with caplock worked out   Hog Hunt with caplock worked out Empty2018-08-07, 20:10

I use Cheap Shot Sabots in my CVA Inline as matter fact I have killed Hogs up to 200 pounds using them.

Surprised you got at exit.

Nice Hog just right for eating.

oneshot
Back to top Go down
wganz

Number of posts : 22
Registration date : 2018-07-26

PostSubject: Re: Hog Hunt with caplock worked out   Hog Hunt with caplock worked out Empty2018-08-10, 05:15

@burlesontom wrote:
Thanks Sparky. I was joking about your hat and really referring to the blacked out face in the picture.

I'm sure that out in internet land somewhere some snowflake is catching the vapors of the blacked out face.  Rolling Eyes

Good hunt & glad you had a successful one at that.
Back to top Go down
heelerau

heelerau

Male Number of posts : 176
Registration date : 2018-02-08

PostSubject: Re: Hog Hunt with caplock worked out   Hog Hunt with caplock worked out Empty2018-08-13, 05:07

Well, done, we have feral porkers down under to, will have a go one day, Brotherinlaw has some on his farm down south. Home cured bacon?

Mad Irish Jack ODonnell

Male Number of posts : 41
Registration date : 2016-02-11

PostSubject: Re: Hog Hunt with caplock worked out   Hog Hunt with caplock worked out Empty2018-08-15, 20:46

Congrats pig , nice looking Bacon mover.
Back to top Go down
https://rangersoftheohiocompany.shutterfly.com/

Hog Hunt with caplock worked out
Page 1 of 1

Permissions in this forum:You cannot reply to topics in this forum
Frontier Muzzleloading :: Muzzleloading Topic :: Traditional Muzzleloading-
Jump to: