Frontier Muzzleloading
Welcome to Frontier Muzzleloading!

Please take the time to either Register or Log In to your user name and join us!

Muzzleloading Forum

HomeFAQRegisterLog in

Well, I've Done It Now

Go down 
AuthorMessage
burlesontom

Male Number of posts : 168
Registration date : 2018-04-10

Well, I've Done It Now Empty
PostSubject: Well, I've Done It Now   Well, I've Done It Now EmptyAugust 7th 2018, 2:53 pm

I have just joined the Wacky World of flintlock shooters. Or Frintrock if you Japanese. Tease

This will be my first flinter. Anyone have a good source for flints? Those are expensive for what they are. I wish I had some English to knap my own. Its looks easy with good rock. Here is the gun I won on GB. I have paid for it now I just got to wait for it to get here.

https://www.gunbroker.com/item/780482022
Back to top Go down
burlesontom

PostSubject: Re: Well, I've Done It Now   Well, I've Done It Now EmptyAugust 7th 2018, 2:58 pm

Watch these for making flints. Looks easy to me.

Back to top Go down
AndyinEverson

AndyinEverson

Male Number of posts : 76
Registration date : 2017-08-12

PostSubject: Re: Well, I've Done It Now   Well, I've Done It Now EmptyAugust 7th 2018, 3:31 pm

The Gun Works in Springfield OR...
Dixie's Gun Works...
October Country...
All sell good flints...I'd stay away from the cheaper "cut" flint and use only knapped English or French flints....
Andy

Rick N Bama

Male Number of posts : 95
Location : North Alabama smack dab in the heart of Tornado Alley!
Registration date : 2017-11-23

PostSubject: Re: Well, I've Done It Now   Well, I've Done It Now EmptyAugust 7th 2018, 3:56 pm

My Grandson has a Lyman Trade Flintlock.  His is a good shooter.  I think you'll enjoy it.  Track of the Wolf is a good source of Flints and anything else you might need to shoot it.
Back to top Go down
burlesontom

PostSubject: Re: Well, I've Done It Now   Well, I've Done It Now EmptyAugust 7th 2018, 6:19 pm

Thanks for the suggestions. I know about all the usual suspects but paying $2.50 for a rock chip is sorta dumb. Did you watch the videos I posted? Especially the second one. I can do that. I just need the right kind of flint. I have flint on hand and chip on it but I don't get what I need in the way of a proper flint.
Back to top Go down
burlesontom

PostSubject: Re: Well, I've Done It Now   Well, I've Done It Now EmptyAugust 7th 2018, 7:13 pm

OK I found a guy on ebay that sells 5 flints for $10 so $2.00 a flint. I may just order 10 flints. That should keep me busy for a while. And Track Of The Wolf has the size i need 3/4x5/8") also for $2.00 each so I guess thats the going price. Shocked

I guess if you get several shots and I have no idea how many shots a flint last and you can sharpen the flint the price isn't that bad. I live north of where the excellent Georgetown flint comes from. I may have to make a trip down there and see about hunting up some pieces of raw material. I like making my own stuff.
Back to top Go down
AndyinEverson

AndyinEverson

Male Number of posts : 76
Registration date : 2017-08-12

PostSubject: Re: Well, I've Done It Now   Well, I've Done It Now EmptyAugust 7th 2018, 8:07 pm

Some flints last 20-40 shots...others 2-4 shots...
Its a rock ...its natural....it will break...maybe sooner...maybe later
And $2.00 -$2.50 is the going rate for flints...buy 'em by the dozen...then buy some more , later to store up...it ain't like they will go bad... LOL
Andy

Well, I've Done It Now
Page 1 of 1

Permissions in this forum:You cannot reply to topics in this forum
Frontier Muzzleloading :: Muzzleloading Topic :: Traditional Muzzleloading-
Jump to: