Frontier Muzzleloading
Welcome to Frontier Muzzleloading!

Please take the time to either Register or Log In to your user name and join us!

Muzzleloading Forum

HomeFAQRegisterLog in

Firestone tires - Back to their old ways?

Go down 
AuthorMessage
FrontierGander
Site
Site
FrontierGander

Male Number of posts : 16344
Registration date : 2008-05-19

Firestone tires - Back to their old ways? Empty
PostSubject: Firestone tires - Back to their old ways?   Firestone tires - Back to their old ways? Empty2018-08-08, 10:48

My nephew sent me this picture this morning. 2017 Dodge Challenger RT with factory installed Firestone tires. The car only has 14,100 miles on it and today he found this! Looks like firestone is going back to their old ways and tire separation.
Firestone tires - Back to their old ways? 38880510
Back to top Go down
OldMtnMan

OldMtnMan

Male Number of posts : 10418
Registration date : 2010-09-23

PostSubject: Re: Firestone tires - Back to their old ways?   Firestone tires - Back to their old ways? Empty2018-08-08, 11:12

I've never bought a Firestone tire. I doubt I ever will.

I'm addicted to black powder.
Back to top Go down
FrontierGander
Site
Site
FrontierGander

Male Number of posts : 16344
Registration date : 2008-05-19

PostSubject: Re: Firestone tires - Back to their old ways?   Firestone tires - Back to their old ways? Empty2018-08-08, 11:19

I know I won't buy them! I contacted firestone and they are sending him over to a local shop that is authorized to inspect their tires. If its a flaw, they will replace it.... With another flawed product Laughing
Back to top Go down
OldMtnMan

OldMtnMan

PostSubject: Re: Firestone tires - Back to their old ways?   Firestone tires - Back to their old ways? Empty2018-08-08, 11:40

Yes, but it will be a new flawed product. Firestone seems to think that's ok.

Back to top Go down
Rick N Bama

Rick N Bama

Male Number of posts : 95
Location : North Alabama smack dab in the heart of Tornado Alley!
Registration date : 2017-11-23

PostSubject: Re: Firestone tires - Back to their old ways?   Firestone tires - Back to their old ways? Empty2018-08-08, 12:01

The company I spent 31 years working for was using Firestone Tires.  One morning I was headed out to a job and had a blowout on the ramp of the Interstate, thank God I was going about 30.  I called the tire shop and they came out and put my spare (Firestone) on.  That very afternoon on my way in doing about 50 on a  state highway I blew that tire out.  The shop came out again to put a tire on just to get me back in town.  All of our Trucks got new tires the next day and we never used Firestone again.  When we go vehicle shopping the first thing I check is the tires.  If they're Firestone I move on.  I'll never drive again on their crappy tires!
Back to top Go down
OldMtnMan

OldMtnMan

PostSubject: Re: Firestone tires - Back to their old ways?   Firestone tires - Back to their old ways? Empty2018-08-08, 13:43

You'd think in 2018 they could figure out how to make a tire. Everybody else has.

Back to top Go down
patocazador

patocazador

Number of posts : 5852
Registration date : 2012-08-22

PostSubject: Re: Firestone tires - Back to their old ways?   Firestone tires - Back to their old ways? Empty2018-08-10, 11:21

I had 4 Goodyear tires cup out on me after only 10k miles. Every outfit seems to start putting out crappy products after awhile ... thus ruining a good reputation that took decades to build up.

"My reading of history convinces me that most bad government results from too much government." -Thomas Jefferson
Back to top Go down
mark/wi

Number of posts : 13
Registration date : 2017-08-03

PostSubject: Re: Firestone tires - Back to their old ways?   Firestone tires - Back to their old ways? Empty2018-08-10, 16:03

Were are these tires made? Mark
Back to top Go down
Old Smoke

Old Smoke

Male Number of posts : 310
Registration date : 2016-01-28

PostSubject: Re: Firestone tires - Back to their old ways?   Firestone tires - Back to their old ways? Empty2018-08-12, 06:16

Been driving noting but Firestone for decades.  Never had a problem and they have lasted many miles.  

They did get a bad rep with the Ford Explorer wrecks that happend in the 90's, but that was because Ford said to run them with only 22 psig!  That's what's printed on my door panel sticker.  Run them at 32 psig and no problems in 165,000 miles.
Back to top Go down
falcon

falcon

Male Number of posts : 1563
Registration date : 2012-05-28

PostSubject: Re: Firestone tires - Back to their old ways?   Firestone tires - Back to their old ways? Empty2018-08-12, 07:33

My Toyota Tacoma has about 45,000 miles on Firestone Destination tires.   One was replaced at no cost under the road hazard warranty because of a puncture.  

My son says BF Goodrich eliminated the mileage guarantee of their All Terrain tires.
Back to top Go down
patocazador

patocazador

Number of posts : 5852
Registration date : 2012-08-22

PostSubject: Re: Firestone tires - Back to their old ways?   Firestone tires - Back to their old ways? Empty2018-08-12, 09:19

I've got a set of Cooper tires on my truck now. They replaced the B. F. Goodrich OE tires. One of the Goodrich tires blew out and almost caused me to crash at 70 mph. They had 62,000 on them but they shouldn't have blow-outs.
I am real happy with the Coopers except the cost. Still, they were $100 cheaper than the BF Goodrich for a set of 4.

"My reading of history convinces me that most bad government results from too much government." -Thomas Jefferson
Back to top Go down
OldMtnMan

OldMtnMan

PostSubject: Re: Firestone tires - Back to their old ways?   Firestone tires - Back to their old ways? Empty2018-08-12, 09:24

Ford recommended 26psi and Firestone said it should be 30psi. A pretty sad tire that can't run 4psi low without falling apart and blowing. I run the tires on my Jeep at 20psi with no problems and have done it for 15 years.

Firestone tires have killed 271 and injured 823. They've recalled 23 million tires in their history.

No thanks! There are much better tires available.

Back to top Go down
Rick N Bama

Rick N Bama

PostSubject: Re: Firestone tires - Back to their old ways?   Firestone tires - Back to their old ways? Empty2018-08-14, 06:54

Didn't Bridgestone buy or partner with Firestone?  I had a '92 Mazda PU with Bridgestone Tires from the Factory which gave good service.  I try to buy Michelin now although the last set of tires I bought for the wife's Toyota were a different brand.  I can't remember the name of those tires now, but they were made in Korea and came highly recommended by the Service Center I use.  I would walk outside to check the name, but last January a young lady decided that she didn't like our car and hit us almost head on totaling our beloved Toyota Venza which was the best car we've ever owned.
Back to top Go down
mark1945
Forum
Forum
mark1945

Male Number of posts : 228
Registration date : 2015-08-20

PostSubject: Re: Firestone tires - Back to their old ways?   Firestone tires - Back to their old ways? Empty2018-08-14, 13:15

I had a 92 Ranger 4x4 came with Firestone Wranglers on it had over 80,000 miles on them when I replaced them never even had a flat on one. Only really bad tires I had was a set of Dunlops I put on a 88 Ranger they had to have magnets inside if there was a nail or screw on the road they would find it .Took them off way before they even showed much tread wear .Just couldnt afford the time and expense of all the flats.

Cabelas 58 cal Hawken             Colt Navy 36 cal                     Pietta 1863 Remington pocket rev 31 cal
Pedersoli Kodiak 58 cal             CVA 58 Cal. Mountain Rifle      Classic Arms Co 44 Cal New Orleans Ace
CVA 45 Cal Derringer               TC Renegade 54cal                 Navy Arms Co. Pietta 12 gauge double
Pedersoli 12 gauge double        Traditions Crockett 32 cal        2 Traditions Mountain Rifles 50 cal
Pietta 1851 Conf Navy 44
Back to top Go down
JLBSparks

Number of posts : 189
Registration date : 2015-03-04

PostSubject: Re: Firestone tires - Back to their old ways?   Firestone tires - Back to their old ways? Empty2018-08-18, 08:31

The early Explorers came with "P" rated tires (passenger car) which made them feel top heavy and prone to rollovers. I switched to "LT" rated tires (light truck) and the problem was gone.

-Joe
Back to top Go down
Rick N Bama

Rick N Bama

PostSubject: Re: Firestone tires - Back to their old ways?   Firestone tires - Back to their old ways? Empty2018-08-18, 09:25

@mark1945 wrote:
Only really bad tires I had was a set of Dunlops I put on a 88 Ranger they had to have magnets inside if there was a nail or screw on the road they would find it .

Your post made me go out to confirm that I have Dunlop's on my '13 Tacoma.  Yes they do indeed seem to have magnets inside as I'm had two flats on them in the 36K miles I have on the truck.  My last truck was a '98 4-Runner ,which in 215K miles, I never experienced a flat running Michelin tires.
Back to top Go down
OldMtnMan

OldMtnMan

PostSubject: Re: Firestone tires - Back to their old ways?   Firestone tires - Back to their old ways? Empty2018-08-18, 10:13

I use Cooper on my Jeep. Best mud tire i've found so far if you do on and off road.

Back to top Go down
Rick N Bama

Rick N Bama

PostSubject: Re: Firestone tires - Back to their old ways?   Firestone tires - Back to their old ways? Empty2018-08-23, 13:48

The Dunlops I have on my truck ride good and seem to be wearing good.  I rotate them every oil change (5K) and the wear seems to be even on all of the tires.  Even though they're 5 years old and even though my truck sits outside in the weather, they do not seem to be dry rotting any at all.  I hope to get 60K or more out of them, but I think they'll crack and rot before the truck reaches that many miles.  I hope that I can afford to replace them with Michelins which I consider the best tire on the road. 

BTW, my brother spent close to 40 years working for Goodyear, yet for the last 15 years or so that he worked for them he did not run their tires.  He kept Michelins on both his car & truck.
Back to top Go down
falcon

falcon

Male Number of posts : 1563
Registration date : 2012-05-28

PostSubject: Re: Firestone tires - Back to their old ways?   Firestone tires - Back to their old ways? Empty2018-08-23, 18:22

In 1990 i came close to dying in Saudi Arabia when the right rear tire on my new company Blazer blew out at 85-90 mph.   Vehicle went off the right side of the road.  Thankfully the highway had no curb or ditch.   

That new Blazer came without desert tires.  Company proposed buying desert tires.  OPM SANG (US Army) said they had Bridgestone Desert Dueler tires on hand.  There was less than 1,000 miles on those tires when the blowout happened.  Pieces of the tube were paper thin and coated with rubber dust.   Yep, they put bias ply tubes in radial tires that squirmed the tubes to death.    

Got a new set of tubeless Desert Duelers and they were great.
Back to top Go down
Buck Conner
Site Moderator
Site Moderator
Buck Conner

Male Number of posts : 3490
Registration date : 2015-10-20

PostSubject: Re: Firestone tires - Back to their old ways?   Firestone tires - Back to their old ways? Empty2018-08-27, 10:43

I forgot to mention and some may not be aware of this. Like everything we buy there's always the "shelf life" factor. I had heard this years ago and then passed it off, never giving it a second thought.

Back in 2004 for a birthday present I bought the wife a new car - 2004 Volvo XC70 (at the time was rated the safest car on the road). She had done a ton of research on the safest vehicle, AWD in an SUV style. Volvo for the mid range $40-$50K range had the best ratings. We had talked about a new vehicle and done nothing, had seen a moca colored Volvo in the show room the past weekend that she liked but didn't like the $42K price tag. I beat it to the dealership Monday and purchased the car having them place a foot wide red ribbon around the car like a Christmas gift. On the way home from work that day we stopped at the dealership, she spotted the XC70 with the red ribbon, that pissed her off. "Crap its sold" was her reply, then the sales manager asked if she liked the car, then hanged her the keys "Its Yours". She went crazy. The car is in new condition after 14 years with only 29,450 original miles. For the heck of it I took it to the dealership for the car's 30,000 mile check up. First thing was "that's probably 230,000 miles not 29,000 miles."  Then the sales manager comes from the shop "That's a new/old car", no shit. They did the service and then told me we need to get new tires.

After checking different sources I find out that most tires today have only a 10 year life per the government ratings. The different manufacturers have that information available by the tire's serial number and can tell you when it was made, what dealership purchased the tire and how long its been in his inventory. That's nice but who has the time to mess with this. That's what I thought until I had a company truck blow a front tire that caused the vehicle to roll over (totalled). The state and the insurance company got involved and found that Ford Fleet Services purchased a number of the E350 vans with Firestone tires (a special deal from Firestone). Turned out the tires had been in their inventory for 4-5 years before being put on these trucks. Now six years later we started having tire issues and I rolled one at 50 miles an hour. 

Scary shit we are dealing with, being blind to what is going on.

Back to top Go down
OldMtnMan

OldMtnMan

PostSubject: Re: Firestone tires - Back to their old ways?   Firestone tires - Back to their old ways? Empty2018-08-27, 10:56

No problem for me. I'm lucky to get two years out of my mud tires. Sheesh!

Back to top Go down

Firestone tires - Back to their old ways?
Page 1 of 1

Permissions in this forum:You cannot reply to topics in this forum
Frontier Muzzleloading :: The Hunting Lodge :: Off Topic-Hunting Lodge-
Jump to: