Frontier Muzzleloading
Welcome to Frontier Muzzleloading!

Please take the time to either Register or Log In to your user name and join us!

Muzzleloading Forum

HomeFAQRegisterLog in

what they did 30 years ago, does it work.

Go down 
AuthorMessage
The author of this message was banned from the forum - See the message
heelerau

heelerau

Male Number of posts : 176
Registration date : 2018-02-08

what they did 30 years ago, does it work.  Empty
PostSubject: Re: what they did 30 years ago, does it work.    what they did 30 years ago, does it work.  Empty2018-08-15, 06:29

Stong Eagel, I reckon one of them little blue tablets might be the go!! Old age, stiff in all the wrong places and soft in the others !!

FrontierGander
Site
Site
FrontierGander

Male Number of posts : 16345
Registration date : 2008-05-19

PostSubject: Re: what they did 30 years ago, does it work.    what they did 30 years ago, does it work.  Empty2018-08-15, 09:53

Most likely hot air. These guys back in the days were trying everything to reinvent the wheel.
Back to top Go down
heelerau

heelerau

Male Number of posts : 176
Registration date : 2018-02-08

PostSubject: Re: what they did 30 years ago, does it work.    what they did 30 years ago, does it work.  Empty2018-08-15, 16:31

Strong eagle,  to be frank I had never heard of using a large vitamin e capsule as part of a load. We have got pyrodex available here had have cleared it for club events as black powder has been hard to get here in WA, Dept of Mines regs re transport from over in eastern Australia. One of the reasons  I have kept for years a good stockpile as we go though these droughts periodically.

Mad Irish Jack ODonnell

Male Number of posts : 41
Registration date : 2016-02-11

PostSubject: Re: what they did 30 years ago, does it work.    what they did 30 years ago, does it work.  Empty2018-08-15, 20:29

In late August 1978, I won an Armsport Hawken, 54 caliber, flintlock kit, with finishing and shooters kits and 2 cans 2F and 4F Goex BP. It took me a couple weeks to finish and with the help of friends, became proficient enough to harvest a doe in Pennsylvania'a flintlock only primitive season. It runs, still, Dec 26 through 2 full weeks + until the second Saturday of the second full week after Christmas. I was hooked. Since then I've had two percussion rifles (.32 and .45 cal),* 2 perc single shot pistols (.45s), two old Army revolvers (.457); two .45 rifles (a kit Hawken and a kit Kentucky), *2* Lehigh Valley rifles (*.54), An Early Hawken fullstock* .54 (looks like a Hagerstown, MD Sam Hawken .54)2* Early Lancasters *both .54 and the smooth barrel* (smoothrifle .28 ga) a Tulle de Chase *.62/20ga and a *Pedersoli kit Brown Bess .75/12ga. I've sold most. I kept the two Early Lancasters, 2 single shot pistols. (* designates my builds) All were flint except were listed as percs. I'm 70 yo and still shoot fairly well for a beat up ol' man. Not like in my 40's but still respectable. I started with Goex BP; Experimented with Pyroden,  Swiss BP and Elephant BP. My guns always do better with Goex so I shoot using Goex. This month is 40 years of playing with this hobby. Enjoyable. The only thing I can pass on is, Listen to your results with YOUR GUNS. Feed them what they like and they'll do right by you.
Oh, Yeh. I never heard or saw anyone do anything like capsule or such. Sorry bout that.
Back to top Go down
https://rangersoftheohiocompany.shutterfly.com/
Hanshi

Hanshi

Male Number of posts : 351
Registration date : 2015-01-21

PostSubject: Re: what they did 30 years ago, does it work.    what they did 30 years ago, does it work.  Empty2018-08-18, 14:43

Never heard of vitamin E for a BP cartridge rifle.  I do know they would often use a "blow tube" after each shot to keep the fouling soft.
Back to top Go down
http://www.martialartsusa.com
FrontierGander
Site
Site
FrontierGander

Male Number of posts : 16345
Registration date : 2008-05-19

PostSubject: Re: what they did 30 years ago, does it work.    what they did 30 years ago, does it work.  Empty2018-08-20, 13:43

Maybe thats why I can get so many shots with my lube. After cleaning, the barrel is heated and a patch with my anti rust lube is swabbed down the bore. The next day, I can load up without having to swab the lube out of the bore because it dries.

Last edited by FrontierGander on 2018-08-20, 13:56; edited 1 time in total
Back to top Go down
OldMtnMan

OldMtnMan

Male Number of posts : 10418
Registration date : 2010-09-23

PostSubject: Re: what they did 30 years ago, does it work.    what they did 30 years ago, does it work.  Empty2018-08-20, 13:43

I'd feel funny adding something to the powder. I rely on patch lube to keep the fouling soft.

To keep the fouling soft in C&B revolvers for CAS we put lube on top of the ball.

I'm addicted to black powder.
Back to top Go down
Hanshi

Hanshi

PostSubject: Re: what they did 30 years ago, does it work.    what they did 30 years ago, does it work.  Empty2018-08-20, 16:18

My BP cartridge experience is limited to the .45 Colt, .38 spl and .357 mag.  I just load all three at 100% loading density and shoot.
Back to top Go down
Overdue Bill

Male Number of posts : 42
Registration date : 2018-04-08

PostSubject: Re: what they did 30 years ago, does it work.    what they did 30 years ago, does it work.  Empty2018-08-26, 15:21

This and some of the other great ideas may help  but really, how much harder is it to just wipe out the barrel every few shots than to mess around carrying tablets or what ever and putting them in with your load?
Back to top Go down
Buck Conner
Site Moderator
Site Moderator
Buck Conner

Male Number of posts : 3490
Registration date : 2015-10-20

PostSubject: Re: what they did 30 years ago, does it work.    what they did 30 years ago, does it work.  Empty2018-08-26, 15:46

I have read this several times back when some fool came up with this idea. John Baird along with several other editors couldn't believe the idea and tested it like they always did. Found no merit in the idea and wondered what the guy was smoking or drinking that came up with this idea. 

The poor guy probably never appeared at another rendezvous.  

We had some fun with Ron Long (Long's Locks), made up a shootin' kit with his name on it - had different vitamins to be used in a match. At a National Match Ron tried to shove our kit down my shorts, we all had a good laugh.

Back to top Go down
Hanshi

Hanshi

PostSubject: Re: what they did 30 years ago, does it work.    what they did 30 years ago, does it work.  Empty2018-08-26, 16:51

Since I've only shot .38 spl and .357 mag BP loads in a couple of stainless revolves I can't say anything definitive about it.  But cleaning up these revolvers is a quick and easy step.  The bores and chambers were always pretty clean of fouling and the "black water" that one gets from cleaning MLs just never happened.  The .45 Colt BP loads were fired in a Colt SAA and a Ruger BH.  Still easy-peasy.
Back to top Go down
Rifleman1776

Number of posts : 23
Registration date : 2018-07-04

PostSubject: Re: what they did 30 years ago, does it work.    what they did 30 years ago, does it work.  Empty2018-08-27, 10:48

Been shooting ml for half a century. Thought I had heard it all.....until now.
Back to top Go down
Buck Conner
Site Moderator
Site Moderator
Buck Conner

PostSubject: Re: what they did 30 years ago, does it work.    what they did 30 years ago, does it work.  Empty2018-08-28, 08:45

I've been shooting muzzleloaders since I was 5 years of age, (with my family being collectors of them since the mid 1800's) that's 73 years. 

There have been more facilities and old wives tales on how to improve anything from lock time to powder charges, a large percentage are just that as Pete will tell you. Lots of ideas and thoughts that many times don't prove to be anymore than one persons idea.

Back to top Go down
Hanshi

Hanshi

PostSubject: Re: what they did 30 years ago, does it work.    what they did 30 years ago, does it work.  Empty2018-08-28, 13:08

When I get a new gun (been a while) I only clean it up and start shooting.  I don't do "lock tuning" or anything similar.  I DO remove the barrel, seal the barrel channel if it isn't sealed already, drill the vent liner to 1/16" and elongate the the lug holes if needed.  These are all within my modest skill set.  I find a good load for the rifles use but never adjust the load in increments less than 5 grains.  And as I mentioned previously, handgun cartridges are dump powder, seat bullet and shoot.  Anything complicated I just avoid.

I use only two patch lubes, Hoppes #9 BP Lube (mostly at the range) and TOW mink oil in the bush.  Long ago I relied on "spit patch" which works very well; but now I seemed to have "dried up" due to some drugs I have to take.  Shooter
Back to top Go down
OldMtnMan

OldMtnMan

PostSubject: Re: what they did 30 years ago, does it work.    what they did 30 years ago, does it work.  Empty2018-08-28, 13:13

@Hanshi wrote:
When I get a new gun (been a while) I only clean it up and start shooting.  I don't do "lock tuning" or anything similar.  I DO remove the barrel, seal the barrel channel if it isn't sealed already, drill the vent liner to 1/16" and elongate the the lug holes if needed.  These are all within my modest skill set.  I find a good load for the rifles use but never adjust the load in increments less than 5 grains.  And as I mentioned previously, handgun cartridges are dump powder, seat bullet and shoot.  Anything complicated I just avoid.

I use only two patch lubes, Hoppes #9 BP Lube (mostly at the range) and TOW mink oil in the bush.  Long ago I relied on "spit patch" which works very well; but now I seemed to have "dried up" due to some drugs I have to take.  Shooter

I'm looking at your avatar. The drugs aren't working.

Back to top Go down
Hanshi

Hanshi

PostSubject: Re: what they did 30 years ago, does it work.    what they did 30 years ago, does it work.  Empty2018-08-28, 15:22

Okay, okay, I'll fess up.  My "avatar" is a family photo of my great grandfather (my dad's side) who was a Klingon general.  That makes me, what, about 1/4 or 1/8 Klingon?  But my friends say I look more "Melcotian" than Klingon; whatever.
Back to top Go down
Buck Conner
Site Moderator
Site Moderator
Buck Conner

PostSubject: Re: what they did 30 years ago, does it work.    what they did 30 years ago, does it work.  Empty2018-08-28, 15:54

@OldMtnMan wrote:

affraid I'm looking at your avatar. The drugs aren't working.

Isn't that the truth Pete.   lol!

Back to top Go down
OldMtnMan

OldMtnMan

PostSubject: Re: what they did 30 years ago, does it work.    what they did 30 years ago, does it work.  Empty2018-08-28, 17:51

A Klingon shooting a muzzleloader? Doesn't seem right somehow.

Back to top Go down
Buck Conner
Site Moderator
Site Moderator
Buck Conner

PostSubject: Re: what they did 30 years ago, does it work.    what they did 30 years ago, does it work.  Empty2018-08-29, 10:03

@OldMtnMan wrote:
A Klingon shooting a muzzleloader? Doesn't seem right somehow.

Maybe they like shooting antique firearms, may have started the whole Klington thing - rise to power !!!!  Rolling Eyes

Back to top Go down
OldMtnMan

OldMtnMan

PostSubject: Re: what they did 30 years ago, does it work.    what they did 30 years ago, does it work.  Empty2018-08-29, 10:35

Yeah, they always seemed kind of dumb.

Back to top Go down
Hanshi

Hanshi

PostSubject: Re: what they did 30 years ago, does it work.    what they did 30 years ago, does it work.  Empty2018-08-29, 14:28

If you watch one of the old "Star Trek" episodes - the one in which the Klingons furnished flintlock muskets to a tribe of people on a planet - you'll see that Kirk told Scotty to manufacture muskets for the opposing side.  This was an earlier episode in which Spock was shot by a musket.  It's all made clear.
Back to top Go down
Buck Conner
Site Moderator
Site Moderator
Buck Conner

PostSubject: Re: what they did 30 years ago, does it work.    what they did 30 years ago, does it work.  Empty2018-08-30, 09:21

The movies companies used this idea from the British government who furnished the African tribes with muzzleloaders (flintlock and percussion guns) into the 1940's. Their way of being sure there was no over through if they had modern weapons.

Back to top Go down
Hanshi

Hanshi

PostSubject: Re: what they did 30 years ago, does it work.    what they did 30 years ago, does it work.  Empty2018-08-30, 11:36

Of course the Klingon/SFC is assumed to be in the future.  However, being that the planetary system is a few hundred light years away, it has already happened and it will be a few hundred years before we will be made aware of it; time dilation.

Not to get too far off track - I'll soon get back to BP guns - Literally everything one sees or hears is in the past and already history.  The galaxies we see are not the galaxies that actually exist today.  We see, even in face to face conversations, what has already occurred; maybe only a micro-second, but time is bizarre in its tangled effects on the universe.  Look into the sky and you're looking at stars & galaxies as they were millions or billions of years ago.

Cosmology/time/space has been an interest of mine since I was a kid.  

We now return to our program "Frontier Muzzleloading".  Dunno lol! study
Back to top Go down
Hanshi

Hanshi

PostSubject: Re: what they did 30 years ago, does it work.    what they did 30 years ago, does it work.  Empty2018-08-31, 12:18

I talked about a lot more than I come close to knowing in my last post.  I read a lot; it helps when you're ignorant ("ignernt", in Southern speak).
Back to top Go down

what they did 30 years ago, does it work.
Page 1 of 1

Permissions in this forum:You cannot reply to topics in this forum
Frontier Muzzleloading :: Muzzleloading Topic :: Traditional Muzzleloading-
Jump to: