Frontier Muzzleloading
Welcome to Frontier Muzzleloading!

Please take the time to either Register or Log In to your user name and join us!

MUZZLELOADING FORUM

HomeGalleryFAQSearchRegisterLog in

Ads

Share | 

Alliant MZ

Go down 
AuthorMessage
burlesontom

Male Number of posts : 106
Registration date : 2018-04-10

PostSubject: Alliant MZ   August 16th 2018, 5:34 pm

I guess no one is interested in Alliant powder or how well it worked. Oh well. scratch
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Rick N Bama

Male Number of posts : 91
Location : North Alabama smack dab in the heart of Tornado Alley!
Registration date : 2017-11-23

PostSubject: Re: Alliant MZ   August 23rd 2018, 3:08 pm

How well did it work for you?  I've seen it on the shelves at the LGS, but since I'm trying to get away from the replacements for BP I haven't bought any.  I only shoot them in my Inline and I don't shoot it very often, not nearly as often as I should!
Back to top Go down
View user profile
burlesontom

PostSubject: Re: Alliant MZ   August 23rd 2018, 4:42 pm

Hi Rick. I was impressed with the powder and wish I had ordered more of it when I bought it. I will repost what I originally posted here but since no one seemed to want to respond I removed my post. In hindsight maybe I should have posted my take on this powder in the powder forum.

"I went shooting today and only used Alliant MZ. I shot a new CVA Kentucky pistol I just built and a Cabelas Hawken in .54 caliber I bought off GB at least 5 years ago and had never shot before. I used 40grs of MZ in the pistol and 70grs in the rifle. I did not pop a cap on either nipple first. I blew down the barrel to make sure the nipple was clear and loaded up.

I made sure the ball was down against the powder as firmly as easily possible. But no beating on the ball or anything dumb like that. Ignition was instant. No lag whatsoever. My pistol has a tall front sight so you can file it down so I was shooting low but grouping fine. The rifle was spot on at 50 yards and really slapped the steel plate I had hung up. The plate was a railroad tie plate I found somewhere and painted orange and hung on a metal frame. Thats a cool target.Very Happy

The clean up was the easiest I have ever done. I dropped the pistol barrel in an ice chest with hot soapy water and let it soak a couple of minutes. Then a couple of T-Shirt patches and it was clean. The rifle barrel had the hot water sucked up with the cleaning rod and a patch a few times. It cleaned in just a few strokes. There was a little crud in the bottom but the water was still very clear when I finished.

Needless to say I will be buying more of this powder. One drawback is it is large and didn't like dropping through the funnel on my charger. So I used my charger without a funnel and was good to go. So my impression of this powder is very positive. The price is right and if you are one of those who cannot get real BP this makes a darn good substitute. I like it".👍👍👍
Back to top Go down
View user profile
burlesontom

PostSubject: Re: Alliant MZ   August 23rd 2018, 4:47 pm

Also I bought this from Sportsmans Warehouse. It was $10 a pound with free shipping over $50 IIRC and of course the $20 Hazmat fee. I bought 6 pounds and paid just under $80 total. I sold two pounds to my bud. We both used it that day and he was as happy with it as I was.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
FrontierGander
Forum
Forum

Male Number of posts : 15450
Registration date : 2008-05-19

PostSubject: Re: Alliant MZ   August 23rd 2018, 7:28 pm

I just bought 3lbs today. Every can was a solid lump in the center. It will still shoot, but with that kind of moisture level, don't expect the greatest accuracy/consistency.
Back to top Go down
View user profile https://www.frontiermuzzleloading.com
burlesontom

PostSubject: Re: Alliant MZ   August 23rd 2018, 7:46 pm

Hate to hear that Jon. None of the 6 pounds I got had any lumps in it. So I hope it works for you and you give a report. Hopefully with chronograph records. I have a NIB chrono and really should give it a try. One of these days...
Back to top Go down
View user profile
FrontierGander
Forum
Forum

PostSubject: Re: Alliant MZ   August 23rd 2018, 8:21 pm

WOW! The last can, I pulled out a chunk of powder that barely fit through the hole of powder can. Huge ball of hard powder. I took pictures, Will post them later. Everything is sifted now, so there should be no further issues down the road. $10, I don't really care, its good practice and a lovely smokey field.
Back to top Go down
burlesontom

PostSubject: Re: Alliant MZ   August 24th 2018, 9:37 am

I have had Pyrodex lump up on me before. I just shook the bottle and broke up the lumps. After that I made sure the lid was really tight and never had it happen again. I just did a count on my powder to see how much I had. I have over 30 pounds of black and 5 pounds of Pyrodex and 4 of Alliant MZ. i did shake the Pyrodex bottles and none had any lumps. And that powder is at least 15 years old. And it still goes off just fine. So I wouldn't worry about it too much. Besides its a good reason to get out and shoot it all up. :rtup
Back to top Go down
View user profile
FrontierGander
Forum
Forum

PostSubject: Re: Alliant MZ   August 24th 2018, 3:40 pm

Shaking didnt help these clumps or golf balls i should say lol.
Back to top Go down
falcon

Male Number of posts : 1435
Registration date : 2012-05-28

PostSubject: Re: Alliant MZ   August 24th 2018, 4:35 pm

i have several cans of 12 year old GOEX Pinnacle, also made by APP.  A couple cans clumped.  The clumps were easily broken by slamming the full bottle hard on the table.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Rick N Bama

Male Number of posts : 91
Location : North Alabama smack dab in the heart of Tornado Alley!
Registration date : 2017-11-23

PostSubject: Re: Alliant MZ   August 24th 2018, 5:28 pm

@falcon wrote:
i have several cans of 12 year old GOEX Pinnacle, also made by APP.  A couple cans clumped.  The clumps were easily broken by slamming the full bottle hard on the table.

Pinnacle?  Well I got to rummaging around & I found an unopened can of 2Fg that shaking tells me that it's all but a solid lump.  I had forgotten about even having it Smile  I don't know how many years it's been tucked away, but the price tag on it says that I paid $15.99.  So how does it shoot for you?  Is there a problem with cleanup?
Back to top Go down
View user profile
FrontierGander
Forum
Forum

PostSubject: Re: Alliant MZ   August 24th 2018, 6:39 pm

So far its shooting very nicely at 100 yards. I forgot to seat the bullet hard and of course, the first shot never showed up on paper. That's how sensitive this powder is guys. I loaded it like I do Pyrodex and realized my mistake when I checked the target.
Back to top Go down
valgrego

Number of posts : 13
Registration date : 2018-03-31

PostSubject: Re: Alliant MZ   August 28th 2018, 10:20 pm

I've been shooting the Alliant MZ Black for the last few trips to the range. Three good things to say about it: 1) It's $9.99/lb at Sportsman's Warehouse, 2) it performs as well as Pyrodex Select 2F (great in my Kentucky long rifle, pushing round balls and MaxiBalls; and in a Traditions Strikerfire LDR, shooting Federal B.O.R. 350gr lead bullets), 3) it cleans up really well afterwards. The not-so-good is that it tends to clump up in the can. But it's easy to break up and load. Overall, I like it.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Alliant MZ   

Back to top Go down

Alliant MZ
Page 1 of 1

Permissions in this forum:You cannot reply to topics in this forum
Frontier Muzzleloading :: Muzzleloading Topic :: Powder Room-
Jump to: