Frontier Muzzleloading
Welcome to Frontier Muzzleloading!

Please take the time to either Register or Log In to your user name and join us!

MUZZLELOADING FORUM

HomeGalleryFAQSearchRegisterLog in

Ads

Share | 

Capping the nipples on BP revolver

Go down 
AuthorMessage
Sparkitoff

Number of posts : 57
Registration date : 2018-06-08

PostSubject: Capping the nipples on BP revolver   August 20th 2018, 9:36 am

Does anyone cap the nipples and then load cylinders?

I have mixed feelings about this. I put the cap on by hand and then use a little wooden rod to press it firmly.  Then repeat 5 more times. After they are all capped, I like to lower the hammer and give a little squeeze on the cap. This way, the cap stays put and makes a good seal too.  

I've never had a cap go off while doing this, but if it happens (and it eventually will) it is just a fairly harmless cap going off. 

Loading the cylinders first, I then put the cap on by hand or with a capping tool, and then follow up with the wooden stick. However, the caps are never as snug and secure as when I lower the hammer carefully on them too. With the cylinder loaded, I am reluctant to do this because I have to really control the pistol and the surprise should one discharge. But when I shoot, sometimes the fired caps come off and cause a jam. They do not come off if when I put the caps on before loading the cylinder as described above.

The nipples and caps are a match - in other words they are proper fit. 

Any thoughts on this either way?
Back to top Go down
View user profile
OldMtnMan

Male Number of posts : 10158
Registration date : 2010-09-23

PostSubject: Re: Capping the nipples on BP revolver   August 20th 2018, 9:50 am

You really don't have the proper fit like you think. I shot in CAS competition for decades. That means two handguns shot as fast as possible as it's a timed event. All I had to do is push the caps on with a capper and they never fell off before or after being fired. I used two 1860 Colts which aren't cap friendly like the Remingtons

If we ever capped before loading we'd get banned from ever shooting again.

"You have reached the pinnacle of success as soon as you become uninterested in money, compliments, or publicity."
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Sparkitoff

PostSubject: Re: Capping the nipples on BP revolver   August 20th 2018, 9:57 am

Thanks.  I have two sets of nipples. One hold the #10's. When I fired and rotate the cylinder the fired cap tends to fall off the now empty cylinder on the right of the barrel. With the #11 nipples the caps stay on the nipple but sometimes move back some or have a seam and cause a bind. Any advice?
Back to top Go down
View user profile
OldMtnMan

Male Number of posts : 10158
Registration date : 2010-09-23

PostSubject: Re: Capping the nipples on BP revolver   August 20th 2018, 10:27 am

I know a lot of guys used the Treso nipples.

There was a guy who was always at the shoots who sold custom nipples that he fit to a CCI #11 cap. I know he would fit them on a lathe for a perfect fit. They pushed on easy and were a bitch to get off. I never had one fall off.

You go through a lot to get yours all the way down. It sounds like your actually spreading out the cap to get it down. A perfect fit will push all the way down but tighten up at the same time it bottoms out. A cap has to be bottomed out to prevent misfires.

You could try different brands of caps and nipples for a better fit. Or, find a way of turning down the nipple for a proper fit to the cap.

"You have reached the pinnacle of success as soon as you become uninterested in money, compliments, or publicity."
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Sparkitoff

PostSubject: Re: Capping the nipples on BP revolver   August 20th 2018, 3:10 pm

Thanks
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Capping the nipples on BP revolver   

Back to top Go down