Frontier Muzzleloading
Welcome to Frontier Muzzleloading!

Please take the time to either Register or Log In to your user name and join us!

Muzzleloading Forum

HomeFAQRegisterLog in

Sportsmans Warehouse - Alliant Black MZ

Go down 
Go to page : 1, 2  Next
AuthorMessage
FrontierGander
Site
Site
FrontierGander

Male Number of posts : 16283
Registration date : 2008-05-19

Sportsmans Warehouse - Alliant Black MZ Empty
PostSubject: Sportsmans Warehouse - Alliant Black MZ   Sportsmans Warehouse - Alliant Black MZ EmptyAugust 23rd 2018, 8:54 pm

For $10 a lb, it was just to hard to say no. I was surprised at what was inside, but after lightly pushing down on the chucks of hard powder, they came apart and everything looked fine. I do not expect the most accurate powder, but again, for $10, it will do great for my pistols and 50 yard plinking. I will however try it at 100 yards and further, along with chronographing it.
Sportsmans Warehouse - Alliant Black MZ Img_0015
Sportsmans Warehouse - Alliant Black MZ Img_0016
Sportsmans Warehouse - Alliant Black MZ Img_0014
Sportsmans Warehouse - Alliant Black MZ Img_0018
Sportsmans Warehouse - Alliant Black MZ Img_0017
Back to top Go down
FrontierGander
Site
Site
FrontierGander

PostSubject: Re: Sportsmans Warehouse - Alliant Black MZ   Sportsmans Warehouse - Alliant Black MZ EmptyAugust 24th 2018, 7:53 pm

It shoots! 100 yards 80gr BlackMZ, 250gr REAL & lube felt wad, seated heavy on the powder.

Last shot in the bulls eye was 80gr Pyrodex P with the same conical bullet.

Not bad! I would hunt with a group like that with open sights.
Sportsmans Warehouse - Alliant Black MZ Img_0026
Back to top Go down
Buck Conner
Site Moderator
Site Moderator
Buck Conner

Male Number of posts : 3395
Registration date : 2015-10-20

PostSubject: Re: Sportsmans Warehouse - Alliant Black MZ   Sportsmans Warehouse - Alliant Black MZ EmptyAugust 28th 2018, 5:45 pm

It must be nice to have the time to test do what you do. When do you work kid, are you rich and famous .....  Question   Shocked

Back to top Go down
FrontierGander
Site
Site
FrontierGander

PostSubject: Re: Sportsmans Warehouse - Alliant Black MZ   Sportsmans Warehouse - Alliant Black MZ EmptySeptember 1st 2018, 8:34 pm

Bought 3 more lbs today. Its just hard not to, knowing its only $10 lol. Its good to keep something on hand that allows you to go out and shoot super cheap and keep the real black in stock for hunting season.
Back to top Go down
rsrocket1

Male Number of posts : 14
Registration date : 2013-10-28

PostSubject: Re: Sportsmans Warehouse - Alliant Black MZ   Sportsmans Warehouse - Alliant Black MZ EmptyOctober 8th 2018, 5:14 pm

I bought 11 pounds a couple of years ago from Sportsmans Warehouse the first time they went on clearance.  They've been restocked and put on clearance several times since then.  I probably about 8 pounds too much but it's fun to shoot with the knowledge that your powder is already paid for and you have enough to fire a few cannon balls with what you have.

I keep mine stored in pairs in a 1 gallon Ziplock bag.  They are still fresh and don't feel "clumpy" when I roll them around so I think I'll be good for a long time.
Back to top Go down
Landngroove

Landngroove

Male Number of posts : 39
Registration date : 2013-12-05

PostSubject: Re: Sportsmans Warehouse - Alliant Black MZ   Sportsmans Warehouse - Alliant Black MZ EmptyOctober 8th 2018, 5:31 pm

This was a good powder. I did contact Alliant Powders, and got a reply that Black MZ has been discontinued. When I weighed the charges, it was very accurate. Also very little crud ring, and cleanup was easy. Sorry to see it gone.
Back to top Go down
FrontierGander
Site
Site
FrontierGander

PostSubject: Re: Sportsmans Warehouse - Alliant Black MZ   Sportsmans Warehouse - Alliant Black MZ EmptyOctober 8th 2018, 5:53 pm

Most likely due to American Pioneer going belly up after their last explosion.
Back to top Go down
FrontierGander
Site
Site
FrontierGander

PostSubject: Re: Sportsmans Warehouse - Alliant Black MZ   Sportsmans Warehouse - Alliant Black MZ EmptyNovember 16th 2018, 2:56 pm

I tested 80gr Volume Black MZ today in my Hawken .50cal with a 250gr REAL conical and lubed felt wad. Chronograph set up at 15 feet. This rifle also used a Musket nipple with the Dynamit Nobel musket caps.

Swabbed between each shot:
-------
Next I only had 4 80gr charges left so I shot  them, but did not swab between shots:

I may have to try some 100gr loads next time to see if the velocity jumps up to compete with Goex or Pyrodex RS.

Its cheap powder, so I don't really care about the velocity since I am only practice shooting with it.
Back to top Go down
Landngroove

Landngroove

Male Number of posts : 39
Registration date : 2013-12-05

PostSubject: Re: Sportsmans Warehouse - Alliant Black MZ   Sportsmans Warehouse - Alliant Black MZ EmptyDecember 30th 2018, 5:57 pm

Just ordered 6 pounds from Sportsmans Warehouse. For the performance of this powder, and the price, I could not turn it down.
Back to top Go down
Hylander

Hylander

Male Number of posts : 233
Registration date : 2017-11-07

PostSubject: Re: Sportsmans Warehouse - Alliant Black MZ   Sportsmans Warehouse - Alliant Black MZ EmptyMarch 25th 2019, 12:37 am

I am going to have to pick a bottle up tomorrow and try it out.

Pietta 1858 .44 with 45 Colt Conversion
Back to top Go down
MattRaymond

Number of posts : 121
Registration date : 2015-10-28

PostSubject: Re: Sportsmans Warehouse - Alliant Black MZ   Sportsmans Warehouse - Alliant Black MZ EmptyMarch 25th 2019, 7:30 am

I’ve shot just about everything out of my side locks. I have 2 flintlocks and save my BP for those guns and shoot alternatives in the cap locks. I haven’t shot much Black MZ but it performs well. I’ve never really had any issues with the subs. They are great when BP is not an option. Shoot what works and what is available and have fun.
Back to top Go down
Buck Conner
Site Moderator
Site Moderator
Buck Conner

Male Number of posts : 3395
Registration date : 2015-10-20

PostSubject: Re: Sportsmans Warehouse - Alliant Black MZ   Sportsmans Warehouse - Alliant Black MZ EmptyApril 3rd 2019, 10:01 am

Going to Sportsman's today for more of this powder at $9.96 a pound.

Back to top Go down
Firestick

Firestick

Male Number of posts : 100
Registration date : 2019-02-18

PostSubject: Re: Sportsmans Warehouse - Alliant Black MZ   Sportsmans Warehouse - Alliant Black MZ EmptyApril 8th 2019, 8:33 pm

It is going to be a sad time when they run out of this stuff because I really like it. I have 5 1/2# on hand and will get more next month. The ol .50 cal burns it up faster than the 45 I gave to my son.
Back to top Go down
Hylander

Hylander

Male Number of posts : 233
Registration date : 2017-11-07

PostSubject: Re: Sportsmans Warehouse - Alliant Black MZ   Sportsmans Warehouse - Alliant Black MZ EmptyApril 9th 2019, 1:21 pm

Just tried out the MZ yesterday in the .54 and today in the 50
Lets just say I am going back to Sportsmans today to trade the 
bottle of 777 I bought for three bottles of the MZ.
My only issue with it is it will not flow through my Traditions field flask's  Crying or Very sad
Need a better dispenser, any recommendations?

Pietta 1858 .44 with 45 Colt Conversion
Back to top Go down
Silent Walker

Silent Walker

Number of posts : 17
Registration date : 2019-04-21

PostSubject: Re: Sportsmans Warehouse - Alliant Black MZ   Sportsmans Warehouse - Alliant Black MZ EmptyJuly 8th 2019, 11:11 pm

It's real hard to say no to the price of $9.99 for Alliant Black Mz a pound, compared now to my local guy with the muzzleloader club at $24.95 a pound for Goex FFg/FFFg

I'll be shooting it for the first time here in a few days, with my Lyman GPR first time out.  I'll report back then with the results on my AR500 target.
Back to top Go down
Firestick

Firestick

PostSubject: Re: Sportsmans Warehouse - Alliant Black MZ   Sportsmans Warehouse - Alliant Black MZ EmptyJuly 8th 2019, 11:15 pm

The stuff works for me with no complaints!
Back to top Go down
Silent Walker

Silent Walker

PostSubject: Re: Sportsmans Warehouse - Alliant Black MZ   Sportsmans Warehouse - Alliant Black MZ EmptyJuly 8th 2019, 11:16 pm

Thanks Firestick, that's good to hear.

Lyman Great Plains Rifle 54 cal 1:60
"Rust Never Sleeps"
Back to top Go down
Firestick

Firestick

PostSubject: Re: Sportsmans Warehouse - Alliant Black MZ   Sportsmans Warehouse - Alliant Black MZ EmptyJuly 8th 2019, 11:20 pm

It flows out of my powderhorn just fine. Maybe my hole is bigger than what one may consider "normal". I just know it pours out almost as easy as good old FFFg. If it gets a clump I just bang it with the palm of my hand and no issue.
Back to top Go down
Silent Walker

Silent Walker

PostSubject: Re: Sportsmans Warehouse - Alliant Black MZ   Sportsmans Warehouse - Alliant Black MZ EmptyJuly 12th 2019, 5:13 pm

Shot my Lyman Great Plains Rifle .54 cal today using 90 gr by volume of this wonderful Alliant Black Mz. which my shots were accurate, and cleanup was a snap.

"Rust Never Sleeps"
Back to top Go down
OldMtnMan

OldMtnMan

Male Number of posts : 10331
Registration date : 2010-09-23

PostSubject: Re: Sportsmans Warehouse - Alliant Black MZ   Sportsmans Warehouse - Alliant Black MZ EmptyJuly 12th 2019, 5:29 pm

It's not hard for me to say no but you guys are free to use any powder you want.

I'm addicted to black powder.
Back to top Go down
Firestick

Firestick

PostSubject: Re: Sportsmans Warehouse - Alliant Black MZ   Sportsmans Warehouse - Alliant Black MZ EmptyJuly 12th 2019, 7:58 pm

If BP was available locally i would use it. But since I have to order it plus the over board prices for it and add in shipping and handling it is out of my budget. Believe it or not some of us retired folk are on a low fixed income. Many working folks as well have limited funds available. I choose Black MZ and FUN.
Back to top Go down
Silent Walker

Silent Walker

PostSubject: Re: Sportsmans Warehouse - Alliant Black MZ   Sportsmans Warehouse - Alliant Black MZ EmptyJuly 12th 2019, 10:08 pm

@Firestick wrote:
If BP was available locally i would use it. But since I have to order it plus the over board prices for it and add in shipping and handling it is out of my budget. Believe it or not some of us retired folk are on a low fixed income. Many working folks as well have limited funds available. I choose Black MZ and FUN.

Spot on Firestick

"Rust Never Sleeps"
Back to top Go down
Idaholewis

Idaholewis

Number of posts : 403
Registration date : 2019-01-11

PostSubject: Re: Sportsmans Warehouse - Alliant Black MZ   Sportsmans Warehouse - Alliant Black MZ EmptyJuly 12th 2019, 11:43 pm

I know I’ve said it before, and this isn’t to Brag, i feel bad for you guy’s that can’t get the Real stuff easily. It’s threads like this that really make me think just how Lucky i am, Buffalo Arms Co (BACO) is no more than 30 minutes from me, I can get all of the Blackpowder i want, Anytime i want it, a few Different Brands of it. Swiss, Goex, Goex Olde E, and Schutzen, Those 3 I know for Sure. BACO doesn’t Carry a Substitute powder on the premises.

I am REALLY contemplating staying with Swiss 2F in my new Knight Mountaineer, Why Not? It shoots LIGHTS OUT Good for me, it is Cheaper, and It is EASY for me to get at anytime. BH209 on the other Hand is DIFFICULT to find ANYWHERE near me, In fact i don’t know Anywhere around here that has 1 single Can of it? Our North 40 use to carry it, But they Closed it out a year or more ago, i seen it get down to 19-20 Dollars a Can, And Even at that price it hung around for quite sometime, they had a hard time getting rid of it! I actually bought 1 can of it on that Close out, But I really don’t think I’m gonna bother messing with it? Why work up a Load for it and Not be able to easily get the Stuff?
Back to top Go down
Firestick

Firestick

PostSubject: Re: Sportsmans Warehouse - Alliant Black MZ   Sportsmans Warehouse - Alliant Black MZ EmptyJuly 13th 2019, 1:25 am

I would be shooting some BP if it was available on the local market. It is not so I do the next best thing and send lead down range with Black MZ. Still loads of fun to send a prb to its target out of the old Mountain Rifle no matter what I have to substitute.
Back to top Go down
OldMtnMan

OldMtnMan

Male Number of posts : 10331
Registration date : 2010-09-23

PostSubject: Re: Sportsmans Warehouse - Alliant Black MZ   Sportsmans Warehouse - Alliant Black MZ EmptyJuly 13th 2019, 6:59 am

@Firestick wrote:
I try and survive on a Social Security check as my only income. You don't have to tell me about low income. I'm always broke.

However, I won't compromise with using real BP in a sidelock. It cost me $21lb for BP after shipping and Hazmat fees are added in. About the same as me driving to Salida to buy Pyrocrap after figuring in gas and sales tax. 

If someone is using T7 or BH 209 in an inline which is 95% of muzzleloaders they pay much more.

I'm addicted to black powder.

Last edited by OldMtnMan on July 13th 2019, 7:04 am; edited 1 time in total
Back to top Go down

Sportsmans Warehouse - Alliant Black MZ
Page 1 of 2Go to page : 1, 2  Next

Permissions in this forum:You cannot reply to topics in this forum
Frontier Muzzleloading :: Muzzleloading Topic :: Powder Room-
Jump to: