Frontier Muzzleloading
Welcome to Frontier Muzzleloading!

Please take the time to either Register or Log In to your user name and join us!

Muzzleloading Forum

HomeFAQRegisterLog in

Felt Wad or Veggie Card Under the Ball or Bullet?

Go down 
AuthorMessage
Rick N Bama

Rick N Bama

Male Number of posts : 95
Location : North Alabama smack dab in the heart of Tornado Alley!
Registration date : 2017-11-23

Felt Wad or Veggie Card Under the Ball or Bullet? Empty
PostSubject: Felt Wad or Veggie Card Under the Ball or Bullet?   Felt Wad or Veggie Card Under the Ball or Bullet? Empty2018-08-25, 19:17

I know that Jon uses a wad or card over the powder charge, but what about the rest of you fellows?  I've been using a Felt Wad myself, but last week I ordered a bag of Veggie cards from TOW to try.  I shot a few rounds using them today just plinking off the porch and I think I'm going to like using them, at least under the flat base conicals like I was shooting today.  I'll probably continue to use the Felt Wads under RBs.
Back to top Go down
FrontierGander
Site
Site
FrontierGander

Male Number of posts : 16345
Registration date : 2008-05-19

PostSubject: Re: Felt Wad or Veggie Card Under the Ball or Bullet?   Felt Wad or Veggie Card Under the Ball or Bullet? Empty2018-08-25, 19:29

I do seem to like the veggie wads under a conical. Lately the home punched felt wads have been working really well for me. The veggies may be a better choice for stiffer loads.
Back to top Go down
Rick N Bama

Rick N Bama

PostSubject: Re: Felt Wad or Veggie Card Under the Ball or Bullet?   Felt Wad or Veggie Card Under the Ball or Bullet? Empty2018-08-25, 20:12

@FrontierGander wrote:
The veggies may be a better choice for stiffer loads.
That's the conclusion I came to myself today while using them with  the REALs and Maxi-Balls. I shot them with 65 to 80grs of the Pinnacle.
Back to top Go down
PaulK

PaulK

Number of posts : 52
Registration date : 2016-12-07

PostSubject: Re: Felt Wad or Veggie Card Under the Ball or Bullet?   Felt Wad or Veggie Card Under the Ball or Bullet? Empty2018-08-26, 13:38

@Rick N Bama wrote:
@FrontierGander wrote:
The veggies may be a better choice for stiffer loads.
That's the conclusion I came to myself today while using them with  the REALs and Maxi-Balls. I shot them with 65 to 80grs of the Pinnacle.
Are you guys using wads under prb's in your rifled guns? I know guys use them under prb's in Smoothbores to improve accuracy but so far I haven't found them to improve accuracy in the loads I've worked up. Plus, not using them eliminates one step in the loading process.
Back to top Go down
OldMtnMan

OldMtnMan

Male Number of posts : 10418
Registration date : 2010-09-23

PostSubject: Re: Felt Wad or Veggie Card Under the Ball or Bullet?   Felt Wad or Veggie Card Under the Ball or Bullet? Empty2018-08-26, 13:43

Some guys use a wad under the ball when they're blowing holes in the patches. They shouldn't be needed with the proper patch.

I'm addicted to black powder.
Back to top Go down
Sparkitoff

Number of posts : 222
Registration date : 2018-06-08

PostSubject: Re: Felt Wad or Veggie Card Under the Ball or Bullet?   Felt Wad or Veggie Card Under the Ball or Bullet? Empty2018-08-26, 14:33

I only use a card wad over powder in my BP revolver and felt and card wad's in my smoothbore. I have three rifles for conical shooting, 2 50's and a 54. I've tried different over-powder wads and did not gain any accuracy in my rifles.  My personal experience is that if I am getting low velocity or erratic velocity with a conical it is too loose in the bore. A wad might increase or steady the velocity but it can't make the projectile any tighter. The rifling type also influences how a projectile behaves. The wad can seal up some gaps in grooves to bullet contact but again if the projectile fit properly there wouldn't be any. As for PRB, I find the right patch size. I would rather use two patches of different thickness to create what I need than to introduce a wad to the components. If the patches are tight around the ball and properly lubricated they will do their job without help. Even if you use more than one they are with the ball for the trip down the barrel and will both discard as the ball flies. If a wad turns, bows or looses its edge the gas will still get by it but in an uneven way. When the ball or projectile exits the bore the pressure wave is being retarded by the wad. Once the wad becomes unstable (very quickly and early in flight) the wave will pass it unevenly.  This exerts uneven pressure on the projectile and can effect its flight. Patches will fall away at once at a point where the muzzle pressure has already tapered off.  A conical without a wad is not subjected to any pressure variance from the wave being blocked or altered by an additional object (the wad). With all this said - some people have great luck with wad usage and find a way to get the accuracy and velocity they could not obtain without the wad. Again this is just my experience - in every case I was able to find a solution without a wad. The exception is the revolver and smoothbore. With the revolver I use the card wad solely for preventing a frontal spark, flame or heat wave from passing the ball and igniting the powder in a loaded cylinder. In the smoothbore it keeps shot from becoming severely deformed and of course keeps the powder and shot from combining in the barrel. Even a single ball in my smoothbore is slightly smaller than bore diameter in order for it to load. Without forcing the lead into lands and grooves there is no way to keep the projectile in the smoothbore sealing the bore. So, the wad becomes a necessity for the smoothbore with a roundball the way I use it with no patch. If there was a conical projectile that was a squeeze fit in a smoothbore I would experiment before relying on the wad in that case as the projectile may seal the bore. Others will have other opinions of course but this is my practice and belief.
Back to top Go down
OldMtnMan

OldMtnMan

PostSubject: Re: Felt Wad or Veggie Card Under the Ball or Bullet?   Felt Wad or Veggie Card Under the Ball or Bullet? Empty2018-08-26, 14:39

Interesting. I never heard of using two patches for a PRB. Not a bad idea for fine-tuning for target work. Kind of fiddly for hunting.

Back to top Go down
AndyinEverson

AndyinEverson

Male Number of posts : 76
Registration date : 2017-08-12

PostSubject: Re: Felt Wad or Veggie Card Under the Ball or Bullet?   Felt Wad or Veggie Card Under the Ball or Bullet? Empty2018-08-26, 18:15

For any of my rifles I just use powder , patch and ball...
Some of my smooth bores like a patch and ball and some like powder , shot wad , patch and ball.

Having shot and owned many different muzzleloaders both replica and antique...I can only say that if you want accuracy ....you need to try many different charges , ball sizes , patching sizes and material and yes even wads in your gun to see what works best out of your gun and how you shoot....
Andy

Rick N Bama

PostSubject: Re: Felt Wad or Veggie Card Under the Ball or Bullet?   Felt Wad or Veggie Card Under the Ball or Bullet? Empty2018-08-26, 18:45

Well I think I've  learned a lot from this thread, but it does leave me with another question.  Now I'm no longer a hunter and when I was hunting it was never with a BP Firearm.  Let's suppose that I load my rifle with a PRB and it stays loaded all during our Deer season here in 'Bama which for Firearms starts on November 17 and lasts until February 10, 2019.  Fellows that's almost 3 months!  Now should I load my rifle on Nov 17 with a PRB with a lubed Patch is there a possibility that the lube will contaminate the powder if it stays loaded until Feb 10?  I would think that the Vegetable or even a dry Felt Wad would prevent that. 

I hope that I can soon be able to run my own tests to see if the wad affects accuracy any.  Soon as the weather cools, but it won't be doing that for a while yet Sad
Back to top Go down
Sparkitoff

PostSubject: Re: Felt Wad or Veggie Card Under the Ball or Bullet?   Felt Wad or Veggie Card Under the Ball or Bullet? Empty2018-08-26, 19:51

If you use the dry lube system you can leave it loaded for quite a long time. I am using sevin parts water to one part ballistoil. You let the patch material Dry horizontally and all of the water Evaporates leaving a barely detectable amount of oil. This will not contaminate the powder.
Back to top Go down
Sparkitoff

PostSubject: Re: Felt Wad or Veggie Card Under the Ball or Bullet?   Felt Wad or Veggie Card Under the Ball or Bullet? Empty2018-08-26, 19:51

If you use the dry lube system you can leave it loaded for quite a long time. I am using sevin parts water to one part ballistoil. You let the patch material Dry horizontally and all of the water Evaporates leaving a barely detectable amount of oil. This will not contaminate the powder.
Back to top Go down
AndyinEverson

AndyinEverson

Male Number of posts : 76
Registration date : 2017-08-12

PostSubject: Re: Felt Wad or Veggie Card Under the Ball or Bullet?   Felt Wad or Veggie Card Under the Ball or Bullet? Empty2018-08-26, 20:07

It may all depend on what you use for a lube and where you live and hunt...
For range use I use spit as a lube...hunting deer tallow or bear grease .
( the real stuff , not the product called bear grease )
Where I live and hunt in the Pacific Northwest...deer tallow or bear grease dose not dampen the powder if I leave my gun loaded.
Andy

OldMtnMan

PostSubject: Re: Felt Wad or Veggie Card Under the Ball or Bullet?   Felt Wad or Veggie Card Under the Ball or Bullet? Empty2018-08-27, 04:47

With a PRB I use mink tallow or Jon's patch lube. I shoot it out every night of the hunt. Not worried about the lube on the powder but condensation.

However, our muzzleloader hunts are only 9 days.

Back to top Go down
Rick N Bama

Rick N Bama

PostSubject: Re: Felt Wad or Veggie Card Under the Ball or Bullet?   Felt Wad or Veggie Card Under the Ball or Bullet? Empty2018-08-27, 05:43

@OldMtnMan wrote:

Does that mean that you can't use a ML the rest of the season?
Back to top Go down
OldMtnMan

OldMtnMan

PostSubject: Re: Felt Wad or Veggie Card Under the Ball or Bullet?   Felt Wad or Veggie Card Under the Ball or Bullet? Empty2018-08-27, 05:54

That's the muzzleloader season. We can also use it in rifle seasons but you can't do both for the same species. We also have a bear muzzleloader season but it's the same time and days as the deer and elk muzzleloader season. Most guys will do the bear hunt in the rifle season as it's a month long instead of 9 days.

We don't get to hunt as long or for as many animals as a lot of states. I heard one guy say he can hunt for a dozen deer. We have no muley's left if we could do that. I get to hunt for a buck every other year because I need points for the tag.

Bear and elk are the game we can hunt every year for.

There's a few exceptions like private land hunts and some special tags to control herds.

Back to top Go down
The author of this message was banned from the forum - See the message
oneshot 1

oneshot 1

Number of posts : 619
Registration date : 2012-04-23

PostSubject: Re: Felt Wad or Veggie Card Under the Ball or Bullet?   Felt Wad or Veggie Card Under the Ball or Bullet? Empty2018-08-27, 06:01

@OldMtnMan wrote:
With a PRB I use mink tallow or Jon's patch lube. I shoot it out every night of the hunt. Not worried about the lube on the powder but condensation.

I see your point having a Fresh Load but I never worried about condensation and even here in Missouri long as I don't have sudden temperature change on the rifle.

The only time my rife wouldn't fire was camping waking up to Fog and that was with an Inline. And one time with Inline Shotgun after a rain.

oneshot
Back to top Go down
Rick N Bama

Rick N Bama

PostSubject: Re: Felt Wad or Veggie Card Under the Ball or Bullet?   Felt Wad or Veggie Card Under the Ball or Bullet? Empty2018-08-27, 08:03

@OldMtnMan wrote:
That's the muzzleloader season. We can also use it in rifle seasons but you can't do both for the same species. We also have a bear muzzleloader season but it's the same time and days as the deer and elk muzzleloader season. Most guys will do the bear hunt in the rifle season as it's a month long instead of 9 days.

We don't get to hunt as long or for as many animals as a lot of states. I heard one guy say he can hunt for a dozen deer. We have no muley's left if we could do that. I get to hunt for a buck every other year because I need points for the tag.

Bear and elk are the game we can hunt every year for.

There's a few exceptions like private land hunts and some special tags to control herds.
With Bow Season opening on Oct 15 and Gun Season closing on Feb 10 we can take a lot of Deer!  At one time the count was something like 170 or so, but of course there's no feasible way that would ever happen!  We don't have Bear or Elk although more & more Bear are being seen closer every year.  There have been several spotted this summer in the county to my north roaming through back yards.  I hope they don't come any closer to us!
Back to top Go down
OldMtnMan

OldMtnMan

PostSubject: Re: Felt Wad or Veggie Card Under the Ball or Bullet?   Felt Wad or Veggie Card Under the Ball or Bullet? Empty2018-08-27, 09:02

@oneshot 1 wrote:
@OldMtnMan wrote:

I see your point having a Fresh Load but I never worried about condensation and even here in Missouri long as I don't have sudden temperature change on the rifle.

The only time my rife wouldn't fire was camping waking up to Fog and that was with an Inline. And one time with Inline Shotgun after a rain.

oneshot

I live in an apartment, so I have to take the gun inside every night. It's cold in the morning, so the temp change is enough for condensation to form on the bore.

A PRB load is cheap. Shooting it out at night is no big deal. I'd rather be safe than sorry during a hunt.

No concern how others do it. We all have our own way.

Back to top Go down
FrontierGander
Site
Site
FrontierGander

PostSubject: Re: Felt Wad or Veggie Card Under the Ball or Bullet?   Felt Wad or Veggie Card Under the Ball or Bullet? Empty2018-08-27, 10:43

never had an issue with condensation while hunting. I normally bring them back into the camper at the end of each evening hunt as well. This year I most likely keep them in the truck to free up some space. Hate having to haul everything back in the camper.

Back to top Go down
OldMtnMan

OldMtnMan

PostSubject: Re: Felt Wad or Veggie Card Under the Ball or Bullet?   Felt Wad or Veggie Card Under the Ball or Bullet? Empty2018-08-27, 11:05

@FrontierGander wrote:
never had an issue with condensation while hunting. I normally bring them back into the camper at the end of each evening hunt as well. This year I most likely keep them in the truck to free up some space. Hate having to haul everything back in the camper.

That's because you hunt in the desert.  clown

Back to top Go down
FrontierGander
Site
Site
FrontierGander

PostSubject: Re: Felt Wad or Veggie Card Under the Ball or Bullet?   Felt Wad or Veggie Card Under the Ball or Bullet? Empty2018-08-27, 11:16

scratch
Felt Wad or Veggie Card Under the Ball or Bullet? P1040810
Back to top Go down
OldMtnMan

OldMtnMan

PostSubject: Re: Felt Wad or Veggie Card Under the Ball or Bullet?   Felt Wad or Veggie Card Under the Ball or Bullet? Empty2018-08-27, 11:25

Nice desert.

Back to top Go down
FrontierGander
Site
Site
FrontierGander

PostSubject: Re: Felt Wad or Veggie Card Under the Ball or Bullet?   Felt Wad or Veggie Card Under the Ball or Bullet? Empty2018-08-27, 11:33

I've hunted your area so I know who hunts in a desert lol! Anything on the right side on the street is treeless rock land and you should be able to agree.
Back to top Go down
OldMtnMan

OldMtnMan

PostSubject: Re: Felt Wad or Veggie Card Under the Ball or Bullet?   Felt Wad or Veggie Card Under the Ball or Bullet? Empty2018-08-27, 11:45

Yes, it's called high desert. That's where the town is. Nobody hunts that. We're all in the mountains 15 min away.

Just talked to Lyman. No new GPR until the end of Oct.  Crying or Very sad

Would love to do a custom Hawken, but too much money.

Back to top Go down
Buck Conner
Site Moderator
Site Moderator
Buck Conner

Male Number of posts : 3490
Registration date : 2015-10-20

PostSubject: Re: Felt Wad or Veggie Card Under the Ball or Bullet?   Felt Wad or Veggie Card Under the Ball or Bullet? Empty2018-09-01, 18:56

Jon loan Pete a rifle so he can hunt ......   :rtup

Back to top Go down
Hanshi

Hanshi

Male Number of posts : 351
Registration date : 2015-01-21

PostSubject: Re: Felt Wad or Veggie Card Under the Ball or Bullet?   Felt Wad or Veggie Card Under the Ball or Bullet? Empty2018-09-03, 14:03

I use Hoppies BP lube at the range and sometimes in the bush.  Mostly I use TOW mink oil in the bush.  With mink oil the rifle can stay loaded for months or even longer.  Hoppies is a liquid, thick, but still a liquid.  I often use a wad of tissue under the prb at the range and a felt wad or similar when hunting.  I have never experienced powder contamination but much of the time it's just lubed prb on top of the powder.  Yep, it does depend on the lube and the amount of lube but powder contamination virtually does not exist.
Back to top Go down
http://www.martialartsusa.com
Mofish

Number of posts : 88
Registration date : 2018-07-25

PostSubject: Re: Felt Wad or Veggie Card Under the Ball or Bullet?   Felt Wad or Veggie Card Under the Ball or Bullet? Empty2018-09-05, 08:02

I have found that I like to put something between the patch and powder when hunting as it sometimes has to stay loaded for days at a time. I've found a good sized pinch of wasp's nest works just fine for me. I think this was sort of a standard in years past, but it still works great for me.
Back to top Go down
Hanshi

Hanshi

Male Number of posts : 351
Registration date : 2015-01-21

PostSubject: Re: Felt Wad or Veggie Card Under the Ball or Bullet?   Felt Wad or Veggie Card Under the Ball or Bullet? Empty2018-09-05, 13:23

@Mofish wrote:
I have found that I like to put something between the patch and powder when hunting as it sometimes has to stay loaded for days at a time. I've found a good sized pinch of wasp's nest works just fine for me. I think this was sort of a standard in years past, but it still works great for me.

I hear ya', Mofish.  I've used hornet & wasp nest quite a bit.  Years ago testing just one rifle I found a wad consistently resulted in a velocity increase.  It wasn't much but it was there.  In my day to day shooting I can't swear it makes an accuracy difference, though.  I'm just not that good a shoot any longer.
Back to top Go down
http://www.martialartsusa.com
OldMtnMan

OldMtnMan

PostSubject: Re: Felt Wad or Veggie Card Under the Ball or Bullet?   Felt Wad or Veggie Card Under the Ball or Bullet? Empty2018-09-05, 14:00

I use mink oil on the patch for hunting. To test it I put some Goex on the patch and let it set all day. None of the powder dissolved.

I don't worry about leaving it loaded, but I shoot it out every night anyway because of moisture. (condensation)

Back to top Go down
Buck Conner
Site Moderator
Site Moderator
Buck Conner

PostSubject: Re: Felt Wad or Veggie Card Under the Ball or Bullet?   Felt Wad or Veggie Card Under the Ball or Bullet? Empty2018-09-05, 14:17

That's a good point Pete, many don't have the moisture (condensation) issues we experience in these states in the mid-west. I brought many pieces of antiques wares (furniture) from PA and OH when moving here in the mid 1960's. It only took a few months and the joints started to loosen (drying out in summer, then becoming tight in winter (moisture). This condition with muzzleloaders can screw with point of aim to ignition issues that most don't even think about.

Back to top Go down
OldMtnMan

OldMtnMan

PostSubject: Re: Felt Wad or Veggie Card Under the Ball or Bullet?   Felt Wad or Veggie Card Under the Ball or Bullet? Empty2018-09-05, 14:23

I have another reason too Buck. If I brought home a loaded in chamber gun and then died. Nobody would know it's loaded. That could end up killing somebody.

Back to top Go down
Buck Conner
Site Moderator
Site Moderator
Buck Conner

PostSubject: Re: Felt Wad or Veggie Card Under the Ball or Bullet?   Felt Wad or Veggie Card Under the Ball or Bullet? Empty2018-09-05, 14:30

That would teach the rest from touching your stuff, bury it with him.....

Back to top Go down
OldMtnMan

OldMtnMan

PostSubject: Re: Felt Wad or Veggie Card Under the Ball or Bullet?   Felt Wad or Veggie Card Under the Ball or Bullet? Empty2018-09-05, 14:36

Nobody would want to dig the grave for me. They'd just throw me off a cliff.

Back to top Go down
Buck Conner
Site Moderator
Site Moderator
Buck Conner

PostSubject: Re: Felt Wad or Veggie Card Under the Ball or Bullet?   Felt Wad or Veggie Card Under the Ball or Bullet? Empty2018-09-05, 14:46

I guess the trash, we know recycling wouldn't work ...   lol!

Back to top Go down

Felt Wad or Veggie Card Under the Ball or Bullet?
Page 1 of 1

Permissions in this forum:You cannot reply to topics in this forum
Frontier Muzzleloading :: Muzzleloading Topic :: Traditional Muzzleloading-
Jump to: