Frontier Muzzleloading
Welcome to Frontier Muzzleloading!

Please take the time to either Register or Log In to your user name and join us!

Muzzleloading Forum

HomeFAQRegisterLog in

New powder horns

Go down 
AuthorMessage
OldMtnMan

OldMtnMan

Male Number of posts : 10418
Registration date : 2010-09-23

New powder horns - Page 2 Empty
PostSubject: Re: New powder horns   New powder horns - Page 2 Empty2018-09-05, 10:58

@Buck Conner wrote:
@OldMtnMan wrote:
We're talking about fur trade mountain men Buck. Crude, simple, and not convenient. I'm sure they used the main powder horn for the pan.

Stoney was wondering how old the spring loader value has been used Pete. Just answering his question.
When it was used and was it available might be quite different. I think the MM tried to keep things simple so they would break in the mountains miles from civilization. I believe that's why they stayed with flintlocks.

I'm addicted to black powder.
Back to top Go down
Buck Conner
Site Moderator
Site Moderator
Buck Conner

Male Number of posts : 3488
Registration date : 2015-10-20

PostSubject: Re: New powder horns   New powder horns - Page 2 Empty2018-09-05, 10:59

What about some of these, its a start for researching bud:

https://buenavistasportsmansclub.org/

https://www.google.com/search?lei=pQqQW9LIMcSItQXhrrq4Dw&q=colorado%20west%20gun%20club&ved=0ahUKEwih7K20qqTdAhUCPq0KHUbpCjUQsKwBCAYoBA&biw=1146&bih=630

http://wheretoshootcolorado.com/

Back to top Go down
Buck Conner
Site Moderator
Site Moderator
Buck Conner

PostSubject: Re: New powder horns   New powder horns - Page 2 Empty2018-09-05, 11:06

@OldMtnMan wrote:
@Buck Conner wrote:
@OldMtnMan wrote:
We're talking about fur trade mountain men Buck. Crude, simple, and not convenient. I'm sure they used the main powder horn for the pan.

Stoney was wondering how old the spring loader value has been used Pete. Just answering his question.
When it was used and was it available might be quite different. I think the MM tried to keep things simple so they would break in the mountains miles from civilization. I believe that's why they stayed with flintlocks.

Most don't realize that many of the weapons that came to the fur trade were military muskets (early on), guns used when enlisted in the War of 1812 and later. For pay many took their weapons and headed west, flints were preferred because of flint rock was available for the looking (don't find percussion caps laying around). Most of the equipage used was what they had when leaving for this new adventure (the fur trade and riches they thought).

I need to get back to putting up information under the topic "Primitive Lifestyle" that Jonathan has listed. Got side tracked with yard work, doing a little shooting and health issues. Have same deal as Jonathan, need to have an MRI with the dye to see if I have an artery being pinched off and limiting blood flow to the brain? Causing signs of blacking out, dizziness, weakness, troubling walking. Carp it's always something.

Back to top Go down
OldMtnMan

OldMtnMan

PostSubject: Re: New powder horns   New powder horns - Page 2 Empty2018-09-05, 11:19

Exactly. My persona is I was born and raised in Mass. When I decided to go west after a divorce. I passed through PA and bought an Isaac Haines rifle in .50 for the bigger game out west. I was using a smooth bore in Mass and didn't want to use it out west.

That's my story for ending up in Colorado with an Isaac Haines. It's not too far off my real life and still works in 1820.

I'm not looking for a gun club Buck. I know what's around me. I'm looking for a club that has black powder events. The closest one is the one I mentioned. Nobody shoots traditional muzzleloaders around here. There's a guy who lives in Salida that's a member of the AMm, but like I said. he was one of the ones who ignored my emails.

Back to top Go down
Buck Conner
Site Moderator
Site Moderator
Buck Conner

PostSubject: Re: New powder horns   New powder horns - Page 2 Empty2018-09-05, 14:08

For those who don't know the name Isaac Haines, he was one of the most educated and sophisticated gun builders of his time. His surviving work is a testament to the skills and artistic eye that this prominent gun maker used in the production of such beautiful early 1770’s American longrifles.

New powder horns - Page 2 Isaac-haines-parts-list-fully-shaped_1
Typical Isaac Haines Rifle

That's a good start for your persona Pete. Many of the folks I have talked to don't know who or what they want to me. Yours is like mind we both know where our roots started and you move forward with that in mind. Excellent.  :tup2 

Coming from Mass you will pickup misc. items from the different areas you travel as you work your way in into the Arkansas River Valley and the area of what would become Buena Vista Colorado first settled in 1864 by settlers drawn to the area by the plentiful water which made the land suitable for agriculture. Alternate pronunciations include "Bwenna Veesta" (Spanish pronunciation) and simply "Biewnie. You would be one of the first white men in the area, probably more Mexicans and Indians than any other race at the time. An original fur trapper trying to make a living at his trade.

Back to top Go down
OldMtnMan

OldMtnMan

PostSubject: Re: New powder horns   New powder horns - Page 2 Empty2018-09-05, 14:18

Actually, that's not how you pronounce it. That's the Spanish way to say it but this town was named by a white woman and she was fussy on how to pronounce it. If you said it the way you think everybody would know you're a tourist.

I'll let you think about how to say it.  pirat

Back to top Go down
Buck Conner
Site Moderator
Site Moderator
Buck Conner

PostSubject: Re: New powder horns   New powder horns - Page 2 Empty2018-09-05, 14:44

The spelling came from Webster.

Back to top Go down
OldMtnMan

OldMtnMan

PostSubject: Re: New powder horns   New powder horns - Page 2 Empty2018-09-05, 14:47

I didn't mention spelling. I'm talking about how to pronounce it.

Back to top Go down
OldMtnMan

OldMtnMan

PostSubject: Re: New powder horns   New powder horns - Page 2 Empty2018-09-05, 14:55

Watch the video.

https://es-la.facebook.com/nowthisiscolorado/videos/how-do-you-say-buena-vista/10156182620018146/

Back to top Go down
stoney1
Site Moderator
Site Moderator
stoney1

Male Number of posts : 356
Registration date : 2017-05-05

PostSubject: Re: New powder horns   New powder horns - Page 2 Empty2018-09-05, 15:02

@OldMtnMan wrote:
Watch the video.

https://es-la.facebook.com/nowthisiscolorado/videos/how-do-you-say-buena-vista/10156182620018146/
I know my Spanish is a little rusty these days, but no matter how you pronounce it. It means Beautiful View. Just  2c
Stoney

OldMtnMan

PostSubject: Re: New powder horns   New powder horns - Page 2 Empty2018-09-05, 15:10

Yes, it has that. I can see it out my window right now.

New powder horns - Page 2 Buena-vista

New powder horns - Page 2 River+Runners+Riverside+Camping+Resort

Back to top Go down
stoney1
Site Moderator
Site Moderator
stoney1

PostSubject: Re: New powder horns   New powder horns - Page 2 Empty2018-09-05, 15:57

@OldMtnMan wrote:
Yes, it has that. I can see it out my window right now.

New powder horns - Page 2 Buena-vista

New powder horns - Page 2 River+Runners+Riverside+Camping+Resort
WOW... Pete. Gorgeous!!!! Nothing like around here. I'm in the mountains of N.E. Pa. and this is nice, but that's fantastic. No wonder they call it God's Country!!
Stoney

Site Moderator
Site Moderator
Buck Conner

PostSubject: Re: New powder horns   New powder horns - Page 2 Empty2018-09-05, 16:01

New powder horns - Page 2 Download

Here's Pete's bathroom Stoney.

Back to top Go down
OldMtnMan

OldMtnMan

PostSubject: Re: New powder horns   New powder horns - Page 2 Empty2018-09-05, 16:01

Thanks, bud. It is a nice place to live.

Back to top Go down
OldMtnMan

OldMtnMan

PostSubject: Re: New powder horns   New powder horns - Page 2 Empty2018-09-05, 16:02

Those pesky bears Buck.

Back to top Go down
Buck Conner
Site Moderator
Site Moderator
Buck Conner

PostSubject: Re: New powder horns   New powder horns - Page 2 Empty2018-09-05, 16:05

You must have good bait to get them that close Pete.....  headslap

Back to top Go down
OldMtnMan

OldMtnMan

PostSubject: Re: New powder horns   New powder horns - Page 2 Empty2018-09-05, 16:06

They like my stink.  Very Happy

Back to top Go down
Buck Conner
Site Moderator
Site Moderator
Buck Conner

PostSubject: Re: New powder horns   New powder horns - Page 2 Empty2018-09-05, 16:06

@OldMtnMan wrote:
They like my stink.  Very Happy

apparently ...  lol!

Back to top Go down
stoney1
Site Moderator
Site Moderator
stoney1

PostSubject: Re: New powder horns   New powder horns - Page 2 Empty2018-09-05, 16:24

@Buck Conner wrote:

New powder horns - Page 2 Download

Here's Pete's bathroom Stoney.
Don't knock the out house Buck. I spent many a cold Winter's day and hot summer taking myself to ours when I was a kid. My biggest worry was Copperheads in the outhouse! I never had indoor plumbing until I was 10. Pot Belly stove in the kitchen, parlor stove in the living room. Mom washed dishes and we took bathes with water from the hand cranked well. I thought we were doing pretty well? Then I found Electricity... DAMN I'm OLD... We had party line phones until I was 12. One long and 2 short, that was our ring, and you could listen in on the other person on the line. Twisted Evil  I heard a lot of crazy crap when I was a kid with that party line!  Embarassed
 Did my knife and sheath photos make it to the web? I posted them to the Mountain Man craft page???? I think?? Thanks.

Stoney

Site Moderator
Site Moderator
stoney1

PostSubject: Re: New powder horns   New powder horns - Page 2 Empty2018-09-07, 18:40

Hi guys (gals)
 That little Black priming horn with the valve is sold. It went to a good friend of mine in Co.
 I'm making an identical twin, but it won't have the valve. Just in case anyone was interested?
Stoney

New powder horns
Page 1 of 1

Permissions in this forum:You cannot reply to topics in this forum
Frontier Muzzleloading :: Muzzleloading Topic :: Muzzleloading Crafts-
Jump to: