Frontier Muzzleloading
Welcome to Frontier Muzzleloading!

Please take the time to either Register or Log In to your user name and join us!

Muzzleloading Forum

HomeFAQRegisterLog in

Results of my pattern method.

Go down 
AuthorMessage
stoney1
Site Moderator
Site Moderator
stoney1

Male Number of posts : 329
Registration date : 2017-05-05

Results of my pattern method. Empty
PostSubject: Results of my pattern method.   Results of my pattern method. EmptySeptember 5th 2018, 2:04 pm

Howdy folks
 Here's some pics of the results of my method of pattern making for powder horn caps. Take a look and let me know what you think? https://postimg.cc/gallery/2stkvqe2u/
  I posted a message stating that if anyone wanted to know how to make patterns for powder horns, I'd tell them how I do it, I got no takers. Anyway... here ya go. Maybe my method isn't as good as other peoples, but it looks OK to me? This is just for the inside plug. The outer cap is another story. The whole thing revolves around filing and sanding. Once you get the inner plug fit the outer cap is just a matter of gluing on the wood and cutting/sanding/filing to the outer horn surface, then tacking in the whole assembly and sealing the cap/plug with a mixture of bee's wax and paraffin. I also make threaded filler plugs that allow you to unscrew the plug and fill the horn. I hope someone find this useful?
God bless:
Stoney

Site Moderator
Site Moderator
Buck Conner

Male Number of posts : 3355
Registration date : 2015-10-20

PostSubject: Re: Results of my pattern method.   Results of my pattern method. EmptyOctober 10th 2018, 4:34 pm

Stoney, the edge of the horn to plug is nice and thin which looks really good. Should turn out to be a good looking horn. Thanks for sharing.  :tup2

Back to top Go down
stoney1
Site Moderator
Site Moderator
stoney1

PostSubject: Re: Results of my pattern method.   Results of my pattern method. EmptyOctober 10th 2018, 4:43 pm

@Buck Conner wrote:
Stoney, the edge of the horn to plug is nice and thin which looks really good. Should turn out to be a good looking horn. Thanks for sharing. 
Thanks Buck
 Yup... she came out great! I'll send pics. once it's complete. Making the pattern is easy, but no one wanted to know how to do it? It's the basis for a perfect fit. I guess everyone has their own method? Wink
Stoney

Site
Site
FrontierGander

Male Number of posts : 16225
Registration date : 2008-05-19

PostSubject: Re: Results of my pattern method.   Results of my pattern method. EmptyOctober 10th 2018, 5:20 pm

Looks perfect buddy! I have a horn that needs a base plug and spout plug. Any interest in doing this for me? I'll gladly cover the charges.
Back to top Go down
https://www.frontiermuzzleloading.com
stoney1
Site Moderator
Site Moderator
stoney1

PostSubject: Re: Results of my pattern method.   Results of my pattern method. EmptyOctober 10th 2018, 8:18 pm

@FrontierGander wrote:
Looks perfect buddy! I have a horn that needs a base plug and spout plug. Any interest in doing this for me? I'll gladly cover the charges.
Jon
 I'm a little unorthodox in my approach, but I'll take on the job. I'll PM you with the specifics. That's the best I can tell you.
Stoney

Results of my pattern method.
Page 1 of 1

Permissions in this forum:You cannot reply to topics in this forum
Frontier Muzzleloading :: Muzzleloading Topic :: Muzzleloading Crafts-
Jump to: