Frontier Muzzleloading
Welcome to Frontier Muzzleloading!

Please take the time to either Register or Log In to your user name and join us!

Muzzleloading Forum

HomeFAQRegisterLog in

In mine it must be a half inch or so....

Go down 
AuthorMessage
PaperPunch1

Number of posts : 10
Registration date : 2018-08-19

In mine it must be a half inch or so.... Empty
PostSubject: In mine it must be a half inch or so....   In mine it must be a half inch or so.... EmptySeptember 9th 2018, 11:21 am

from the nipple to the powder charge in my PA Hunter percussion.
That's a hell of a ways around the corner, compared with my flinter with a new style SS flash hole liner.
That said, I think the percussion is a lot more "fiddly" to keep it firing reliably than the flinter.
I believe its time to put down the cap gun for my serious hunting and do my pre season shooting exclusively with that.
Then I won't need as many accoutrements for clearing out that long 90 degree channel, nipple wrench, pipe cleaners, etc. only my vent pick, powder, patch, ball, and flint maintenance tools.
Back to top Go down
Rifleman1776

Number of posts : 23
Registration date : 2018-07-04

PostSubject: Re: In mine it must be a half inch or so....   In mine it must be a half inch or so.... EmptySeptember 10th 2018, 11:21 am

I really don't see an issue here. For cleaning just put the breech end of the barrel into a small bucket of soapy water then using the ramrod with a patch pump up and down. That will flush your patent breech very well. Flush with clear water, dry, oil and forget until next shooting session.
Back to top Go down
Sparkitoff

Number of posts : 203
Registration date : 2018-06-08

PostSubject: Re: In mine it must be a half inch or so....   In mine it must be a half inch or so.... EmptySeptember 11th 2018, 8:01 am

Once I get to know my percussion rifles and shotguns I can keep them as reliable as my flintlocks. For rifles, my goal is 2 perfect shots with the ability to fire 3.  By being choosy and stealthy I have been able to put the first shot to good use exclusively. So far everything has succumbed to the first shot, but I know I can reload and get another if necessary - and another. In practice in a range setting the things that have kept my flintlock from carrying out my 2 perfect shots and maybe a 3rd has been my fault, but is still inherent to the flintlock. In one recent succession of trying 3-shots on a deer target I did not wipe the flint or frizzen on the 3rd shot and I got some spark but no ignition. When I quickly realized that I wiped them, closed the frizzen, pulled the cock back and it went boom.  That step would not have existed with the percussion cousin. I have also experienced moisture and goop in the pan after 1 or 2 shots that absolutely has to be wiped out before re-priming the pan. That is another step that slows down the next shot and could be overlooked in the heat of the moment. I agree with most of what you said. In my experiences I can be assured of first shot reliability in a hunting situation with either and then the percussion gun gets a nipple pick, swab and reload, nipple pick again cap and ready. To me, there is more chance of goofing up the second or third shot on the flintlock. Again I do everything I can so I don't need a follow-up shot and with either system my reload is very methodical. You seem definitive in your concept so I will say that the psychological advantage is worth something!
Back to top Go down

In mine it must be a half inch or so....
Page 1 of 1

Permissions in this forum:You cannot reply to topics in this forum
Frontier Muzzleloading :: Muzzleloading Topic :: Traditional Muzzleloading-
Jump to: