Frontier Muzzleloading
Welcome to Frontier Muzzleloading!

Please take the time to either Register or Log In to your user name and join us!

MUZZLELOADING FORUM

HomeGalleryFAQSearchRegisterLog in

Ads

Share | 

Pedersoli flintlock range trip

Go down 
AuthorMessage
markthenewf

Male Number of posts : 15
Registration date : 2018-09-08

PostSubject: Pedersoli flintlock range trip   September 9th 2018, 5:39 pm

Overcast day and under 85 degrees here in SE Texas which means relatively comfortable shooting!

This is perhaps my 4th range trip with the gun, shooting maybe 25 each session.† I figure the bore should be decently 'broken in' at this point, so I've started the sight-in process.† Windage is ok (could be a bit to the right), but elevation was way off.† I calculated the amount to take off the sight and thought I would get it pretty close to zero at 50.† Turns out I'm about 2.5" low.† That's heaps better than the 14" I was originally!

That being said, the rifle is grouping ok for me.† I'm a 1.5 to 2 MOA shooter with any irons on any rifle that I own so this seems to be about right for me at this early stage as I'm sure I'll get better with a bit more practice.† I do know that 75gr of GoEx 2F groups the best so far (I've tried 5 different charges), but I've not tried anything but the 0.010" patch.† Perhaps I should look into 15 and 20 patches.

Anyways, it was a decent range day, things ran well with no misfires or fussing.† I need to pull a few more thousands off the front blade and I should be good.† I'm interested to see how this thing will run at 100 yards.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Sparkitoff

Number of posts : 57
Registration date : 2018-06-08

PostSubject: Re: Pedersoli flintlock range trip   September 9th 2018, 9:10 pm

Very nice start and decent results.† You seem to be on the right track and know where you're going. I don't know your rifle at all but I've not seen many that are best with a .10 patch. More often a little tighter fit will be a benefit, only you know for sure. If you ever want to come down to the Gulf Coast I am here all winter. Will be shooting flintlock and hunting with it too.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
markthenewf

PostSubject: Re: Pedersoli flintlock range trip   September 10th 2018, 8:50 pm

Yeah, the rifle kit I originally got came with a pack of .1 patches.† I've gone ahead and ordered some 15, 18, and 20 patches.† It can't hurt to try.

What area you holed up in?† I rarely go down to the coast.† I used to work marine heavy lift/move operations so going anywhere near Galveston gives me the piles!
Back to top Go down
View user profile
RonC
Site Moderator &
Site Moderator &

Male Number of posts : 1048
Registration date : 2013-09-09

PostSubject: Re: Pedersoli flintlock range trip   September 12th 2018, 6:47 am

I like the way you have cafefully notated your shooting patterns and the changes in sighting. Most times, I am too lazy to mark the targets with all the information. The data is left to memory - not a great idea. Rolling Eyes Very Happy
Ron

Outside of a Dog, a Book is Manís Best Friend. Inside of a Dog, Itís Too Dark to Read. Groucho Marx (or possibly someone earlier)
Back to top Go down
View user profile
markthenewf

PostSubject: Re: Pedersoli flintlock range trip   September 14th 2018, 8:54 pm

Yeah, I'm a reloader for several calibers which have several sub-types of ammo/projectiles, so I try to record as much as I can.† As an engineer I'm kinda hooked on annotations and spreadsheets!† Marking up a target and filing a pic of that is heaps easier than keeping them all around.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
forrest-hunter

Male Number of posts : 20
Registration date : 2016-04-18

PostSubject: Re: Pedersoli flintlock range trip   September 15th 2018, 11:48 am

what shooting range?
Back to top Go down
View user profile
markthenewf

PostSubject: Re: Pedersoli flintlock range trip   September 15th 2018, 8:52 pm

@forrest-hunter wrote:
what shooting range?

If you mean by distance, 50 yards.

If you mean by location, my preferred range is a private one about 5 minutes north of Bellville, Texas, which is about 20 minutes west of Houston.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Pedersoli flintlock range trip   

Back to top Go down

Pedersoli flintlock range trip
Page 1 of 1

Permissions in this forum:You cannot reply to topics in this forum
Frontier Muzzleloading :: Muzzleloading Topic :: The Shooting Range-
Jump to: