Frontier Muzzleloading
Welcome to Frontier Muzzleloading!

Please take the time to either Register or Log In to your user name and join us!

Muzzleloading Forum

HomeFAQRegisterLog in

Stuck vent hole liner

Go down 
AuthorMessage
markthenewf

Male Number of posts : 22
Registration date : 2018-09-08

Stuck vent hole liner Empty
PostSubject: Stuck vent hole liner   Stuck vent hole liner EmptySeptember 9th 2018, 10:10 pm

I seem to have a stuck vent hole liner/screw.  I was cleaning out the rifle today and decided that I'd go ahead and pop that sucker out since I had the barrel out of the stock.  It is pretty much stuck in there.

I've got a good set of screwdrivers that I use on my other firearms (don't go cheap with those suckers!) and I'm really just deforming the head slot.  I guess they didn't put any anti-seize on it during manufacture.

Any suggestions on how to get these suckers out?  I do have a stuck screw removal tool, but I was hoping there might be a less destructive method.
Back to top Go down
Mike in Oz

Mike in Oz

Male Number of posts : 197
Registration date : 2017-09-22

PostSubject: Re: Stuck vent hole liner   Stuck vent hole liner EmptySeptember 10th 2018, 12:34 am

I use an anti seizing penetrating oil from bunnings and then put graphite paste onto the threads to assist with later removal.

Good luck mate.
Back to top Go down
OldMtnMan

OldMtnMan

Male Number of posts : 10342
Registration date : 2010-09-23

PostSubject: Re: Stuck vent hole liner   Stuck vent hole liner EmptySeptember 10th 2018, 7:22 am

Try some heat.

I'm addicted to black powder.
Back to top Go down
Rifleman1776

Number of posts : 23
Registration date : 2018-07-04

PostSubject: Re: Stuck vent hole liner   Stuck vent hole liner EmptySeptember 10th 2018, 11:17 am

Unless there is a compelling issue, you really have no reason to remove the vent liner. That should be changed, maybe, once or twice in the life of the rifle. If you bugger it up a new one will be needed.
Back to top Go down
Mike in Oz

Mike in Oz

PostSubject: Re: Stuck vent hole liner   Stuck vent hole liner EmptySeptember 10th 2018, 6:42 pm

@Rifleman1776 wrote:
Unless there is a compelling issue, you really have no reason to remove the vent liner. That should be changed, maybe, once or twice in the life of the rifle. If you bugger it up a new one will be needed.

I've heard that but I take mine out after every shoot to clean my rifle. Its a pedersoli and is designed to be removed and I also have a spare liner in my spares tin "just in case".

IMHO it makes cleaning the rifle so much easier.
Back to top Go down
markthenewf

PostSubject: Re: Stuck vent hole liner   Stuck vent hole liner EmptySeptember 10th 2018, 8:55 pm

Yes, there's reasons to take it out for cleaning the pedersoli.  Most vids I've watched with people cleaning them do indeed pop the liner out.

I think I'll finish my current sighting-in processes first and then try putting some Kroil in/around it for a few days and see if that allows me to remove it.  I did order two spares a while ago, so I'm ok if I do have to replace it.
Back to top Go down
OldMtnMan

OldMtnMan

Male Number of posts : 10342
Registration date : 2010-09-23

PostSubject: Re: Stuck vent hole liner   Stuck vent hole liner EmptySeptember 11th 2018, 6:44 am

The best vent liner made is the Jim Chambers White Lightning. Once it's installed you can't remove it. It's left in until it's worn out and then an easy-out is used to get it out and replaced.

I'm addicted to black powder.
Back to top Go down
Sparkitoff

Number of posts : 203
Registration date : 2018-06-08

PostSubject: Re: Stuck vent hole liner   Stuck vent hole liner EmptySeptember 11th 2018, 8:09 am

I think the Pedersoli (and other factory produced) flintlocks are made with a threaded vent liner to speed and ease the manufacturing process. The spot is marked via CNC or laser and drilled and tapped (maybe mechanically or maybe automatically). Then a vent liner is plucked from a basket full and screwed in by someone in two seconds. To me, that doesn't mean it's meant to come out for cleaning. The threads are few and the more you put them in and out the more wear they will get. Eventually they may be too loose to be safe. If you "pump" your barrel to clean it the solvent is moving rapidly in and out of the vent hole. That will clean the back and the channel pretty good. If you do not have a patent breach you may be cleaning the inside a bit when you swab the barrel. Blasting compressed air through the hole will clean it some too. Some are not removable and need to be replaced if the hole erodes to where there is excess pressure loss. On the removable type I think maybe one a year at most is ok. Definitely put some choke tube anti seize or similar on the threads if you do remove it.
Back to top Go down
Mike in Oz

Mike in Oz

PostSubject: Re: Stuck vent hole liner   Stuck vent hole liner EmptySeptember 11th 2018, 8:25 am

I’ve been taking the vent liner out of my Pedersoli at least once a week for the last year with no apparent ill effects, but I do have a spare just in case. 😉
Back to top Go down
drissel

Number of posts : 3
Registration date : 2014-01-09

PostSubject: Re: Stuck vent hole liner   Stuck vent hole liner EmptySeptember 21st 2018, 4:39 pm

I just ordered some vent screws and in the process learned that there are at least 3 sizes that look alike, an 8x1 thread, an 8x1.25 and an 5/16 x24 then there is barrilium, steel, and possibly stainless steel.  I ordered 2 years ago and went to replace it and they were wrong size, finally found the right size and ordered 4, I don't plan on burning them out, but probably messing the head up when I remove
 them.
Back to top Go down
markthenewf

PostSubject: Re: Stuck vent hole liner   Stuck vent hole liner EmptyOctober 9th 2018, 6:21 pm

@OldMtnMan wrote:
The best vent liner made is the Jim Chambers White Lightning. Once it's installed you can't remove it. It's left in until it's worn out and then an easy-out is used to get it out and replaced.

You mean the drill-in extractor?  Yeah, I've got one of those.  Perhaps I'll get it out with that, but I think I'll just leave in in for the interim.  Everything is working, so no need to fuddle with it!
Back to top Go down
BigAl52
Site Moderator
Site Moderator
BigAl52

Male Number of posts : 601
Registration date : 2016-02-03

PostSubject: Re: Stuck vent hole liner   Stuck vent hole liner EmptyOctober 10th 2018, 7:43 pm

I had one that was stuck. I stick a toothpick in the hole and filled it with kroil out it came 24 hours later.

John Bergmann 50 cal Lancaster
John Bergmann 54 cal Hawken
GRRW 50 cal
GRRW 58 cal
Lyman GPR 54 cal flintlock L&R lock davis deerslayer trigger
Lyman Trade Rifle 54 cal
CVA Hawken 58 cal by Jonathan
Hawken Squirrel Rifle 40 cal by John Bergman
Pedersoli Penn Rifle 50 cal flintlock
Back to top Go down
FrontierGander
Site
Site
FrontierGander

Male Number of posts : 16283
Registration date : 2008-05-19

PostSubject: Re: Stuck vent hole liner   Stuck vent hole liner EmptyOctober 10th 2018, 8:10 pm

use plumbers tape on the vent liner threads, it helps keep them free.
Back to top Go down

Stuck vent hole liner
Page 1 of 1

Permissions in this forum:You cannot reply to topics in this forum
Frontier Muzzleloading :: Muzzleloading Topic :: Traditional Muzzleloading-
Jump to: