Frontier Muzzleloading
Welcome to Frontier Muzzleloading!

Please take the time to either Register or Log In to your user name and join us!

Muzzleloading Forum

HomeFAQRegisterLog in

Greased Felt

Go down 
AuthorMessage
heelerau

heelerau

Male Number of posts : 171
Registration date : 2018-02-08

Greased Felt  Empty
PostSubject: Greased Felt    Greased Felt  EmptySeptember 23rd 2018, 11:59 am

Gentlemen I use a greased felt wad over powder in my English .72 slow twist patched ball rifle. That is because the bore is not mirror bright and has the odd pit. It seems to work fine, and the rifle keeps loading easily, I use a .30 denim patch lubed with ballistol and water. 
       I believe you can use greased felt wads in patch ball rifles .50 and over.  Has anyone here on this forum done this and seen how the rifle loaded thus performs on a paper target at 50 yards?  
       I have a mates Baker rifle with a bore that is not the greatest that is .62 and will need to use a greased wad in this to reduce fouling.
       If none of you have tried this I will anyway,  and post the results.

Male Number of posts : 47
Registration date : 2015-01-02

Greased Felt  Empty
PostSubject: Re: Greased Felt    Greased Felt  EmptySeptember 23rd 2018, 12:58 pm

I have a 50 caliber barrel that is pitted down near the breech from powder being left in the bore for an extended period.  The only way I can get decent groups with this barrel is to use a lubed felt bore button over the powder, then the patch and ball.  Groups about 1.5" at 50 yards, but without the felt button groups are in the 3-4" range at 50 yards.
I plan to send the barrel off to Bobby Hoyt after the holidays to be re-bored to 52 caliber.
Back to top Go down
heelerau

heelerau

Male Number of posts : 171
Registration date : 2018-02-08

Greased Felt  Empty
PostSubject: Re: Greased Felt    Greased Felt  EmptySeptember 23rd 2018, 3:06 pm

Grimord, thanks for that,  its a bit difficult for me to send barrels from Down Under to Bobby H, I have spoken to him about an original Pat 53 barrel.
      With the bore rifle using felt wads I can load a dozen or more shots and the last loads as easily as the first.

Number of posts : 23
Registration date : 2018-07-04

Greased Felt  Empty
PostSubject: Re: Greased Felt    Greased Felt  EmptySeptember 27th 2018, 9:39 am

@heelerau wrote:
Gentlemen I use a greased felt wad over powder in my English .72 slow twist patched ball rifle. That is because the bore is not mirror bright and has the odd pit. It seems to work fine, and the rifle keeps loading easily, I use a .30 denim patch lubed with ballistol and water. 
       I believe you can use greased felt wads in patch ball rifles .50 and over.  Has anyone here on this forum done this and seen how the rifle loaded thus performs on a paper target at 50 yards?  
       I have a mates Baker rifle with a bore that is not the greatest that is .62 and will need to use a greased wad in this to reduce fouling.
       If none of you have tried this I will anyway,  and post the results.

If it is working for you, that is all that matters. Whatever works, works. Carry on.  t up
Back to top Go down

Greased Felt
Page 1 of 1

Permissions in this forum:You cannot reply to topics in this forum
Frontier Muzzleloading :: Muzzleloading Topic :: Traditional Muzzleloading-
Jump to: