Frontier Muzzleloading
Welcome to Frontier Muzzleloading!

Please take the time to either Register or Log In to your user name and join us!

Muzzleloading Forum

HomeFAQRegisterLog in

Who shoots with Felt wads?

Go down 
Go to page : 1, 2  Next
AuthorMessage
FrontierGander
Site
Site
FrontierGander

Male Number of posts : 16283
Registration date : 2008-05-19

Who shoots with Felt wads? Empty
PostSubject: Who shoots with Felt wads?   Who shoots with Felt wads? EmptySeptember 28th 2018, 10:53 am

With the shop coming along nicely, I have been thinking about producing my own lubed felt wads. I am pricing material and tools that I would need, which includes a press for removing excess lube. BUT

How many of you actually use a lubed felt between between the patch/powder charge or even under a conical bullet?

I don't want to get to ahead of myself and end up with an item I can not move out fast enough.

Common calibers will be 50 & 54 with the possibility of a 58cal felt wad.

These wads would be lubed with Frontier's Anti-Rust & Patch Lube.
Back to top Go down
RLSMITH

Male Number of posts : 43
Registration date : 2018-07-14

PostSubject: Re: Who shoots with Felt wads?   Who shoots with Felt wads? EmptySeptember 28th 2018, 11:10 am

I use them all the time and would buy from you
Back to top Go down
Buck Conner
Site Moderator
Site Moderator
Buck Conner

Male Number of posts : 3406
Registration date : 2015-10-20

PostSubject: Re: Who shoots with Felt wads?   Who shoots with Felt wads? EmptySeptember 28th 2018, 11:21 am

Have used them in smooth bore trade guns, and always use them in the black powder cartridge guns.

Back to top Go down
Grimord

Male Number of posts : 47
Registration date : 2015-01-02

PostSubject: Re: Who shoots with Felt wads?   Who shoots with Felt wads? EmptySeptember 29th 2018, 10:25 am

I use them in my smooth bore, and .58's.  I have found that a lubed felt button under the patch round ball reduces the patch shredding on a few of my antique guns with pitted bores.  It also tightens up the groups.
You might consider un-lubed felt buttons of various bore sizes, that way the user can lube the buttons if he/she desires.
Back to top Go down
Buck Conner
Site Moderator
Site Moderator
Buck Conner

PostSubject: Re: Who shoots with Felt wads?   Who shoots with Felt wads? EmptySeptember 29th 2018, 5:07 pm

Have found the very same thing, Jack Gardner wrote about this years ago in a Dixie Gunworks Catalog. Thanks for the reminder Grimrod.  study    :rtup

Back to top Go down
FrontierGander
Site
Site
FrontierGander

PostSubject: Re: Who shoots with Felt wads?   Who shoots with Felt wads? EmptySeptember 29th 2018, 5:15 pm

Im also considering offer a much thinner 1/16" felt wad to for those that do not need the typical 1/8" wad.
Back to top Go down
Buck Conner
Site Moderator
Site Moderator
Buck Conner

PostSubject: Re: Who shoots with Felt wads?   Who shoots with Felt wads? EmptySeptember 29th 2018, 7:03 pm

@FrontierGander wrote:
Im also considering offer a much thinner 1/16" felt wad to for those that do not need the typical 1/8" wad.

Get your butt in gear and start crankin' this new product out ...... cheers

Back to top Go down
FrontierGander
Site
Site
FrontierGander

PostSubject: Re: Who shoots with Felt wads?   Who shoots with Felt wads? EmptySeptember 29th 2018, 7:19 pm

I'm getting there Buck.
Back to top Go down
FrontierGander
Site
Site
FrontierGander

PostSubject: Re: Who shoots with Felt wads?   Who shoots with Felt wads? EmptyOctober 2nd 2018, 5:45 pm

I will be updating to machine powder as my neck is killing me after doing 200 of these the other day. This would take way to much time and muscle using manual labor and certainly would not be worth the price.

Hopefully by early next year I will be in full production.
Who shoots with Felt wads? Img_0220
Back to top Go down
Buck Conner
Site Moderator
Site Moderator
Buck Conner

PostSubject: Re: Who shoots with Felt wads?   Who shoots with Felt wads? EmptyOctober 2nd 2018, 5:57 pm

Back to slicing tampax's for wad felts......  What a Face  Who shoots with Felt wads? Shopping?q=tbn:ANd9GcS4RoLv-Fr7oE8fzpEAfvH5tc5_ovWoiuAA3pTtc6kquM4nhWC5XiU&usqp=CAc   lol!

Back to top Go down
FrontierGander
Site
Site
FrontierGander

PostSubject: Re: Who shoots with Felt wads?   Who shoots with Felt wads? EmptyOctober 2nd 2018, 6:26 pm

Shoot Buck, those are almost as expensive!
Back to top Go down
Buck Conner
Site Moderator
Site Moderator
Buck Conner

PostSubject: Re: Who shoots with Felt wads?   Who shoots with Felt wads? EmptyOctober 3rd 2018, 9:17 am

Now that is funny ...   Very Happy

Back to top Go down
heelerau

heelerau

Male Number of posts : 171
Registration date : 2018-02-08

PostSubject: Re: Who shoots with Felt wads?   Who shoots with Felt wads? EmptyOctober 5th 2018, 3:14 am

I use felt wads in my .72  over the powder, the bore is a little rough so it makes it easy to load in the field with a wooden ramrod. With the 4 dram charges of ffg you can feel the rifle torque up between your hands so I reckon the wad and patched ball are really gripping the rifling.,I will try some greased felt wads in a .62 original Baker style sporting rifle,  the rifling is ver deep in that rifle.

Last edited by heelerau on November 23rd 2018, 12:09 am; edited 1 time in total
Back to top Go down
burlesontom

Male Number of posts : 168
Registration date : 2018-04-10

PostSubject: Re: Who shoots with Felt wads?   Who shoots with Felt wads? EmptyOctober 9th 2018, 7:07 pm

@FrontierGander wrote:
Shoot Buck, those are almost as expensive!

Get the used ones. They're free.

I have never used felt wads. I do have some 50 cal wads I was given. They looked dried out so I got an ice cream stick and dabbed a little pat of Crisco on them and placed them on a plastic lid off a can of peanuts. Then I microwaved them about a minute and the Crisco melted and was soaked into the felt.

The next time I go shoot I am going to try some REAL bullets in my 50 cal with and without the wads and see if it makes a difference. I would not of thought of using the wads with the bullets if I hadn't read your post and article in the Backwoodsman magazine. I have always shot the bullets with just lube wiped on them and hit what I aimed at. But if it makes the groups better then nothing wrong with that.

I can't say if it would be worth making them to sell or not. Me being cheap like I am will probably just buy a couple of wad punches and make my own. On the other hand buying them premade might be a better idea since I mainly shoot PRB most of the time. I have 150 wads on hand now. It will be a long time before those are shot up.
Back to top Go down
burlesontom

Male Number of posts : 168
Registration date : 2018-04-10

PostSubject: Re: Who shoots with Felt wads?   Who shoots with Felt wads? EmptyOctober 10th 2018, 3:03 pm

@FrontierGander wrote:

Have you tried the thinner wads behind one of the Lee REAL bullets before?
Back to top Go down
FrontierGander
Site
Site
FrontierGander

PostSubject: Re: Who shoots with Felt wads?   Who shoots with Felt wads? EmptyOctober 10th 2018, 3:25 pm

@burlesontom wrote:
@FrontierGander wrote:

Have you tried the thinner wads behind one of the Lee REAL bullets before?

No, I have not tried the thinner wad yet.

I did however make a bunch of .50cal wads today in 1/8". Tomorrow I will look at the .44-.45 cutter and make sure the diameter is correct and punch a supply out. Hoping my new bags are in by next week.
Who shoots with Felt wads? Img_0221
Back to top Go down
Buck Conner
Site Moderator
Site Moderator
Buck Conner

PostSubject: Re: Who shoots with Felt wads?   Who shoots with Felt wads? EmptyOctober 10th 2018, 4:24 pm

How much for .50 cal. wads and how many in a package?  Shocked

Back to top Go down
FrontierGander
Site
Site
FrontierGander

PostSubject: Re: Who shoots with Felt wads?   Who shoots with Felt wads? EmptyOctober 10th 2018, 5:12 pm

Not 100% sure on price yet, but it will beat any other sellers price out there. Standard 100 per pack.
Back to top Go down
RLSMITH

PostSubject: Re: Who shoots with Felt wads?   Who shoots with Felt wads? EmptyOctober 10th 2018, 7:49 pm

I just got 200 hundred from track of the wolf for 5.95 per 100 and they were lubed
Back to top Go down
FrontierGander
Site
Site
FrontierGander

PostSubject: Re: Who shoots with Felt wads?   Who shoots with Felt wads? EmptyOctober 10th 2018, 8:08 pm

I checked the site and didnt find anything at that price. 50cal pre lubed shows up at 9.29
Back to top Go down
RLSMITH

PostSubject: Re: Who shoots with Felt wads?   Who shoots with Felt wads? EmptyOctober 10th 2018, 8:43 pm

You are correct Im sorry I quoted the wrong price
Back to top Go down
FrontierGander
Site
Site
FrontierGander

PostSubject: Re: Who shoots with Felt wads?   Who shoots with Felt wads? EmptyOctober 10th 2018, 8:47 pm

okay thats a good thing actually lol! We will still come in under that price even when lubed. Although I seem to get a feeling that most want them dry?
Back to top Go down
FrontierGander
Site
Site
FrontierGander

PostSubject: Re: Who shoots with Felt wads?   Who shoots with Felt wads? EmptyNovember 3rd 2018, 3:23 pm

Did a test run of the .36 & .44-45cal wads today. They seem to be perfect and over sized for a nice snug fit! Be a while before I get to them, just so much on the table at the moment.
Back to top Go down
Kentucky Colonel

Kentucky Colonel

Male Number of posts : 1774
Registration date : 2015-10-28

PostSubject: Re: Who shoots with Felt wads?   Who shoots with Felt wads? EmptyNovember 3rd 2018, 4:45 pm

I am using .44-.45 wads now and for the first time. 

I paid way too much for the first 2 packs of 100. I did not shop around well. I do not remember the exact amount I paid. I just remember thinking, "My God! I could have bought tampons for that!" (See Buck's post about slicing up Tampons for wads or this joke looks really weird.)

Put me down for an order of lubed, please. 

PS... For the record: After writing this, I discovered I am not comfortable with the words 'tampon' and 'lube' in the same post- even in an innocent fashion!

This may be the weirdest post I have made. alien

Florida Muzzleloaders Association 
Central Florida Muzzleloaders 
Green River Rifle Works Collectors Association
NMLRA

Last edited by Kentucky Colonel on November 23rd 2018, 9:10 am; edited 1 time in total
Back to top Go down
FrontierGander
Site
Site
FrontierGander

PostSubject: Re: Who shoots with Felt wads?   Who shoots with Felt wads? EmptyNovember 3rd 2018, 4:52 pm

lol! yeah kinda makes you feel funny doesnt it?

I'll let you know when they are available KC.
Back to top Go down

Who shoots with Felt wads?
Page 1 of 2Go to page : 1, 2  Next

Permissions in this forum:You cannot reply to topics in this forum
Frontier Muzzleloading :: Muzzleloading Topic :: Traditional Muzzleloading-
Jump to: