Frontier Muzzleloading
Welcome to Frontier Muzzleloading!

Please take the time to either Register or Log In to your user name and join us!

Muzzleloading Forum

HomeFAQRegisterLog in

Who shoots with Felt wads?

Go down 
Go to page : Previous  1, 2
AuthorMessage
Mike in Oz

Mike in Oz

Male Number of posts : 197
Registration date : 2017-09-22

Who shoots with Felt wads? - Page 2 Empty
PostSubject: Re: Who shoots with Felt wads?   Who shoots with Felt wads? - Page 2 EmptyNovember 3rd 2018, 5:54 pm

I use felt wads in my BP cartridge guns and in my cap and ball pistols but i don't think they'd work real well in my rifles.....
Back to top Go down
FrontierGander
Site
Site
FrontierGander

Male Number of posts : 16283
Registration date : 2008-05-19

PostSubject: Re: Who shoots with Felt wads?   Who shoots with Felt wads? - Page 2 EmptyNovember 3rd 2018, 5:56 pm

They'll work in rifles. I use them in my rifles with patched round ball and with conical bullets. Mostly flat based lead conical bullets.
Back to top Go down
Henry Frapp

Henry Frapp

Number of posts : 9
Registration date : 2018-05-25

PostSubject: Re: Who shoots with Felt wads?   Who shoots with Felt wads? - Page 2 EmptyNovember 4th 2018, 12:31 am

I use them in my smoothbore Howdah pistols. I've been thinking about trying them in my smallbore rifles.
Back to top Go down
Mike in Oz

Mike in Oz

PostSubject: Re: Who shoots with Felt wads?   Who shoots with Felt wads? - Page 2 EmptyNovember 4th 2018, 1:19 am

@FrontierGander wrote:
They'll work in rifles. I use them in my rifles with patched round ball and with conical bullets. Mostly flat based lead conical bullets.

So you load the powder, then the wad then the PRB in a rifle and they shoot okay?
Back to top Go down
FrontierGander
Site
Site
FrontierGander

PostSubject: Re: Who shoots with Felt wads?   Who shoots with Felt wads? - Page 2 EmptyNovember 4th 2018, 8:20 am

@Mike in Oz wrote:
@FrontierGander wrote:

So you load the powder, then the wad then the PRB in a rifle and they shoot okay?

Yes exactly. The wad fills the rifling and protects the patch. Super helpful when using large amounts of powder.
Back to top Go down
Buck Conner
Site Moderator
Site Moderator
Buck Conner

Male Number of posts : 3406
Registration date : 2015-10-20

PostSubject: Re: Who shoots with Felt wads?   Who shoots with Felt wads? - Page 2 EmptyNovember 4th 2018, 8:28 am

Works really well with small bores and large amounts of powder like 55-60 grains in a .36 caliber. That load makes them whistle like a .22 Hornet or a Zipper.

Back to top Go down
Mike in Oz

Mike in Oz

PostSubject: Re: Who shoots with Felt wads?   Who shoots with Felt wads? - Page 2 EmptyNovember 4th 2018, 4:31 pm

@FrontierGander wrote:
@Mike in Oz wrote:
@FrontierGander wrote:

Yes exactly. The wad fills the rifling and protects the patch. Super helpful when using large amounts of powder.

Huh. Who'd have thunk it....
Back to top Go down
bronko22000

Male Number of posts : 59
Registration date : 2016-03-22

PostSubject: Re: Who shoots with Felt wads?   Who shoots with Felt wads? - Page 2 EmptyNovember 18th 2018, 8:51 am

I only use them in my .45.  So far I've found there is no need for them under a patch and ball.  My .45 shoots a 370 gr conical.
Back to top Go down
coyote1

Number of posts : 20
Registration date : 2014-02-05

PostSubject: Re: Who shoots with Felt wads?   Who shoots with Felt wads? - Page 2 EmptyNovember 22nd 2018, 10:06 pm

I use them in all my .50,.54 rifles with prb and the .44 revolver. All the rifles are more accurate with wads vs without.

I like to buy them dry and lube with TOW mink oil. You would definitely have a customer base, especially the revolver calibers.
Back to top Go down
FrontierGander
Site
Site
FrontierGander

PostSubject: Re: Who shoots with Felt wads?   Who shoots with Felt wads? - Page 2 EmptyNovember 22nd 2018, 10:21 pm

That's good! The .44 and 50cal wads are selling like crazy so far.
Back to top Go down
heelerau

heelerau

Male Number of posts : 171
Registration date : 2018-02-08

PostSubject: Re: Who shoots with Felt wads?   Who shoots with Felt wads? - Page 2 EmptyNovember 23rd 2018, 12:10 am

Do you make a .45 1/4 in inch hard felt wad?

Site
Site
FrontierGander

PostSubject: Re: Who shoots with Felt wads?   Who shoots with Felt wads? - Page 2 EmptyNovember 23rd 2018, 10:36 am

1/8 inch only for now.
Back to top Go down
FrontierGander
Site
Site
FrontierGander

PostSubject: Re: Who shoots with Felt wads?   Who shoots with Felt wads? - Page 2 EmptyDecember 17th 2018, 6:47 pm

Just an update, but I currently am going to start offering prelubed wads in 44/45 caliber. I have 7 bags of prelubed wads in those calibers ready to go. The 50 & 44 - 45 cal wads are selling hot and fast. I will have them up tomorrow in my classifieds area.
Back to top Go down

Who shoots with Felt wads?
Page 2 of 2Go to page : Previous  1, 2

Permissions in this forum:You cannot reply to topics in this forum
Frontier Muzzleloading :: Muzzleloading Topic :: Traditional Muzzleloading-
Jump to: