Frontier Muzzleloading
Welcome to Frontier Muzzleloading!

Please take the time to either Register or Log In to your user name and join us!

Muzzleloading Forum

HomeFAQRegisterLog in

Finally Got A Rifle Sighted In

Go down 
AuthorMessage
falcon

falcon

Male Number of posts : 1557
Registration date : 2012-05-28

Finally Got A Rifle Sighted In Empty
PostSubject: Finally Got A Rifle Sighted In   Finally Got A Rifle Sighted In EmptySeptember 29th 2018, 6:33 am

Ft. conventional muzzleloader deer season opens on 13 October.  i did not have a rifle sighted in for that season.  The rear sight on the .54 New Englander barrel gave me fits.  Turns out the windage adjustment mechanism is stripped.   New Englander rifles have several models of sights, none of them much good. 

i bought a .50 caliber barrel from a seller on ebay.  Bought the barrel because of it's Remington centerfire rifle sights.  The front sight has  an ivory bead.  The bore is perfect. 

Laser bore sighted the rifle.  Put a target at 25 yards and finally got the gun shooting  5" high and a few inches to the right.  Made a windage adjustment and the bullet did not hit the paper.    

Nuff of this.  Put a clay pidgeon on the backstop 78 yards away.  First shot was about 15" high and 7" to the right.   After several adjustments, finally got a shot 4" the right of POA.   Left it there because there was a 5-10 mph wind from the left.  Held to the left on the last shot and broke the target.   Put up another clay pidgeon and broke it first shot. 

i'm good to go.
Back to top Go down
Kentucky Colonel

Kentucky Colonel

Male Number of posts : 1775
Registration date : 2015-10-28

PostSubject: Re: Finally Got A Rifle Sighted In   Finally Got A Rifle Sighted In EmptySeptember 29th 2018, 7:22 am

You are an official bad ass. cheers

Florida Muzzleloaders Association 
Central Florida Muzzleloaders 
Green River Rifle Works Collectors Association
NMLRA
Back to top Go down
Rifleman1776

Number of posts : 23
Registration date : 2018-07-04

PostSubject: Re: Finally Got A Rifle Sighted In   Finally Got A Rifle Sighted In EmptySeptember 30th 2018, 9:06 am

Did you work up an optimum load before trying to sight the rifle?
Back to top Go down
falcon

falcon

Male Number of posts : 1557
Registration date : 2012-05-28

PostSubject: Re: Finally Got A Rifle Sighted In   Finally Got A Rifle Sighted In EmptySeptember 30th 2018, 10:25 am

Quote :
Did you work up an optimum load before trying to sight the rifle?

The load is 80 grains of Black MZ powder.
Back to top Go down
FrontierGander
Site
Site
FrontierGander

Male Number of posts : 16313
Registration date : 2008-05-19

PostSubject: Re: Finally Got A Rifle Sighted In   Finally Got A Rifle Sighted In EmptySeptember 30th 2018, 10:42 am

That load will do Floyd! Doesn't matter what rifle I shoot, 70-80gr is always the best shooting load, even in my 1:66 twist.
Back to top Go down
R. Boone

Number of posts : 29
Registration date : 2018-07-19

PostSubject: Re: Finally Got A Rifle Sighted In   Finally Got A Rifle Sighted In EmptyOctober 2nd 2018, 1:01 pm

I have been sighting in a T.C. renegade. I looked back at the old owners manual they recommend 80 gr. 2fg or pyrodex for the accuracy load.
Back to top Go down
hunting savage

Number of posts : 170
Registration date : 2014-05-03

PostSubject: Re: Finally Got A Rifle Sighted In   Finally Got A Rifle Sighted In EmptyOctober 3rd 2018, 9:51 am

SHOT DEER AND TREES WITH THAT LOAD DOES NICE JOB ON BOTH DONT NEED MORE POWER THEN THAT
Back to top Go down

Finally Got A Rifle Sighted In
Page 1 of 1

Permissions in this forum:You cannot reply to topics in this forum
Frontier Muzzleloading :: Muzzleloading Topic :: Traditional Muzzleloading-
Jump to: