Frontier Muzzleloading
Welcome to Frontier Muzzleloading!

Please take the time to either Register or Log In to your user name and join us!

Muzzleloading Forum

HomeFAQRegisterLog in

Anyway to speed up breech plug cleaning?

Go down 
AuthorMessage
Jdroyer

Number of posts : 6
Registration date : 2018-09-20

Anyway to speed up breech plug cleaning? Empty
PostSubject: Anyway to speed up breech plug cleaning?   Anyway to speed up breech plug cleaning? EmptyOctober 2nd 2018, 9:00 am

TC Omega plug, BH209, W209 primer. I shot about 20 rounds yesterday, pulled the BP and let it soak in Hoppe's overnight. There was quite a bit of carbon buildup and the drill bit worked fine but took about 20 minutes to get pristine. Is there a solvent out there that will soften the buildup in the flash channel? That stuff is hard! Question
Back to top Go down
FrontierGander
Site
Site
FrontierGander

Male Number of posts : 16274
Registration date : 2008-05-19

PostSubject: Re: Anyway to speed up breech plug cleaning?   Anyway to speed up breech plug cleaning? EmptyOctober 2nd 2018, 9:41 am

Nope, just use the drill bit. The solvent can be used to help soften it a bit, but not a whole lot.
Back to top Go down
muzzle-loader

muzzle-loader

Number of posts : 53
Registration date : 2014-05-01

PostSubject: Re: Anyway to speed up breech plug cleaning?   Anyway to speed up breech plug cleaning? EmptyOctober 4th 2018, 11:03 am

I've found that the Montana X-treme Blackhorn 209 solvent works really well, so that could be something to try. 20 minutes seems like a lot of time to clean a breech plug, I haven't had anything take more than 5 minutes. 

Also, if I'm shooting a lot at the range, I'll carry an extra breech plug and swap them out every so often. That way, one can be soaking while I'm still shooting.

Anyway to speed up breech plug cleaning? Logo15
Back to top Go down
http://www.muzzle-loaders.com
Mebits

Number of posts : 80
Registration date : 2014-03-18

PostSubject: Re: Anyway to speed up breech plug cleaning?   Anyway to speed up breech plug cleaning? EmptyNovember 1st 2018, 3:05 pm

@muzzle-loader wrote:

Also, if I'm shooting a lot at the range, I'll carry an extra breech plug and swap them out every so often. That way, one can be soaking while I'm still shooting.

That's a clever idea!
Back to top Go down
Jdroyer

Number of posts : 6
Registration date : 2018-09-20

PostSubject: Re: Anyway to speed up breech plug cleaning?   Anyway to speed up breech plug cleaning? EmptyNovember 1st 2018, 7:57 pm

I've recently switched from W209 primers to Fed 209A's and find the carbon buildup in the flash channel using Federals is by far easier to clean out. The carbon left by Winchester primers is waaay harder. That alone has sped up my BP cleaning.
Back to top Go down

Anyway to speed up breech plug cleaning?
Page 1 of 1

Permissions in this forum:You cannot reply to topics in this forum
Frontier Muzzleloading :: Muzzleloading Topic :: Modern Muzzleloading-
Jump to: