Frontier Muzzleloading
Welcome to Frontier Muzzleloading!

Please take the time to either Register or Log In to your user name and join us!

Muzzleloading Forum

HomeFAQRegisterLog in
Share | 

Traditions™ 1851 Navy Revolver Pistol - .44 Cal

Go down 
AuthorMessage
Kentucky Colonel

Kentucky Colonel

Male Number of posts : 1748
Registration date : 2015-10-28

PostSubject: Traditions™ 1851 Navy Revolver Pistol - .44 Cal   October 7th 2018, 5:15 pm

I know nothing about this pistol. The main question at hand is can it be used practically as a shooter? It is very affordable new- the 200 dollar range. My Dad acquired one. I just want to know if it is a replica-sit-on-the shelf-pistol, or a bang-bang-fun pistol. 

Anyone know anything about this one? Thanks.

Florida Muzzleloaders Association 
Central Florida Muzzleloaders 
Green River Rifle Works Collectors Association
NMLRA
Back to top Go down
FrontierGander
Site
Site
FrontierGander

Male Number of posts : 15804
Registration date : 2008-05-19

PostSubject: Re: Traditions™ 1851 Navy Revolver Pistol - .44 Cal   October 7th 2018, 5:20 pm

They are Pietta brand in a Traditions box. Great shooters and good looking pistols. I used to have the 1860 and they are a blast to shoot.
Back to top Go down
https://www.frontiermuzzleloading.com
Kentucky Colonel

Kentucky Colonel

Male Number of posts : 1748
Registration date : 2015-10-28

PostSubject: Re: Traditions™ 1851 Navy Revolver Pistol - .44 Cal   October 7th 2018, 6:28 pm

@FrontierGander wrote:
They are Pietta brand in a Traditions box. Great shooters and good looking pistols. I used to have the 1860 and they are a blast to shoot.

Thanks, FG. My Dad will be pleased.

These are very affordable, then. Wow. I looked up the 1860, too. It sells for around 500?

Florida Muzzleloaders Association 
Central Florida Muzzleloaders 
Green River Rifle Works Collectors Association
NMLRA
Back to top Go down
FrontierGander
Site
Site
FrontierGander

Male Number of posts : 15804
Registration date : 2008-05-19

PostSubject: Re: Traditions™ 1851 Navy Revolver Pistol - .44 Cal   October 7th 2018, 6:39 pm

it shouldnt unless its a uberti!
Back to top Go down
https://www.frontiermuzzleloading.com
RonC

RonC

Male Number of posts : 1073
Registration date : 2013-09-09

PostSubject: Re: Traditions™ 1851 Navy Revolver Pistol - .44 Cal   November 10th 2018, 7:46 am

The Pietta made 1851 Navy revolvers are terrific firearms and, as already stated, fun to shoot. If I recall correctly, the brass framed 1851 Navy can't handle the higher powder loads that the steel framed revolvers can. I know that to be the case with the 36 cal 1851. My 1851 Navy is 36 cal and the 1860 Army is 44 cal. Both are steel framed. The brass framed versions were much less expensive, but I didn't want the powder-pressure limitations.
I would have no qualms about shooting it regularly, but I would check first about the recommended loads.
Ron

Outside of a Dog, a Book is Man’s Best Friend. Inside of a Dog, It’s Too Dark to Read. Groucho Marx (or possibly someone earlier)
Back to top Go down
BigAl52
Site Moderator
Site Moderator
BigAl52

Male Number of posts : 582
Registration date : 2016-02-03

PostSubject: Re: Traditions™ 1851 Navy Revolver Pistol - .44 Cal   November 10th 2018, 8:42 am

Ive got the Uberti 1860 Army and didnt pay anything close to 500 for mine. The one thing I have read about the army though is Pietta does a better job with the cylinder shaft length. With my Uberti I needed to make a spacer so when the barrel is put back on after removing the cylinder the spacing is the same.

John Bergmann 50 cal Lancaster
John Bergmann 54 cal Hawken
GRRW 50 cal
GRRW 58 cal
Lyman GPR 54 cal flintlock L&R lock davis deerslayer trigger
Lyman Trade Rifle 54 cal
CVA Hawken 58 cal by Jonathan
Hawken Squirrel Rifle 40 cal by John Bergman
Pedersoli Penn Rifle 50 cal flintlock
Back to top Go down
Buck Conner
Site Moderator
Site Moderator
Buck Conner

Male Number of posts : 3019
Registration date : 2015-10-20

PostSubject: Re: Traditions™ 1851 Navy Revolver Pistol - .44 Cal   November 14th 2018, 1:41 pm

Interesting guys, knew about the brass frame issues, never heard about the cylinder shaft length before on the Uberti , thanks.

Number of posts : 33
Registration date : 2018-09-18

PostSubject: Re: Traditions™ 1851 Navy Revolver Pistol - .44 Cal   December 1st 2018, 4:18 pm

Pietta Sheriff started my bug nice guns careful with brass frames one can shoot out (stretch) the soft brass....Mine is used a few times a month with 20 grains some consider it weak but I`d like to keep the gun it is a hoot to shoot.
Back to top Go down
Buck Conner
Site Moderator
Site Moderator
Buck Conner

Male Number of posts : 3019
Registration date : 2015-10-20

PostSubject: Re: Traditions™ 1851 Navy Revolver Pistol - .44 Cal   December 9th 2018, 12:12 pm

@CVA Enthusiast wrote:
Pietta Sheriff started my bug nice guns careful with brass frames one can shoot out (stretch) the soft brass....Mine is used a few times a month with 20 grains some consider it weak but I`d like to keep the gun it is a hoot to shoot.

Brass frames will stretch if not careful on your loads.   :tdown2

Number of posts : 33
Registration date : 2018-09-18

PostSubject: Re: Traditions™ 1851 Navy Revolver Pistol - .44 Cal   December 9th 2018, 5:45 pm

@Buck Conner wrote:
@CVA Enthusiast wrote:

Brass frames will stretch if not careful on your loads.   :tdown2
YUP I believe I said it eventually brass frames  do "Shoot Out" or stretch of course higher powder load the faster it achieves this.
Back to top Go down
RonC

RonC

Male Number of posts : 1073
Registration date : 2013-09-09

PostSubject: Re: Traditions™ 1851 Navy Revolver Pistol - .44 Cal   December 10th 2018, 7:23 am

My 1851 is fun to shoot!
Feeling lazy, I bought an extra cylinder and a six chamber loading device. That way, I get 12 shots before reloading and can reload each cylinder quickly with 6 balls at one time.
The price to pay is the time it takes to clean the pistol after shooting.
Ron

Outside of a Dog, a Book is Man’s Best Friend. Inside of a Dog, It’s Too Dark to Read. Groucho Marx (or possibly someone earlier)
Back to top Go down

Traditions™ 1851 Navy Revolver Pistol - .44 Cal
Page 1 of 1

Permissions in this forum:You cannot reply to topics in this forum
Frontier Muzzleloading :: Muzzleloading Topic :: Black Powder Hand Guns-
Jump to: