Frontier Muzzleloading
Welcome to Frontier Muzzleloading!

Please take the time to either Register or Log In to your user name and join us!

Muzzleloading Forum

HomeFAQRegisterLog in

Scope for inline muzzleloader

Go down 
AuthorMessage
johnfg

Number of posts : 14
Registration date : 2017-11-28

Scope for inline muzzleloader Empty
PostSubject: Scope for inline muzzleloader   Scope for inline muzzleloader EmptyOctober 9th 2018, 12:02 pm

Hi folks!  I've got a Winchester Apex.  Just had a Bushnell scope fail for the 2nd time.  What scope would you recommend?  At present, I'm thinking of the Leupold and Nikon, both 3x9 40mm, and both having BDC especially for muzzleloaders.  Let me know what you think, and/or your experience.

Thanks!
john
Back to top Go down
FrontierGander
Site
Site
FrontierGander

Male Number of posts : 16164
Registration date : 2008-05-19

PostSubject: Re: Scope for inline muzzleloader   Scope for inline muzzleloader EmptyOctober 9th 2018, 12:11 pm

Check out the Nikon Prostaff. Low cost but quality. Leupold is another great brand. I personally wouldn't bother with that bdc stuff.
Back to top Go down
https://www.frontiermuzzleloading.com
johnfg

PostSubject: Nikon   Scope for inline muzzleloader EmptyOctober 9th 2018, 12:19 pm

My thought is to go, if it's a Nikon, with their: Nikon Prostaff P3 3-9x40 Muzzleloader Scope.
If Leupold, then with their:
Leupold VX-Freedom Muzzleloader 3-9x40 UltimateSlam
Back to top Go down
Sparkitoff

Number of posts : 190
Registration date : 2018-06-08

PostSubject: Re: Scope for inline muzzleloader   Scope for inline muzzleloader EmptyOctober 9th 2018, 2:09 pm

I love the Leupold Ultimate Slam scopes. Super glass and easy to use. One of my favorite scopes of all time.
Back to top Go down
johnfg

PostSubject: Re: Scope for inline muzzleloader   Scope for inline muzzleloader EmptyOctober 9th 2018, 7:03 pm

I decided on the Nikon mentioned above, as it's $50 cheaper, and it and the Leupold seem very similar in their specs.  Plus, with a lifetime warranty on both, shouldn't go wrong.
Back to top Go down
Buck Conner
Site Moderator
Site Moderator
Buck Conner

Male Number of posts : 3305
Registration date : 2015-10-20

PostSubject: Re: Scope for inline muzzleloader   Scope for inline muzzleloader EmptyOctober 10th 2018, 4:29 pm

Scopes have really improved over the years not like the old ones. I used a regular Leupold 4X rifle scope on a 12ga shotgun year ago and it fell apart inside.  Sent it back to Leupold and they knew what I had done and informed be this scope is for rifles only. They sent me a new (different) scope meant for shotgun recoil, never had a problem again.

Scope for inline muzzleloader Img2

Back to top Go down
Jdroyer

Number of posts : 6
Registration date : 2018-09-20

PostSubject: Re: Scope for inline muzzleloader   Scope for inline muzzleloader EmptyOctober 10th 2018, 6:00 pm

I'd like to find a good scope without BDC. Seems everyone I'm interested in has a cluttered up reticle or out of production. Any ideas?
Back to top Go down
muzzle-loader

muzzle-loader

Number of posts : 53
Registration date : 2014-05-01

PostSubject: Re: Scope for inline muzzleloader   Scope for inline muzzleloader EmptyOctober 18th 2018, 6:23 pm

@Jdroyer wrote:
I'd like to find a good scope without BDC. Seems everyone I'm interested in has a cluttered up reticle or out of production. Any ideas?
If you like either of the scopes mentioned above, you could go with either the Nikon Prostaff (Part Number 6726), or the VX-Freedom (Part Number 174180). These are essentially the same glass as the UltimateSlam and P3 Muzzleloader but offer the duplex reticles. The only other thing that is different, which will not make much difference at all, is that the parallax on the muzzleloader scopes is set for 75 yards, versus 150 yards for most rifle scopes.

Scope for inline muzzleloader Logo15
Back to top Go down
http://www.muzzle-loaders.com
falcon

falcon

Male Number of posts : 1545
Registration date : 2012-05-28

PostSubject: Re: Scope for inline muzzleloader   Scope for inline muzzleloader EmptyOctober 19th 2018, 7:05 am

i like fixed power scopes on muzzleloaders and rifled barrel shotguns. Recently installed the 4X38 Weaver scope on a .54 caliber TC FireHawk rifle belonging to a friend. It's a really good quality scope that's made in Japan.
Back to top Go down
Smokin' Joe
Forum
Forum
Smokin' Joe

Male Number of posts : 2056
Registration date : 2011-11-23

PostSubject: Re: Scope for inline muzzleloader   Scope for inline muzzleloader EmptyOctober 19th 2018, 7:20 am

I was impressed by the Nikon scopes. I moved up one notch to a MONARCH 3,  2-8X32 on my CVA Accura MR. It has a little smaller profile than the 3x9's and with 95% light transmission it's a great muzzy scope.  For me, I'm not sure how valuable a BDC reticle is on a muzzleloader but I did hunt with a Nikon Prostaff BDC one year.  I liked it!

Semper Fi……..
Back to top Go down
johnfg

PostSubject: Re: Scope for inline muzzleloader   Scope for inline muzzleloader EmptyOctober 19th 2018, 1:13 pm

I appreciate all the input!  I went with the Nikon Prostaff 3x9 40mm Muzzleloader with BDC.  Got it mostly sighted in, but will do one more fine-tuning before Saturday's hunt.  One thing to advise you of, try spoton.nikonsportoptics.com.  Very cool how it works with their scopes to give you some quite valuable data.  You won't find every bullet/projectile/ball, but can probably find close enough.
Back to top Go down
muzzle-loader

muzzle-loader

Number of posts : 53
Registration date : 2014-05-01

PostSubject: Re: Scope for inline muzzleloader   Scope for inline muzzleloader EmptyOctober 19th 2018, 1:16 pm

Hey John,

The SpotOn app has been extremely convenient to use. If you want to have the data available at the range, you can also download the app on your phone. When you get really into it, you can even input your BC and customize your velocity for more exact readings. Glad you're liking the P3, it is a great scope!

Scope for inline muzzleloader Logo15
Back to top Go down
http://www.muzzle-loaders.com
CVA Enthusiast

Number of posts : 43
Registration date : 2018-09-18

PostSubject: Re: Scope for inline muzzleloader   Scope for inline muzzleloader EmptyOctober 19th 2018, 7:02 pm

I got the BSA that came with package buys. However this has been a good read Leaning towards nikon
Back to top Go down
Sparkitoff

Number of posts : 190
Registration date : 2018-06-08

PostSubject: Re: Scope for inline muzzleloader   Scope for inline muzzleloader EmptyOctober 20th 2018, 6:45 am

I had a Nikon rangefinder. I was shooting a bow in my driveway. The rangefinder fell out of my pocket and landed on the asphalt - a fall of maybe 3 feet.  The rangefinder would not work. I called Nikon for the warranty and sent it in. I got a call after about a week from a representative that said Nikon would not cover the rangefinder since the malfunction was due to "abuse". I explained what happened again and was told that if I had fallen that would be an accident but since I didn't secure it properly it was abuse. I demanded a manager and spoke to two additional people. The last person said they would have an estimate for repair sent to me, in other words they would fix it for a price. When I got the estimate, Nikon wanted $9 less than I paid for the rangefinder new to fix it. I told them forget it and send it back (thinking maybe someone good with electronics could fix it). It did not show up. I called and Nikon tracked it down and said since it was there more than 30 days without a disposition it was discarded. I was speaking to them all along about it! So Nikon left a bad impression with me and although the price and quality is good I will never buy another product from them.

I bought a Leupold VX-III in 1984.  In 2012 it would not focus and would not change magnification. I called Leupold and sent it in. The same day it was received in Oregon someone called me. He said they no longer made that exact model. He referred me to their website and told me to pick one that was valued at or more than the current VX-III scopes. I did and a new scope arrived in 4 days no questions, no hassles. I received another call from Leupold and wondered what they wanted. When I called back a guy said "I have your old scope. It looks like you have spent a long time with it. I have entered the serial # and it is not eligible for any warranty anymore, but I can send it back to you if you want to display it for nostalgia purposes, or I can just throw it away, whichever you prefer". I thought that was very nice and I said I'd like it back. It showed up at no cost to me!  I have it displayed in a shadow box with a photo, a cartridge and some other stuff. This is how customer service and a warranty should be. I have a Leupold scope on every rifle that has one, including the Ultimate Slam on muzzleloaders (my favorite scope), a Crossbones (on crossbow) and a rangefinder and binos.

Buy what you want of course. I will support Made in USA and the outstanding service I got from Leupold. I am not willing to take a chance on some other brand when I have total confidence in this one. IF I could not afford a Leupold and really needed a scope I would consider the Redfield (made by Leupold with same warranty) or the Hi-Lux Optics scopes (with another great warranty that I have indirect experience with).
Back to top Go down
CVA Enthusiast

Number of posts : 43
Registration date : 2018-09-18

PostSubject: Re: Scope for inline muzzleloader   Scope for inline muzzleloader EmptyOctober 20th 2018, 10:35 am

MMMMMMMMMM...As I said reading and leaning as I read decisions are not set in stone Your post was very interesting as well.
Back to top Go down

Scope for inline muzzleloader
Page 1 of 1

Permissions in this forum:You cannot reply to topics in this forum
Frontier Muzzleloading :: Muzzleloading Topic :: Modern Muzzleloading-
Jump to: