Frontier Muzzleloading
Welcome to Frontier Muzzleloading!

Please take the time to either Register or Log In to your user name and join us!

Muzzleloading Forum

HomeFAQRegisterLog in

New patch material

Go down 
AuthorMessage
FrontierGander
Site
Site
FrontierGander

Male Number of posts : 16283
Registration date : 2008-05-19

New patch material Empty
PostSubject: New patch material   New patch material EmptyOctober 13th 2018, 7:56 pm

Always looking for the best thing out there and so I ordered a yard of material to test out ( better to order more just in case it works, than to little ) and After washing it twice and air drying, it fluffed up to .025" and when compressed, mic'd at .018" which was awesome.

I settled for cutting a small section into 1 1/2 foot long strips then rolled loosely and dipped the roll into a small jar of my anti rust and patch lube and let the rolls dry over night.

Today I loaded up 70gr Black MZ and the new material. Blaze orange turns red after lubing by the way lol! The red was a hell of a lot easier to spot on the range and I recovered all of my patches.

I cut at the muzzle and to me, the materials thickness would be felt at the muzzle but once they popped into the bore, they loaded great all the way down on a fouled bore. Accuracy I did not check. I just wanted to get some down range and see how reloading on a fouled bore was and most importantly, how the material held up.

If its not snowing to bad tomorrow, I want to get back out with a good clean target and 80gr Black MZ and take a look at accuracy and patch hold up with a heavier charge.

So far, I am pleased. The patches color sticks out very nicely on the range when I go out and collect them.
New patch material 100_2610
Back to top Go down
PaulK

PaulK

Number of posts : 52
Registration date : 2016-12-07

New patch material Empty
PostSubject: Re: New patch material   New patch material EmptyOctober 13th 2018, 9:50 pm

What is the material your using there?
Back to top Go down
burlesontom

Male Number of posts : 168
Registration date : 2018-04-10

New patch material Empty
PostSubject: Re: New patch material   New patch material EmptyOctober 14th 2018, 8:28 am

I bet he never tells...
Back to top Go down
The author of this message was banned from the forum - See the message
FrontierGander
Site
Site
FrontierGander

New patch material Empty
PostSubject: Re: New patch material   New patch material EmptyOctober 14th 2018, 10:00 am

duck cotton is correct fellers.
Back to top Go down
PaulK

PaulK

Number of posts : 52
Registration date : 2016-12-07

New patch material Empty
PostSubject: Re: New patch material   New patch material EmptyOctober 14th 2018, 5:27 pm

@FrontierGander wrote:
I haven't been able to find any duck cotton that mic'ed out less then .021" when compressed. I think I'll try washing some and see what happens.
Back to top Go down
FrontierGander
Site
Site
FrontierGander

New patch material Empty
PostSubject: Re: New patch material   New patch material EmptyOctober 14th 2018, 5:47 pm

Wash it a couple times, no detergent, no softener. Put in the dryer on air dry.
Back to top Go down
Buck Conner
Site Moderator
Site Moderator
Buck Conner

Male Number of posts : 3406
Registration date : 2015-10-20

New patch material Empty
PostSubject: Re: New patch material   New patch material EmptyOctober 15th 2018, 11:04 am

Go to Trinidad Jonathan, find a fabric store and look at their cotton products, don't for get to take your calibers for sizing. 

I always look for a material with a nap on one side only and no nap on the other (best material choice for cleaning or shooting).  :rtup

Back to top Go down
Buck Conner
Site Moderator
Site Moderator
Buck Conner

New patch material Empty
PostSubject: Re: New patch material   New patch material EmptyOctober 15th 2018, 11:06 am

@PaulK wrote:
@FrontierGander wrote:
I haven't been able to find any duck cotton that mic'ed out less then .021" when compressed. I think I'll try washing some and see what happens.

Look at pillow ticking, anywhere from .012" to .018". Some fabric stores will call "cotton duck" (correct name per them) "Sail Fabric". Sail fabric or sail cloth also works great for a cheap light canvas that can be waterproofed for shelter material.

Back to top Go down
Hylander

Hylander

Male Number of posts : 233
Registration date : 2017-11-07

New patch material Empty
PostSubject: Re: New patch material   New patch material EmptyOctober 15th 2018, 7:04 pm

I have some Drill Cotton that I use, works great.
I may have to get some of your Anit-Rust Lube.

Last edited by Hylander on October 20th 2018, 12:02 am; edited 1 time in total
Back to top Go down
FrontierGander
Site
Site
FrontierGander

New patch material Empty
PostSubject: Re: New patch material   New patch material EmptyOctober 15th 2018, 8:11 pm

The only stores Trinidad has anymore are 30+ pot stores lol!
Back to top Go down
FrontierGander
Site
Site
FrontierGander

New patch material Empty
PostSubject: Re: New patch material   New patch material EmptyOctober 19th 2018, 8:42 pm

What's better than cutting at the muzzle? Cutting at the loading block! Now I can get more shots down range faster and I won't have to fumble around with my knife on the range.
New patch material 100_2616
Back to top Go down
Buck Conner
Site Moderator
Site Moderator
Buck Conner

New patch material Empty
PostSubject: Re: New patch material   New patch material EmptyOctober 20th 2018, 9:19 am

There have been many discussions whether the mountaineers had or used loading blocks before the War of 1812. From years of research (had a shopping list of what we were looking for). Loading blocks were at the top of the list, only found a few references in personal journals to this item (maybe many could or couldn't write from what I have read). 

Then there's always the guy that has never done any kind of documented research that comes up with the lame remark "if they had them they would have used them."  Don't you love jerks like that  !@#$%^  Evil or Very Mad

Back to top Go down
Hylander

Hylander

Male Number of posts : 233
Registration date : 2017-11-07

New patch material Empty
PostSubject: Re: New patch material   New patch material EmptyOctober 20th 2018, 10:41 am

@Buck Conner wrote:
Then there's always the guy that has never done any kind of documented research that comes up with the lame remark "if they had them they would have used them."  Don't you love jerks like that  !@#$%^  Evil or Very Mad

Wish I had a dollar for every time I heard that    headslap
Back to top Go down
Mofish

Number of posts : 80
Registration date : 2018-07-25

New patch material Empty
PostSubject: Re: New patch material   New patch material EmptyOctober 20th 2018, 4:36 pm

@FrontierGander wrote:
The only stores Trinidad has anymore are 30+ pot stores lol!
Go across the hill to Raton, and they have several quilt shops with lots of fabric. I remember one on 1st street just off the top of my head. Sometimes I think my wife knows about every fabric shop between Texas and Washington...and makes me stop at them along our travels. A wife that quilts can be quite an experience.
Back to top Go down

New patch material
Page 1 of 1

Permissions in this forum:You cannot reply to topics in this forum
Frontier Muzzleloading :: Muzzleloading Topic :: Traditional Muzzleloading-
Jump to: