Frontier Muzzleloading
Welcome to Frontier Muzzleloading!

Please take the time to either Register or Log In to your user name and join us!

Muzzleloading Forum

HomeFAQRegisterLog in

New Thompson Hawken

Go down 
Go to page : 1, 2, 3  Next
AuthorMessage
Hylander

Hylander

Male Number of posts : 233
Registration date : 2017-11-07

New Thompson Hawken Empty
PostSubject: New Thompson Hawken   New Thompson Hawken EmptyMon 15 Oct - 19:08

Well, New to me.
I couldn't hep myself tonight, this just seemed like a very good deal. I did confirm with the seller , no "K" in the serial number and it is not a kit gun.
So I hit the "Buy It Now" Button.

Thompson Hawken
Back to top Go down
Rick N Bama

Rick N Bama

Male Number of posts : 95
Location : North Alabama smack dab in the heart of Tornado Alley!
Registration date : 2017-11-23

PostSubject: Re: New Thompson Hawken   New Thompson Hawken EmptyMon 15 Oct - 19:16

Now as you well know pictures are required or "it didn't happen" Smile  What does a "K" in a serial number mean?  Is that a bad thing?
Back to top Go down
Hylander

Hylander

PostSubject: Re: New Thompson Hawken   New Thompson Hawken EmptyMon 15 Oct - 19:54

@Rick N Bama wrote:
Now as you well know pictures are required or "it didn't happen" Smile  What does a "K" in a serial number mean?  Is that a bad thing?

Click on the Red Hawken link in the OP for picks.
I will post up more picks when it gets here.
If the serial number starts with a "K" it is a kit rifle.
Thompson sold a lot of finished rifles and a lot of rifles in kit form for the end user to finish building.
Back to top Go down
FrontierGander
Site
Site
FrontierGander

Male Number of posts : 16283
Registration date : 2008-05-19

PostSubject: Re: New Thompson Hawken   New Thompson Hawken EmptyMon 15 Oct - 20:06

I'd say its factory. At some point someone may have stripped the finish and done a much better job as the wood and finish is superb compared to the tc stuff. The lock panels are correct for a factory finish gun.
Back to top Go down
westexcruzer

Number of posts : 2
Registration date : 2018-10-20

PostSubject: Re: New Thompson Hawken   New Thompson Hawken EmptySat 20 Oct - 7:07

Congrats! I bought one from an individual a month ago, it had a few problems that were an easy fix. Can't beat a new gun day!
Back to top Go down
Kentucky Colonel

Kentucky Colonel

Male Number of posts : 1774
Registration date : 2015-10-28

PostSubject: Re: New Thompson Hawken   New Thompson Hawken EmptySat 20 Oct - 7:12

Nice! Sometimes you just can't help yourself. Laughing

Florida Muzzleloaders Association 
Central Florida Muzzleloaders 
Green River Rifle Works Collectors Association
NMLRA
Back to top Go down
burlesontom

Male Number of posts : 168
Registration date : 2018-04-10

PostSubject: Re: New Thompson Hawken   New Thompson Hawken EmptySat 20 Oct - 14:15

On another forum one poster is a real stickler for historical accuracy really went off on TC in general and TC Hawkens in particular. He made many points about how those guns are not real "Hawkens".

Me, I don't care. They are closer to the guns carried by the pioneers in their covered wagons headed west across the great plains and into Oregon and California. But they are wrongly called Hawkens.

But they are darn good guns. I have owned 3 or so of them and about 5 Renegade rifles. As far as I am concerned they are the "Rugers" of BP guns. Almost unbreakable and good shooters if loaded correctly. Very nice gun you have there. It will last you a lifetime.

I just redid a Renegade rifle that was a kit gun and the first builder screwed it up pretty bad. They rounded off the lock panels and left so much wood on the forearm that the barrel wedge barely made it through the gun. Here are a few pictures of it. I have it for sale on GB right now.

https://www.gunbroker.com/item/788591547
Back to top Go down
burlesontom

PostSubject: Re: New Thompson Hawken   New Thompson Hawken EmptySat 20 Oct - 14:22

Those TC Hawkens and New Englander and Renegade rifles may not have been what the Mountain Men carried. But if they had of had them they would have used them.

Thats for you Buck. Evil or Very Mad :scucks Tease
Back to top Go down
Mofish

Number of posts : 80
Registration date : 2018-07-25

PostSubject: Re: New Thompson Hawken   New Thompson Hawken EmptySat 20 Oct - 16:29

You betcha....the Mountain Men would have jumped on a TC Hawken in a heartbeat if something like it was available then. Carrying on horseback would have been a lot easier with the lighter and shorter barrels from some of the stuff they used back then. 
A TC Hawken might not be the absolute best there is out there for any usage, but it is a pretty good middle ground weapon and does okay for most usage. I have owned a number of them over the years, but don't currently. I was sorry to see production stopped.
If more states would adopt the regs like they should, limiting muzzleloader hunting to side locks, they would probably become available again.
Back to top Go down
burlesontom

PostSubject: Re: New Thompson Hawken   New Thompson Hawken EmptySun 21 Oct - 10:55

Yep, I am all for locking down the use of inline rifles and making it sidelock only. Whats the point of having a primitive season if you aren't going to use a primitive style gun? At least limit it to open sights only. It wouldn't bother me if only flintlocks were allowed. I would buy a good one and hunt my butt off with it.

I am the weapon. The gun is just a tool.

Last edited by burlesontom on Wed 24 Oct - 10:24; edited 1 time in total
Back to top Go down
Hylander

Hylander

PostSubject: Re: New Thompson Hawken   New Thompson Hawken EmptyTue 23 Oct - 18:33

My Hawken is finally on it way, got the tracking number and it should be here this coming Monday.
I know it is not a real Hawken, but close enough for me.

I am checking out TVM for a Leman.
Going to see if they make any Half stock rifles.
Is there any builders out there that make a repro Hawken that won't make me refi my home

Pietta 1858 .44 with 45 Colt Conversion
Back to top Go down
BigAl52
Site Moderator
Site Moderator
BigAl52

Male Number of posts : 601
Registration date : 2016-02-03

PostSubject: Re: New Thompson Hawken   New Thompson Hawken EmptyTue 23 Oct - 20:40

Hylander how much do you want to spend on a custom built Hawken?

John Bergmann 50 cal Lancaster
John Bergmann 54 cal Hawken
GRRW 50 cal
GRRW 58 cal
Lyman GPR 54 cal flintlock L&R lock davis deerslayer trigger
Lyman Trade Rifle 54 cal
CVA Hawken 58 cal by Jonathan
Hawken Squirrel Rifle 40 cal by John Bergman
Pedersoli Penn Rifle 50 cal flintlock
Back to top Go down
Hylander

Hylander

PostSubject: Re: New Thompson Hawken   New Thompson Hawken EmptyTue 23 Oct - 20:57

@BigAl52 wrote:
Hylander how much do you want to spend on a custom built Hawken?

I would like to stay under a grand, that's why I was looking at the TVM kits.
However my work working skills are not very good.
Their completed rifles are not bad at $1,250
Back to top Go down
BigAl52
Site Moderator
Site Moderator
BigAl52

Male Number of posts : 601
Registration date : 2016-02-03

PostSubject: Re: New Thompson Hawken   New Thompson Hawken EmptyTue 23 Oct - 21:21

Ive talked several builders and many of the kits are right at or over a grand for just the parts. Stith kits along with Track of the Wolf kits will run you right at that. Al

John Bergmann 50 cal Lancaster
John Bergmann 54 cal Hawken
GRRW 50 cal
GRRW 58 cal
Lyman GPR 54 cal flintlock L&R lock davis deerslayer trigger
Lyman Trade Rifle 54 cal
CVA Hawken 58 cal by Jonathan
Hawken Squirrel Rifle 40 cal by John Bergman
Pedersoli Penn Rifle 50 cal flintlock
Back to top Go down
burlesontom

PostSubject: Re: New Thompson Hawken   New Thompson Hawken EmptyWed 24 Oct - 10:29

Hylander I have seen some nice half stock rifles for sale on Track Of The Wolf for just a little over your budget. Built and ready to go. I don't think the Hawken style rifles are as popular now as the full stock flint guns. But I could be wrong.

And after all the reading I have done I think I would prefer the Leman over the Hawken. They are just as historically accurate and maybe a tad lighter in weight. Neither one is ever a bad choice though.
Back to top Go down
Hylander

Hylander

PostSubject: Re: New Thompson Hawken   New Thompson Hawken EmptyMon 29 Oct - 23:15

Hawken arrived today  Very Happy
This rifle is like brand spanking new, not a mark and looks to be unfired.
Hopefully a range report tomorrow.

New Thompson Hawken Pix24710
New Thompson Hawken 20181010
Back to top Go down
Sparkitoff

Number of posts : 203
Registration date : 2018-06-08

PostSubject: Re: New Thompson Hawken   New Thompson Hawken EmptyTue 30 Oct - 8:09

Nice find - looking forward to range report!
Back to top Go down
burlesontom

PostSubject: Re: New Thompson Hawken   New Thompson Hawken EmptyTue 30 Oct - 10:21

I look on GB all the time and see quite a few rifles like your gun listed as unfired. The TC hawkens are excellent rifles and built like a tank. You will enjoy that rifle for a lifetime.
Back to top Go down
Hylander

Hylander

PostSubject: Re: New Thompson Hawken   New Thompson Hawken EmptyTue 30 Oct - 12:53

Well, Initial range report not good at all.
First off the nipple started peening right off to point of unuable after only 5 rounds, had to file and reshape it.
Shooting started great, first shot at 25yds. Dead center bull, next shot right next to it.
Moved to 50yds. and was all over the place.
Some patches blown apart.
60gr. FF
.490 ball
.020 pillow ticking, olive oil.
Tight fit.
About 3" groups
Up'ed it to 70gr. and the patches blew apart, groups 10-12" spread

Going to Joann's fabric today to get some .013 Ticking
I believe the T/C's need more ball and less patch.
From my last data with TC's I got best groups with .495 ball and .013 patch.
Will try:
50, 60 and 70gr. FF
.495 Ball
.013 ticking with pure Lamb Tallow.

Still going to get a slow twist, deep groove barrel.
Back to top Go down
burlesontom

PostSubject: Re: New Thompson Hawken   New Thompson Hawken EmptyTue 30 Oct - 14:01

Next time before you insert the ball use one lubed patch in the bore just past the muzzle. Then seat the patched ball. The extra patch works like a firewall. The extra patch will be burned up after firing but my ball patches look like they could be relubed and reused. I have been doing this for years and it really works.
Back to top Go down
Buck Conner
Site Moderator
Site Moderator
Buck Conner

Male Number of posts : 3406
Registration date : 2015-10-20

PostSubject: Re: New Thompson Hawken   New Thompson Hawken EmptyTue 30 Oct - 17:53

@burlesontom wrote:
Those TC Hawkens and New Englander and Renegade rifles may not have been what the Mountain Men carried. But if they had of had them they would have used them.

That's for you Buck. Evil or Very Mad :scucks Tease

New Thompson Hawken Images?q=tbn:ANd9GcToFhqOxKxXqvyf3I9TpCRh0tbkKEwlmI3K2FHdSO6bie2k97cR
TC Hawken isn't even close. 
"But if they had of had them they would have used them." 
Probably for firewood and horseshoe nails turd.

New Thompson Hawken Images?q=tbn:ANd9GcTQ54vh0vYhDNPK60cLxcyovgls64_ZJ0nPks9Q1SYG5oE6PIe3Ng
GRRW Hawken's were as close as one could get to an original.

Back to top Go down
burlesontom

PostSubject: Re: New Thompson Hawken   New Thompson Hawken EmptyTue 30 Oct - 18:41

Hey Buck are you calling someone here a "turd?

And just so you know your picture is of a Traditions rifle and not of the excellent TC built rifles. And Henry Leman built better rifles than the Hawkins did. t up
Back to top Go down
burlesontom

PostSubject: Re: New Thompson Hawken   New Thompson Hawken EmptyTue 30 Oct - 18:47

Hylander I got an email a couple of weeks ago from TOW and they had green Mountain drop in slow twist round ball barrels back in stock if you can't get your present barrel to shoot to your satisfaction. I believe the price was $269.00.
Back to top Go down
Hylander

Hylander

PostSubject: Re: New Thompson Hawken   New Thompson Hawken EmptyTue 30 Oct - 19:39

@burlesontom wrote:
Hylander I got an email a couple of weeks ago from TOW and they had green Mountain drop in slow twist round ball barrels back in stock if you can't get your present barrel to shoot to your satisfaction. I believe the price was $269.00.

Thanks,
Yes I saw that as well and may order one.
My preferred thing to do is find a 45 cal barrel to have rebored to 50 cal with a 1:56 twist deep groove.
Back to top Go down
burlesontom

PostSubject: Re: New Thompson Hawken   New Thompson Hawken EmptyTue 30 Oct - 19:56

I am a fan of the 1/56 twist myself. I first heard of it long ago in the Mountain State muzzle loading catalog. They sold a couple of rifles with that twist. Slow enough for a round ball but not so slow you need an extra powder charge to spin the ball fast enough for good accuracy.

That new gun I just bought that looks like the Cabelas Hawken with the 1/60 twist is supposed to have an .008 to.010 groove depth. At least according to my old Dixie catalog. That should work.

But I bet if you give your new Hawken a chance you can make it shoot. I have had a couple of them and 3 Renegades and thought they all shot pretty good.
Back to top Go down

New Thompson Hawken
Page 1 of 3Go to page : 1, 2, 3  Next

Permissions in this forum:You cannot reply to topics in this forum
Frontier Muzzleloading :: Muzzleloading Topic :: Traditional Muzzleloading-
Jump to: