Frontier Muzzleloading
Welcome to Frontier Muzzleloading!

Please take the time to either Register or Log In to your user name and join us!

Muzzleloading Forum

HomeFAQRegisterLog in

New Thompson Hawken

Go down 
Go to page : 1, 2  Next
AuthorMessage
Hylander

Hylander

Male Number of posts : 235
Registration date : 2017-11-07

New Thompson Hawken Empty
PostSubject: New Thompson Hawken   New Thompson Hawken Empty2018-10-15, 19:08

Well, New to me.
I couldn't hep myself tonight, this just seemed like a very good deal. I did confirm with the seller , no "K" in the serial number and it is not a kit gun.
So I hit the "Buy It Now" Button.

Thompson Hawken
Back to top Go down
Rick N Bama

Rick N Bama

Male Number of posts : 95
Location : North Alabama smack dab in the heart of Tornado Alley!
Registration date : 2017-11-23

PostSubject: Re: New Thompson Hawken   New Thompson Hawken Empty2018-10-15, 19:16

Now as you well know pictures are required or "it didn't happen" Smile  What does a "K" in a serial number mean?  Is that a bad thing?
Back to top Go down
Hylander

Hylander

PostSubject: Re: New Thompson Hawken   New Thompson Hawken Empty2018-10-15, 19:54

@Rick N Bama wrote:
Now as you well know pictures are required or "it didn't happen" Smile  What does a "K" in a serial number mean?  Is that a bad thing?

Click on the Red Hawken link in the OP for picks.
I will post up more picks when it gets here.
If the serial number starts with a "K" it is a kit rifle.
Thompson sold a lot of finished rifles and a lot of rifles in kit form for the end user to finish building.
Back to top Go down
FrontierGander
Site
Site
FrontierGander

Male Number of posts : 16345
Registration date : 2008-05-19

PostSubject: Re: New Thompson Hawken   New Thompson Hawken Empty2018-10-15, 20:06

I'd say its factory. At some point someone may have stripped the finish and done a much better job as the wood and finish is superb compared to the tc stuff. The lock panels are correct for a factory finish gun.
Back to top Go down
westexcruzer

Number of posts : 2
Registration date : 2018-10-20

PostSubject: Re: New Thompson Hawken   New Thompson Hawken Empty2018-10-20, 07:07

Congrats! I bought one from an individual a month ago, it had a few problems that were an easy fix. Can't beat a new gun day!
Back to top Go down
Kentucky Colonel

Kentucky Colonel

Male Number of posts : 1775
Registration date : 2015-10-28

PostSubject: Re: New Thompson Hawken   New Thompson Hawken Empty2018-10-20, 07:12

Nice! Sometimes you just can't help yourself. Laughing

Florida Muzzleloaders Association 
Central Florida Muzzleloaders 
Green River Rifle Works Collectors Association
NMLRA
Back to top Go down
burlesontom

Male Number of posts : 168
Registration date : 2018-04-10

PostSubject: Re: New Thompson Hawken   New Thompson Hawken Empty2018-10-20, 14:15

On another forum one poster is a real stickler for historical accuracy really went off on TC in general and TC Hawkens in particular. He made many points about how those guns are not real "Hawkens".

Me, I don't care. They are closer to the guns carried by the pioneers in their covered wagons headed west across the great plains and into Oregon and California. But they are wrongly called Hawkens.

But they are darn good guns. I have owned 3 or so of them and about 5 Renegade rifles. As far as I am concerned they are the "Rugers" of BP guns. Almost unbreakable and good shooters if loaded correctly. Very nice gun you have there. It will last you a lifetime.

I just redid a Renegade rifle that was a kit gun and the first builder screwed it up pretty bad. They rounded off the lock panels and left so much wood on the forearm that the barrel wedge barely made it through the gun. Here are a few pictures of it. I have it for sale on GB right now.

https://www.gunbroker.com/item/788591547
Back to top Go down
burlesontom

PostSubject: Re: New Thompson Hawken   New Thompson Hawken Empty2018-10-20, 14:22

Those TC Hawkens and New Englander and Renegade rifles may not have been what the Mountain Men carried. But if they had of had them they would have used them.

Thats for you Buck. Evil or Very Mad :scucks Tease
Back to top Go down
Mofish

Number of posts : 88
Registration date : 2018-07-25

PostSubject: Re: New Thompson Hawken   New Thompson Hawken Empty2018-10-20, 16:29

You betcha....the Mountain Men would have jumped on a TC Hawken in a heartbeat if something like it was available then. Carrying on horseback would have been a lot easier with the lighter and shorter barrels from some of the stuff they used back then. 
A TC Hawken might not be the absolute best there is out there for any usage, but it is a pretty good middle ground weapon and does okay for most usage. I have owned a number of them over the years, but don't currently. I was sorry to see production stopped.
If more states would adopt the regs like they should, limiting muzzleloader hunting to side locks, they would probably become available again.
Back to top Go down
burlesontom

PostSubject: Re: New Thompson Hawken   New Thompson Hawken Empty2018-10-21, 10:55

Yep, I am all for locking down the use of inline rifles and making it sidelock only. Whats the point of having a primitive season if you aren't going to use a primitive style gun? At least limit it to open sights only. It wouldn't bother me if only flintlocks were allowed. I would buy a good one and hunt my butt off with it.

I am the weapon. The gun is just a tool.

Last edited by burlesontom on 2018-10-24, 10:24; edited 1 time in total
Back to top Go down
Hylander

Hylander

PostSubject: Re: New Thompson Hawken   New Thompson Hawken Empty2018-10-23, 18:33

My Hawken is finally on it way, got the tracking number and it should be here this coming Monday.
I know it is not a real Hawken, but close enough for me.

I am checking out TVM for a Leman.
Going to see if they make any Half stock rifles.
Is there any builders out there that make a repro Hawken that won't make me refi my home

Pietta 1858 .44 with 45 Colt Conversion
Back to top Go down
BigAl52
Site Moderator
Site Moderator
BigAl52

Male Number of posts : 609
Registration date : 2016-02-03

PostSubject: Re: New Thompson Hawken   New Thompson Hawken Empty2018-10-23, 20:40

Hylander how much do you want to spend on a custom built Hawken?

John Bergmann 50 cal Lancaster
John Bergmann 54 cal Hawken
GRRW 50 cal
GRRW 58 cal
Lyman GPR 54 cal flintlock L&R lock davis deerslayer trigger
Lyman Trade Rifle 54 cal
CVA Hawken 58 cal by Jonathan
Hawken Squirrel Rifle 40 cal by John Bergman
Pedersoli Penn Rifle 50 cal flintlock
Back to top Go down
Hylander

Hylander

PostSubject: Re: New Thompson Hawken   New Thompson Hawken Empty2018-10-23, 20:57

@BigAl52 wrote:
Hylander how much do you want to spend on a custom built Hawken?

I would like to stay under a grand, that's why I was looking at the TVM kits.
However my work working skills are not very good.
Their completed rifles are not bad at $1,250
Back to top Go down
BigAl52
Site Moderator
Site Moderator
BigAl52

PostSubject: Re: New Thompson Hawken   New Thompson Hawken Empty2018-10-23, 21:21

Ive talked several builders and many of the kits are right at or over a grand for just the parts. Stith kits along with Track of the Wolf kits will run you right at that. Al

GRRW 50 cal
GRRW 58 cal
Lyman Trade Rifle 54 cal
Back to top Go down
burlesontom

PostSubject: Re: New Thompson Hawken   New Thompson Hawken Empty2018-10-24, 10:29

Hylander I have seen some nice half stock rifles for sale on Track Of The Wolf for just a little over your budget. Built and ready to go. I don't think the Hawken style rifles are as popular now as the full stock flint guns. But I could be wrong.

And after all the reading I have done I think I would prefer the Leman over the Hawken. They are just as historically accurate and maybe a tad lighter in weight. Neither one is ever a bad choice though.
Back to top Go down
Hylander

Hylander

PostSubject: Re: New Thompson Hawken   New Thompson Hawken Empty2018-10-29, 23:15

Hawken arrived today  Very Happy
This rifle is like brand spanking new, not a mark and looks to be unfired.
Hopefully a range report tomorrow.

New Thompson Hawken Pix24710
New Thompson Hawken 20181010
Back to top Go down
Sparkitoff

Number of posts : 222
Registration date : 2018-06-08

PostSubject: Re: New Thompson Hawken   New Thompson Hawken Empty2018-10-30, 08:09

Nice find - looking forward to range report!
Back to top Go down
burlesontom

PostSubject: Re: New Thompson Hawken   New Thompson Hawken Empty2018-10-30, 10:21

I look on GB all the time and see quite a few rifles like your gun listed as unfired. The TC hawkens are excellent rifles and built like a tank. You will enjoy that rifle for a lifetime.
Back to top Go down
Hylander

Hylander

PostSubject: Re: New Thompson Hawken   New Thompson Hawken Empty2018-10-30, 12:53

Well, Initial range report not good at all.
First off the nipple started peening right off to point of unuable after only 5 rounds, had to file and reshape it.
Shooting started great, first shot at 25yds. Dead center bull, next shot right next to it.
Moved to 50yds. and was all over the place.
Some patches blown apart.
60gr. FF
.490 ball
.020 pillow ticking, olive oil.
Tight fit.
About 3" groups
Up'ed it to 70gr. and the patches blew apart, groups 10-12" spread

Going to Joann's fabric today to get some .013 Ticking
I believe the T/C's need more ball and less patch.
From my last data with TC's I got best groups with .495 ball and .013 patch.
Will try:
50, 60 and 70gr. FF
.495 Ball
.013 ticking with pure Lamb Tallow.

Still going to get a slow twist, deep groove barrel.
Back to top Go down
burlesontom

PostSubject: Re: New Thompson Hawken   New Thompson Hawken Empty2018-10-30, 14:01

Next time before you insert the ball use one lubed patch in the bore just past the muzzle. Then seat the patched ball. The extra patch works like a firewall. The extra patch will be burned up after firing but my ball patches look like they could be relubed and reused. I have been doing this for years and it really works.
Back to top Go down
Buck Conner
Site Moderator
Site Moderator
Buck Conner

Male Number of posts : 3490
Registration date : 2015-10-20

PostSubject: Re: New Thompson Hawken   New Thompson Hawken Empty2018-10-30, 17:53

@burlesontom wrote:
Those TC Hawkens and New Englander and Renegade rifles may not have been what the Mountain Men carried. But if they had of had them they would have used them.

That's for you Buck. Evil or Very Mad :scucks Tease

New Thompson Hawken Images?q=tbn:ANd9GcToFhqOxKxXqvyf3I9TpCRh0tbkKEwlmI3K2FHdSO6bie2k97cR
TC Hawken isn't even close. 
"But if they had of had them they would have used them." 
Probably for firewood and horseshoe nails turd.

New Thompson Hawken Images?q=tbn:ANd9GcTQ54vh0vYhDNPK60cLxcyovgls64_ZJ0nPks9Q1SYG5oE6PIe3Ng
GRRW Hawken's were as close as one could get to an original.

Back to top Go down
burlesontom

PostSubject: Re: New Thompson Hawken   New Thompson Hawken Empty2018-10-30, 18:41

Hey Buck are you calling someone here a "turd?

And just so you know your picture is of a Traditions rifle and not of the excellent TC built rifles. And Henry Leman built better rifles than the Hawkins did. t up
Back to top Go down
burlesontom

PostSubject: Re: New Thompson Hawken   New Thompson Hawken Empty2018-10-30, 18:47

Hylander I got an email a couple of weeks ago from TOW and they had green Mountain drop in slow twist round ball barrels back in stock if you can't get your present barrel to shoot to your satisfaction. I believe the price was $269.00.
Back to top Go down
Hylander

Hylander

PostSubject: Re: New Thompson Hawken   New Thompson Hawken Empty2018-10-30, 19:39

@burlesontom wrote:
Hylander I got an email a couple of weeks ago from TOW and they had green Mountain drop in slow twist round ball barrels back in stock if you can't get your present barrel to shoot to your satisfaction. I believe the price was $269.00.

Thanks,
Yes I saw that as well and may order one.
My preferred thing to do is find a 45 cal barrel to have rebored to 50 cal with a 1:56 twist deep groove.
Back to top Go down
burlesontom

PostSubject: Re: New Thompson Hawken   New Thompson Hawken Empty2018-10-30, 19:56

I am a fan of the 1/56 twist myself. I first heard of it long ago in the Mountain State muzzle loading catalog. They sold a couple of rifles with that twist. Slow enough for a round ball but not so slow you need an extra powder charge to spin the ball fast enough for good accuracy.

That new gun I just bought that looks like the Cabelas Hawken with the 1/60 twist is supposed to have an .008 to.010 groove depth. At least according to my old Dixie catalog. That should work.

But I bet if you give your new Hawken a chance you can make it shoot. I have had a couple of them and 3 Renegades and thought they all shot pretty good.
Back to top Go down
Buck Conner
Site Moderator
Site Moderator
Buck Conner

PostSubject: Re: New Thompson Hawken   New Thompson Hawken Empty2018-10-31, 09:26

@burlesontom wrote:
And just so you know your picture is of a Traditions rifle and not of the excellent TC built rifles.

And Henry Leman built better rifles than the Hawkins did. t up

They were pictures to show profiles, I have handled, sold or traded for more TC firearms than anyone combined on this list. When still in business we had two buyers hitting every estate sale, farm sales or ads in the local newspapers buying inexpensive muzzleloaders. I had deals with three large sporting goods stores in Northern Colorado that didn't like muzzleloaders (because of the additional inventory needed for them). They would take them in trade and then trade them to me for modern guns we had gotten in trade and didn't want to sell in our operation (win - win for all parties). In the 80's and 90's an average TC found at a sale could be bought for $50-$60 dollars in good condition. As soon as they hit the door one of our guys would tear them down, clean all the metal parts, soak the barrels, touch up bluing, pull dents out of the stocks then give then some Birchwood Casey stock finish. If they came in mid week they were on the sales rack for the weekend and sold by Sunday night. 

A $50 dollar gun would bring $150 after being cleaned up, had a friend remark we were "charging to much".  Once we explained commission fee, time involved in making the gun correct (sometimes need missing parts) then sitting on the rack until sold was all involved. If they still wanted to talk about costs compared to sales cost I would say "someone needs to pay to turn the lights on", that ended the conversation. 

I have handled a few original Hawken rifles, the best one was the Medina rifle (his daughter was buried on our property just a few miles from his trading post on the Big Thompson.

I agree H.E. Leman was a better built rifle (mainly because of having machinery that performed different function in the build). We have own several Lemans, in fact I have two originals hanging on the wall in my office. Know a little bit about them seeing how a family member owned a machine shop in Lancaster PA when Leman was still in business there (lots of old tales).   t up

The trouble with this stuff is when your younger it's all about money, when you get older you kick yourself in the butt for not saving some of these guns. Same with cars owned, have had some new cars, then sold them and now I watch theses auctions and see a car I paid $4,000 for in the day bring $75,000 or more.  headslap

Back to top Go down
Renegadehunter

Renegadehunter

Male Number of posts : 105
Registration date : 2018-10-12

PostSubject: Re: New Thompson Hawken   New Thompson Hawken Empty2018-10-31, 10:49

Perhaps it hasn't ever been shot and still has some sharp edges in the rifling?  I'm just wondering if it's tearing the patches due to the barrel needing broke in still.  Try loading a patched ball and then pull it again and see what the patch looks like.
Back to top Go down
burlesontom

PostSubject: Re: New Thompson Hawken   New Thompson Hawken Empty2018-10-31, 11:00

Hey Buck sounds like you had a good thing going. I used to do that on a much smaller scale. I would buy guns, everyone knew I was good for quick cash on a gun if the price were right. Then I would clean them and resell. If I could make 50-75 bucks on the gun I was happy.

And I really don't know if Lemans were better than Hawkens, I was just pullin'yer chain. Tease

I am reading the Muzzleloading Caplock Rifle right now and Ned Roberts stated the Hawken rifles were the "Ne Plus Ultra" of those type of guns. I wish I could handle one of Hawkens and Leman rifles just to see for myself. I was supposed to make a trip to Dixie Gunworks last summer but it all fell through. I wanted to at least see these guns up close for myself.
Back to top Go down
Buck Conner
Site Moderator
Site Moderator
Buck Conner

PostSubject: Re: New Thompson Hawken   New Thompson Hawken Empty2018-10-31, 11:35

@Renegadehunter wrote:
Perhaps it hasn't ever been shot and still has some sharp edges in the rifling?  I'm just wondering if it's tearing the patches due to the barrel needing broke in still.  Try loading a patched ball and then pull it again and see what the patch looks like.

You may want to look at Jonathan's products to cure your problem.

Back to top Go down
Sparkitoff

Number of posts : 222
Registration date : 2018-06-08

PostSubject: Re: New Thompson Hawken   New Thompson Hawken Empty2018-10-31, 11:47

What I like about the Renegade platform is the flat/wide butt-plate and the lack of cheek comb. Some people complain about the drop and felt recoil on their face but I don't experience that. In my case I put a GM barrel and L&R lock on a Renegade stock to make what I wanted.
Back to top Go down
Buck Conner
Site Moderator
Site Moderator
Buck Conner

PostSubject: Re: New Thompson Hawken   New Thompson Hawken Empty2018-10-31, 11:55

@burlesontom wrote:
Hey Buck sounds like you had a good thing going. I used to do that on a much smaller scale. I would buy guns, everyone knew I was good for quick cash on a gun if the price were right. Then I would clean them and resell. If I could make 50-75 bucks on the gun I was happy.

And I really don't know if Lemans were better than Hawkens, I was just pullin'yer chain. Tease

I am reading the Muzzleloading Caplock Rifle right now and Ned Roberts stated the Hawken rifles were the "Ne Plus Ultra" of those type of guns. I wish I could handle one of Hawkens and Leman rifles just to see for myself. I was supposed to make a trip to Dixie Gunworks last summer but it all fell through. I wanted to at least see these guns up close for myself.

You were doing the same as us and about the same profit margin.

GRRW had the original Jim Bridger's Hawken on loan for them as well as several other famous mountainmen Hawkens to make schematic drawings (now available at Track of the Wolf). When GRRW closed Doc White cut a deal with TOTW and traded the schematic drawings of original Hawkens and Leman rifles for parts.

Carl Walker and Les Bennett (GRRW gunsmiths) tolds me the Jim Bridger's Hawken had issues from the factory. They pulled the breech plug and found the rifling machine got off and left the first 6 inches from the breech clean (no rifling). They found a few other minor items, but didn't go into detail. Carl said even back then, time was money, fix the mistake and sell the gun (they felt guns today are better than their counterparts). The guys at GRRW felt what they saw of originals (Hawken and Leman), Lemans had less issues.

Fun stuff bud.   :rtup

Back to top Go down
burlesontom

PostSubject: Re: New Thompson Hawken   New Thompson Hawken Empty2018-10-31, 12:47

You have some great stories Buck. I wish Burleson Tx was a little closer to Lehi Utah. I would to sit and listen to some of your stories.
Back to top Go down
Buck Conner
Site Moderator
Site Moderator
Buck Conner

PostSubject: Re: New Thompson Hawken   New Thompson Hawken Empty2018-10-31, 14:14

The sad thing is I only tell you the good stuff, don't like to repeat the crap that went south and there were some pretty good ones over the years.   No   pale  That was the material things, the ladies - now that's a different story ...  affraid   :wow

Back to top Go down
Renegadehunter

Renegadehunter

Male Number of posts : 105
Registration date : 2018-10-12

PostSubject: Re: New Thompson Hawken   New Thompson Hawken Empty2018-10-31, 16:15

@Buck Conner wrote:
@Renegadehunter wrote:

You may want to look at Jonathan's products to cure your problem.

I'm not sure what you mean?
I was referring to Hylander's post about the range report not being good, and that some of the patches were blown apart.  In a previous post he said the rifle looks to be unfired.  I was suggesting that perhaps it truly was unfired and therefore needs the barrel broke in, as I've heard of some rifles having some sharp edges until they are fired a couple hundred times.  If its a "new" barrel it could be cutting the patches, thus causing his accuracy issues.  Wouldn't hurt to check before throwing a bunch of different patch thicknesses, lubes, etc. at it.
Back to top Go down
Mofish

PostSubject: Re: New Thompson Hawken   New Thompson Hawken Empty2018-10-31, 16:43

Please excuse my photos, I'm not too adept in the skills of picture taking. I just thought some of you might like to see what I consider more of the style of the original Hawkens. This full stock model has a 1" barrel and it's 35" long...so it is fairly heavy and I personally think it would be a project to carry it on a horse. 
I good friend, that is no longer with us, gave me a Sharon barrel and the full stock blank to build a rifle with. I gave it to another friend that is a great muzzleloader builder and he put this together for me. It is a .50 caliber with a 1x60 twist and shoots like a champ.
New Thompson Hawken V5dK5vWl
New Thompson Hawken 9j9P9mnl
New Thompson Hawken ZAVWS0Al
Back to top Go down
Mofish

PostSubject: Re: New Thompson Hawken   New Thompson Hawken Empty2018-10-31, 16:45

A couple more pics:
New Thompson Hawken WJWMs5kl
New Thompson Hawken O1XWuskl
Back to top Go down
burlesontom

PostSubject: Re: New Thompson Hawken   New Thompson Hawken Empty2018-10-31, 17:03

@Buck Conner wrote:
The sad thing is I only tell you the good stuff, don't like to repeat the crap that went south and there were some pretty good ones over the years.   No   pale  That was the material things, the ladies - now that's a different story ...  affraid   :wow

Buck I was wondering when someone would use that squirrel thingy. I have been looking for just the right place to use it but you nailed it.  t up

Mofish your gun is stunning. And the weight of a sure 'nuff Hawken is what keeps me from pursuing getting one. I got to handle one old original half stock of some sort and I bet that sucker weighed 13 pounds if it weighed a pound.

I guess if you were deer hunting and forgot your balls you could just climb up a tree and wait for a deer to walk under you and just drop the rifle on him. That should do it. cheers
Back to top Go down
Mofish

PostSubject: Re: New Thompson Hawken   New Thompson Hawken Empty2018-10-31, 17:54

Being an old guy, it can be a little tough sometimes, but I still try to shoot a match once a month. I let this Hawken sit in a safe for about 5 yrs. before I even started shooting it, and opted for stuff like some of my .40's and .45's to use in the matches. But considering the fact that I don't know how many years I have left to compete and enjoy my rifles, I pulled it out about 6 months back and started shooting it in the matches. 
After all I decided I should enjoy it now instead of someone else getting to enjoy it after I am gone !
Back to top Go down
BigAl52
Site Moderator
Site Moderator
BigAl52

PostSubject: Re: New Thompson Hawken   New Thompson Hawken Empty2018-10-31, 19:14

Very nice rifle Mofish

GRRW 50 cal
GRRW 58 cal
Lyman Trade Rifle 54 cal
Back to top Go down
BigAl52
Site Moderator
Site Moderator
BigAl52

PostSubject: Re: New Thompson Hawken   New Thompson Hawken Empty2018-10-31, 19:32

Read thru some of this thread and have been following it. Comments made on other forums about accuracy of the TC being a Hawken. Tom says who cares. My thoughts exactly. I dont care what was accurate and Im not thinking TC even cared when they built the gun. When someone says that to me there overlooking the fact that there was a great interest in those guns. TC made a bunch of them Renegades, Hawkens, Senacas, Penn, and other models. It sparked an interest into muzzleloading and I for one would have not ever gotten into muzzleloading when I did if it hadnt been for TC. I wonder how many other guys followed there lead into the sport. Im betting there isnt very many guys shooting muzzleloaders that havent had a TC in there house at one time or another. Just my .02 worth YMMV

GRRW 50 cal
GRRW 58 cal
Lyman Trade Rifle 54 cal
Back to top Go down
burlesontom

PostSubject: Re: New Thompson Hawken   New Thompson Hawken Empty2018-10-31, 19:53

BigAl your thoughts are spot on. I actually started with a Cabelas Hawken but a copy of the TC rifle. To my eyes it looked good. I looked like a mountain man rifle. It loaded like one and shot a big round ball and did a damn good job of it once I learned how to load it. I killed an Elk with that rifle. And I have owned several TC guns in the past. The one I regret selling the most was the 36 caliber Seneca I had. What a great little rifle that was. But I know where the guy lives that bought it. He said he has never fired it. I may have to offer him a nice profit and get my old gun back.

I would to have a more accurate traditional style rifle. A TVM Southern rifle looks really good to me. But I don't know if I want to spend the money for one. The rifles I own now are nice and will do everything the TVM will do.

By the way I have been meaning to ask, is that you with your Super Cub in your avitar? For a while the guy I took a few lessons from was flying the second oldest airworthy J-3 in the U.S. He is over 80 now and I suppose a little too shakey to be flying. But I would love to ride in a cub. I fly RC models and I have modeled more Cubs than any other plane. One was a quarter scale with a 9'3" wingspan. A big baby to fly.
Back to top Go down
mlrifleNY

mlrifleNY

Male Number of posts : 20
Registration date : 2017-09-25

PostSubject: Re: New Thompson Hawken   New Thompson Hawken Empty2018-11-01, 06:59

I started with a TC Hawken. Started going to shoots and it has been all fun for over 40 years. Sadly I have sold all the store bought rifles and have only custom longrifles that I built. Wish I still had some of the oud rifles back.

Jim

44 mag Henry BBB
1860 Henry in 45 colt
45-70 Henry in Brass
Back to top Go down
Buck Conner
Site Moderator
Site Moderator
Buck Conner

PostSubject: Re: New Thompson Hawken   New Thompson Hawken Empty2018-11-01, 11:52

@BigAl52 wrote:

Comments made on other forums about accuracy of the TC being a Hawken. 

Back in the late 80's at the Colorado State Muzzle Loading Association Championship Shoot at Leadville CO. we had some of the shooters crying about "its another Ron Long shoot" (because Ron was the top guy to beat). I'm President of the association, when the 6 guy came to me about this I got pissed.

I went to "Traders Row" talked to the dealers making a deal with them for (7) TC Hawkens in .50 caliber (most popular caliber), the State would buy these guns. If need be I'll cover the costs.

We setup a long table and placed the boxes on the table, called the six cry babies over and let them stare at the (7) boxes. Then told them they needed to pick a gun, last gun left is the one Ron Long will shoot. Gave each of them a practice target and a match target. This was on a Wed. afternoon, the Ron Long Shoot would be held at 11AM on Thur (next day). They had that afternoon and the next morning using whatever combination of round ball/patch and powder they wanted. 

The match (50 yards) went well with everyone shooting the same production TC in the same caliber, I told them "no filing on these guns as they would be used as shoot prizes at other events." 

Needless to say Ron shot a perfect score 50-XXXXX, the best next score was a 45-XX, the rest were way below that. No more crying at our events.  The Denver Post wrote "Mr. Ron Long of our city shot a perfect score."  

That didn't set well with some, so in the next CSMLA Journal I wrote. "No matter what the match, if Ron Long is involved (taking part) whether shooting, rock throwing or a spitting contest, he'll kick your butt."  "The reason I say this is he practices for whatever he enters, and that's the key to his success, period."

Back to top Go down
mlrifleNY

mlrifleNY

PostSubject: Re: New Thompson Hawken   New Thompson Hawken Empty2018-11-01, 13:01

I always worked to beat the ones that won almost all the time. It took work but after a number of years practicing I started to out score many of them. I still go to a few shoots but I no longer worry about out shooting anyone. I don't practice but only at shoots and I am there just to have fun now days. I still win my fair share of matches. Seams some people want to complain rather than put in the work in 
 it takes.

Jim

44 mag Henry BBB
1860 Henry in 45 colt
45-70 Henry in Brass
Back to top Go down
Buck Conner
Site Moderator
Site Moderator
Buck Conner

PostSubject: Re: New Thompson Hawken   New Thompson Hawken Empty2018-11-01, 13:12

@mlrifleNY wrote:
I always worked to beat the ones that won almost all the time. It took work but after a number of years practicing I started to out score many of them. I still go to a few shoots but I no longer worry about out shooting anyone. I don't practice but only at shoots and I am there just to have fun now days. I still win my fair share of matches. Seams some people want to complain rather than put in the work in it takes.

Jim

I'm like you at this age and agree about those that don't put in the time at the range. I go to the local range and see guys either shooting a Glock (held on it's side) and not hitting an archery target at 25 yards or those just standing around bad mouthing the guy shooting.  

The fastest way to make them move on is fire a few rounds of black powder then they are telling me "that gun stinks".   Tease

Back to top Go down
Kentucky Colonel

Kentucky Colonel

PostSubject: Re: New Thompson Hawken   New Thompson Hawken Empty2018-11-01, 14:44

@BigAl52 wrote:
... Im betting there isnt very many guys shooting muzzleloaders that havent had a TC in there house at one time or another...

Oh, noes! I feel like a nerd who hasn't ever seen Star Wars. 
I have not had a TC in my gun safe. ) : 

Should I seek donations? Laughing

NMLRA
Back to top Go down
mlrifleNY

mlrifleNY

PostSubject: Re: New Thompson Hawken   New Thompson Hawken Empty2018-11-01, 15:17

Should I seek donations? New Thompson Hawken Icon_lol
KC it's to late for donations and at 110 years old it just might be to late for most everything. bounce 

Jim

44 mag Henry BBB
1860 Henry in 45 colt
45-70 Henry in Brass
Back to top Go down
BigAl52
Site Moderator
Site Moderator
BigAl52

PostSubject: Re: New Thompson Hawken   New Thompson Hawken Empty2018-11-01, 21:41

Hey Tom
That plane is a Piper PA-12. It belongs to my sister who lives in Covington, Washington. Its a suburb of Kent. It has a larger than stock motor in it and flat gets with the program on take off. I have ridden in that plane up to the San Juan Islands in Northern Washington. She is currently tryin to sell it and has been for about a year. I also use to fly RC but gave it up about 15 years ago. To many hobbies and not enough time.

GRRW 50 cal
GRRW 58 cal
Lyman Trade Rifle 54 cal
Back to top Go down
Hylander

Hylander

PostSubject: Re: New Thompson Hawken   New Thompson Hawken Empty2018-11-01, 22:16

T/C Hawken 50 cal. was my first muzzle loader back in about 1994
Regardless of originality I have always liked the look and feel of them.
I have owned 3 now and two Lyman GP's, all in 50 cal.
I like the T/C's, just wish they cut the rifling deeper.
I may buy a T/C 45 cal. Hawken locally .
My plan would be to have the 45 rebored to 50 and the 50 rebored to 54.
I know to some it might seem a waste of time and money but it is what I like.

Pietta 1858 .44 with 45 Colt Conversion
Back to top Go down
Kentucky Colonel

Kentucky Colonel

PostSubject: Re: New Thompson Hawken   New Thompson Hawken Empty2018-11-02, 05:53

New Thompson Hawken EmptySubject: Re: New Thompson Hawken   New Thompson Hawken EmptyYesterday at 23:44New Thompson Hawken Icon_multiquote_off_en New Thompson Hawken Icon_post_quote_en New Thompson Hawken Icon_post_edit_en New Thompson Hawken Topic_delete2 New Thompson Hawken Icon_ip1

"Wait a minute KC I thought I seen you shooting a TC at one of youre shoots a while back while you was showin off that fancy range box." - Big Al

(Hides head)
I am shamed to admit that I mis identified a rifle. I embarrassed my ancestors by thinking a CVA was a TC. (I actually misremembered the brand of an old rifle I had and convinced myself it was a TC. It was a rifle I had had for years and saw no need to look closely again. I 'knew' what I had)

I have received some grief about that. Now, Al's steel trap memory has called me out here, too! Whoa is me! I will never escape the stigma! New Thompson Hawken Icon_sad 

As to my age? That is incorrect. I actually had a birthday. That should read older. I am spry for my age, eh? New Thompson Hawken Icon_wink If mentally questionable...

TC Donations will continue to be accepted. New Thompson Hawken Icon_lolNew Thompson Hawken Icon_lolNew Thompson Hawken Icon_lol

PS. I also accidentally obliterated Al's original post where he called me out! Sorry, Al.

NMLRA
Back to top Go down

New Thompson Hawken
Page 1 of 2Go to page : 1, 2  Next

Permissions in this forum:You cannot reply to topics in this forum
Frontier Muzzleloading :: Muzzleloading Topic :: Traditional Muzzleloading-
Jump to: