Frontier Muzzleloading
Welcome to Frontier Muzzleloading!

Please take the time to either Register or Log In to your user name and join us!

Muzzleloading Forum

HomeFAQRegisterLog in

Flint size

Go down 
AuthorMessage
Coalforge

Coalforge

Male Number of posts : 70
Registration date : 2016-07-20

Flint size Empty
PostSubject: Flint size   Flint size EmptyOctober 18th 2018, 12:16 am

How do I decide what size flint to use? I have a .50 cal with a L&R lock. I had one flint about 3/4 inch square but I messed it up and need to order more.
Back to top Go down
http://www.keystoneironworks.com/
brianpa

Number of posts : 1
Registration date : 2018-01-20

Flint size Empty
PostSubject: Re: Flint size   Flint size EmptyOctober 20th 2018, 5:09 pm

ut you rifle on half cock and close the frizzen  measure from the jaw screw to the frizzen  then measure the width of the jaw that can be just a touch wider but not much so it does not hit the barrel when fired. and the flint should be about a eighth of a inch off the frizzen when at half cock.  Track of the wolf web site has diagrams to show you and a fair amount of flints for sale.
   hope this helps
Back to top Go down
Coalforge

Coalforge

Flint size Empty
PostSubject: Re: Flint size   Flint size EmptyOctober 20th 2018, 9:09 pm

Thanks, brianpa.  This helps a lot.
Back to top Go down
Sparkitoff

Number of posts : 203
Registration date : 2018-06-08

Flint size Empty
PostSubject: Re: Flint size   Flint size EmptyOctober 21st 2018, 5:31 am

My L&R uses 5/8th. It is a RPL.  L&R will sell you a pack of flints that they feel are best for their lock, just call them and tell them what you have. I have found that if I get flints from them they will always provide outstanding phone support and never question me or my choice of flint. And, if something will not work right, they will ask you to send the lock for tuning at no charge.
Back to top Go down
burlesontom

Male Number of posts : 168
Registration date : 2018-04-10

Flint size Empty
PostSubject: Re: Flint size   Flint size EmptyOctober 21st 2018, 11:00 am

Thanks for the information Brianpa and sparkitoff. I don't have a flintlock but if I get one I will have a little more knowledge. 

Actually I don't have a FL but I have it listed for sale. A Lyman Trade Rifle that is unfired. But I am selling a few of my guns and considering getting a TVM Southern rifle in flint if they will build it like I want it. The one above the "basic" model. But I have to sell a few guns first.

If my guns don't sell I may get Lyman out and order some flints for it and give it a try.
Back to top Go down
Coalforge

Coalforge

Flint size Empty
PostSubject: Re: Flint size   Flint size EmptyOctober 27th 2018, 10:25 pm

@Sparkitoff wrote:
My L&R uses 5/8th. It is a RPL.  L&R will sell you a pack of flints that they feel are best for their lock, just call them and tell them what you have. I have found that if I get flints from them they will always provide outstanding phone support and never question me or my choice of flint. And, if something will not work right, they will ask you to send the lock for tuning at no charge.
I sent an email to L&R. They responded right back and requested a photo of the lock. I sent the photo and I had a reply the following morning. They said it was a Late English style lock and they had the flints. (At a lower price than ToW.) I'm quite impressed with the quick, helpful response from their customer service.
Back to top Go down
Sparkitoff

Number of posts : 203
Registration date : 2018-06-08

Flint size Empty
PostSubject: Re: Flint size   Flint size EmptyOctober 28th 2018, 3:08 am

I'm glad that was helpful. I have only had one dealing with them when I got the lock and flints, but they were very professional and I am satisfied with both the lock and the flints. I will be a return customer for sure.
Back to top Go down
Rifleman1776

Number of posts : 23
Registration date : 2018-07-04

Flint size Empty
PostSubject: Re: Flint size   Flint size EmptyNovember 10th 2018, 12:22 pm

@Coalforge wrote:
@Sparkitoff wrote:
I sent an email to L&R. They responded right back and requested a photo of the lock. I sent the photo and I had a reply the following morning. They said it was a Late English style lock and they had the flints. (At a lower price than ToW.) I'm quite impressed with the quick, helpful response from their customer service.
Be sure to specify you want flat flints. None of those with the big 'humpies' on them.
Back to top Go down
BigAl52
Site Moderator
Site Moderator
BigAl52

Male Number of posts : 598
Registration date : 2016-02-03

Flint size Empty
PostSubject: Re: Flint size   Flint size EmptyNovember 11th 2018, 9:22 am

One thing I did was buy a couple diamond wheels from amazon that you can use in a Dremel. Those wheels work real good at taking those humps off flints that might not fit right in the jaws. You can also use it to sharpen the edge over.

John Bergmann 50 cal Lancaster
John Bergmann 54 cal Hawken
GRRW 50 cal
GRRW 58 cal
Lyman GPR 54 cal flintlock L&R lock davis deerslayer trigger
Lyman Trade Rifle 54 cal
CVA Hawken 58 cal by Jonathan
Hawken Squirrel Rifle 40 cal by John Bergman
Pedersoli Penn Rifle 50 cal flintlock
Back to top Go down

Flint size
Page 1 of 1