Frontier Muzzleloading
Welcome to Frontier Muzzleloading!

Please take the time to either Register or Log In to your user name and join us!

Muzzleloading Forum

HomeFAQRegisterLog in

HODGDON FIRESTAR PELLETS

Go down 
AuthorMessage
trapper50

Number of posts : 26
Registration date : 2018-10-03

HODGDON FIRESTAR PELLETS Empty
PostSubject: HODGDON FIRESTAR PELLETS   HODGDON FIRESTAR PELLETS EmptyOctober 22nd 2018, 9:23 pm

I HAD TO BUY THE FIRESTAR PELLETS I AM NEEDING TO KNOW HOW CAN I GET MY 150 GRN MAGNUM LOAD WITH THESE I THINK THAT I CAN USE 4 OF THE FIRESTARS THE PELLETS ARE 33 GRN EQ. TO A 50 GRN EQ IF ANY OF YA USE THESE LET ME KNOW

Last edited by trapper50 on November 8th 2018, 4:12 pm; edited 1 time in total
Back to top Go down
CVA Enthusiast

Number of posts : 43
Registration date : 2018-09-18

PostSubject: Re: HODGDON FIRESTAR PELLETS   HODGDON FIRESTAR PELLETS EmptyOctober 24th 2018, 5:45 pm

YES it not quite 150 grains it is 132 grains works well me I like 3 pellets for knocking down targets saves my arm for the actual hunt
Back to top Go down
trapper50

PostSubject: Re: HODGDON FIRESTAR PELLETS   HODGDON FIRESTAR PELLETS EmptyOctober 25th 2018, 12:36 am

I am gonna try them out today & i will post my results on here
Back to top Go down
muzzle-loader

muzzle-loader

Number of posts : 53
Registration date : 2014-05-01

PostSubject: Re: HODGDON FIRESTAR PELLETS   HODGDON FIRESTAR PELLETS EmptyNovember 1st 2018, 3:26 pm

What gun are you trying them in? On Hodgdon's load data, they actually consider 5 pellets a magnum load. I will say that I have used 5 pellets and the velocity and recoil were both incredibly high. We also verified this with Hodgdon as well.

HODGDON FIRESTAR PELLETS Logo15
Back to top Go down
http://www.muzzle-loaders.com
redear

Number of posts : 73
Registration date : 2016-12-12

PostSubject: Re: HODGDON FIRESTAR PELLETS   HODGDON FIRESTAR PELLETS EmptyNovember 1st 2018, 10:58 pm

I want to try these pellets because the regular triple 7 pellets do great in my wolf, but I never could find anyone like you all that has tried them, and also I didn't want to lose any barrel length due to the three pellet length of the load. maybe next year. I also couldn't see a manufacture date on the back of the package like I do on the boxed pellets, I don't like that aspect, you need to get fresh triple 7 pellets every year, and there is no way of knowing with these.
Back to top Go down
Kentucky Colonel

Kentucky Colonel

Male Number of posts : 1774
Registration date : 2015-10-28

PostSubject: Re: HODGDON FIRESTAR PELLETS   HODGDON FIRESTAR PELLETS EmptyNovember 2nd 2018, 5:23 am

I have a friend who is hell bent on using pellets in his new Ruger Old Army. I had suggested 777 powder. I've not used the pellets myself. Why not simply use the powder? What is the pay off you are looking for?

Note: I have been a strict acolyte of the Holy Black. I was scarred in my youth by the evils of Pyrodex. Recently, however, I am tentatively testing the waters with synthetic by using 777 cautiously. I like what I see so far.

Florida Muzzleloaders Association 
Central Florida Muzzleloaders 
Green River Rifle Works Collectors Association
NMLRA
Back to top Go down
muzzle-loader

muzzle-loader

Number of posts : 53
Registration date : 2014-05-01

PostSubject: Re: HODGDON FIRESTAR PELLETS   HODGDON FIRESTAR PELLETS EmptyNovember 2nd 2018, 9:19 am

@redear wrote:
I want to try these pellets because the regular triple 7 pellets do great in my wolf, but I never could find anyone like you all that has tried them, and also I didn't want to lose any barrel length due to the three pellet length of the load. maybe next year. I also couldn't see a manufacture date on the back of the package like I do on the boxed pellets, I don't like that aspect, you need to get fresh triple 7 pellets every year, and there is no way of knowing with these.
If you're using a Wolf, I probably would say that the 5 pellet load of FireStars aren't going to be worth trying. With that short of a barrel, there's a high probability that your gun won't burn all of the powder before the bullet is out of the bore. When comparing 3 pellets of Firestars with 2 pellets of IMR White Hots, the Firestars have been faster and cleaner. You may not need to worry about the extra pellets because of the added velocity.

@Kentucky Colonel wrote:
I have a friend who is hell bent on using pellets in his new Ruger Old Army. I had suggested 777 powder. I've not used the pellets myself. Why not simply use the powder? What is the pay off you are looking for?

Note: I have been a strict acolyte of the Holy Black. I was scarred in my youth by the evils of Pyrodex. Recently, however, I am tentatively testing the waters with synthetic by using 777 cautiously. I like what I see so far.
Loose powder is definitely the more exact way to shoot, but most people use pellets due to pure simplicity. You end up buying fewer accessories since all you really need are speed loaders and you're good to go. The biggest reason that people are shooting pellets is the fact that there's no real effort involved in just grabbing 2 or 3 pellets and popping them down your barrel. With the accuracy with some of the newer pellets, I can see the allure, however, I am a big fan of Blackhorn 209 and haven't found a powder that will burn as clean at this point.

HODGDON FIRESTAR PELLETS Logo15
Back to top Go down
http://www.muzzle-loaders.com
trapper50

PostSubject: CVA Optima Stainless Black   HODGDON FIRESTAR PELLETS EmptyNovember 2nd 2018, 4:58 pm

I finally got to shoot my Optima V2 & it's everything i was hoping for hole to hole shots i am using the Firestar Pellets i only used the 3 pellet load i am a little nervous about uping the number of pellets I seen that a 5 pellet load would be well over the 150 grn my rifle is rated for & 5 pellets just scares me i couldn't find the regular T7 pellets or White Hots the store only had the Firestar pellets
Back to top Go down
redear

Number of posts : 73
Registration date : 2016-12-12

PostSubject: Re: HODGDON FIRESTAR PELLETS   HODGDON FIRESTAR PELLETS EmptyNovember 5th 2018, 10:03 pm

thank you all for chiming in! I would use the 3 pellet load with my wolf anyway if I tried it. The 295 power belt hp bullet works best with this gun and that bullet is soft, don't want to push it too fast.
Back to top Go down

HODGDON FIRESTAR PELLETS
Page 1 of 1

Permissions in this forum:You cannot reply to topics in this forum
Frontier Muzzleloading :: Muzzleloading Topic :: Modern Muzzleloading-
Jump to: