Frontier Muzzleloading
Welcome to Frontier Muzzleloading!

Please take the time to either Register or Log In to your user name and join us!

Muzzleloading Forum

HomeFAQRegisterLog in

Big Boar Hog Down

Go down 
AuthorMessage
falcon

falcon

Male Number of posts : 1546
Registration date : 2012-05-28

Big Boar Hog Down Empty
PostSubject: Big Boar Hog Down   Big Boar Hog Down EmptyNovember 1st 2018, 8:12 am

This boar and other hogs were chasing deer off a game plot.  Killed that hog the other evening.

Attitude: Broadside
Distance: About 75 yards
Rifle: .50 caliber TC Encore
Scope: 4X Zeiss
Bullet: 250 Grain SST in crush rib sabot
Powder: 120 grains of Black MZ
Primer: Winchester 209

Hog ran about 75 yards and collapsed. That is the exit wound. The 250 grain SST performs well on large hogs. When driven at a good velocity the bullet fragments, destroying the lungs and heart, sometimes the liver gets torn up.

Photo was taken several hours after the kill.

Big Boar Hog Down XI1eHWdb
Back to top Go down
Dead-Eye

Male Number of posts : 36
Registration date : 2016-10-10

Big Boar Hog Down Empty
PostSubject: Re: Big Boar Hog Down   Big Boar Hog Down EmptyNovember 8th 2018, 3:21 pm

Nice shot! When you're not taking a head shot on a hog (especially a big boar), you really need something that will do serious damage going in and coming out, because they are TOUGH!!
They say they have some big ol' hogs here in Alabama, but so far I haven't seen any! In Texas and OK you have to watch for them in the roads.

Jim
Back to top Go down
FrontierGander
Site
Site
FrontierGander

Male Number of posts : 16225
Registration date : 2008-05-19

Big Boar Hog Down Empty
PostSubject: Re: Big Boar Hog Down   Big Boar Hog Down EmptyNovember 8th 2018, 7:28 pm

thats a big ol hog Floyd! Congrats on that hunt!
Back to top Go down
https://www.frontiermuzzleloading.com
Kentucky Colonel

Kentucky Colonel

Male Number of posts : 1773
Registration date : 2015-10-28

Big Boar Hog Down Empty
PostSubject: Re: Big Boar Hog Down   Big Boar Hog Down EmptyNovember 9th 2018, 4:23 am

That is a gnarly old boar. I would shoot him at 75 yards, too! Very Happy
Nicely done.

Florida Muzzleloaders Association 
Central Florida Muzzleloaders 
Green River Rifle Works Collectors Association
NMLRA
Back to top Go down
falcon

falcon

Male Number of posts : 1546
Registration date : 2012-05-28

Big Boar Hog Down Empty
PostSubject: Re: Big Boar Hog Down   Big Boar Hog Down EmptyNovember 9th 2018, 9:04 am

A big hog shot through both lungs can run 200 yards.

Better to shoot low just behind the crook in the front leg. A hog is not built like a deer. Shooting a hog high in the neck is the wrong answer. They often go down like a poleaxed steer, lay there awhile, jump up and take off.

i've shot hogs with .22 LR, .22 magnum, several calibers of centerfire rifles and .50 and .54 caliber patched round balls. Most of my muzzleloader hogs were killed using the 250 grain SST bullet.

The subject of this thread lay on the ground for about five days before the coyotes found him. Last thing on the ground were the two "shields". They were about 1.5" thick with bullet holes through both.

Shot placement is everything; a gut shot is a gut shot regardless of weapon used.

http://matthewshunting.com/anatomy-wild-boar/
Back to top Go down
Dead-Eye

Male Number of posts : 36
Registration date : 2016-10-10

Big Boar Hog Down Empty
PostSubject: Re: Big Boar Hog Down   Big Boar Hog Down EmptyNovember 9th 2018, 9:21 am

My favorite hog shot (from the side) is Directly below the ear, one or two inches. I just line up on the ear hole, lower it a bit, and squeeze. They drop like a stone every time, and they don't get up.

I can't speak to the use of muzzleloaders on that subject, though, although my 45/70 is about the same caliber.

On the rare occasions I can't get that head-shot placement, I prefer to wait until I have a slight angle from the rear and tuck one in from behind the ribs.

Jim
Back to top Go down

Big Boar Hog Down
Page 1 of 1

Permissions in this forum:You cannot reply to topics in this forum
Frontier Muzzleloading :: The Hunting Lodge :: Off Topic-Hunting Lodge-
Jump to: