Frontier Muzzleloading
Welcome to Frontier Muzzleloading!

Please take the time to either Register or Log In to your user name and join us!

Muzzleloading Forum

HomeFAQRegisterLog in

Misfire! Firing Pin? (possible dupe)

Go down 
AuthorMessage
Mebits

Number of posts : 80
Registration date : 2014-03-18

Misfire! Firing Pin? (possible dupe) Empty
PostSubject: Misfire! Firing Pin? (possible dupe)   Misfire! Firing Pin? (possible dupe) EmptyNovember 1st 2018, 2:51 pm

So, I was lined up on a BIG buck and had a missfire. Just a pop, but no bang. He was gone by the time I found another primer (Win209). Afterward, I tried firing the gun again and it went off like a charm.

Before this, I had cleaned the flash channel well before I took it to the range, then fired two primers and 5 shots, later swabbed with a dry patch, then fired a primer, and two more shots, then had the misfire. Afterward, cleaned the flash channel (not bad) and fire hole and the gun went off fine.

I was and am disturbed and puzzled. But, for some unknown reason, before I went to clean it, I opened it up and dry fired it. The firing pin stayed out and I couldn't easily push it back in.

Could this be the cause of the misfire? A sticky firing pin? I noticed quite a bit of carbon on the breech plug. I'm pretty sure that I had a lot of carbon blown into and around the firing pin (this is on a Traditions Pursuit with a sealed trigger and firing pin assembly). I tried to get some Hoppes #9 into the hole and it eventually started moving easily, so I think I'm good if I keep this clean, but I'm unclear if I found the cause or just another confounding factor.

BTW, I tried to use the o-ring trick with the W209's, but I couldn't get the breech to close. They were loose anyway (too long and too narrow). I am switching back to the Fiocci's with the o-ring, while I search for some CCI's. They seem to fit tightly and the gun still closes.

I also placed one small drop of gun oil over the hole though I fear that such may encourage gunk.

Thoughts?

Mark
Back to top Go down
muzzle-loader

muzzle-loader

Number of posts : 53
Registration date : 2014-05-01

PostSubject: Re: Misfire! Firing Pin? (possible dupe)   Misfire! Firing Pin? (possible dupe) EmptyNovember 1st 2018, 3:31 pm

Hey Mark,

The only thing that I didn't read about was you removing and cleaning the firing pin. Did you also try this? If you're experiencing a sticky firing pin, cleaning that area could be the biggest issue. Also, putting gun oil on the firing pin will indeed attract powder residue. Usually, I clean my firing pin after every trip to the range by soaking it in the CVA Parts Soaker and then blow it off with compressed air. When reinstalling, I put anti-seize on the threads, but I do not add any other lubrication. 

If that isn't the case, it could also just be a bad primer. Most of the time, I use the CCI 209M's or the Federal 209A's, as they are hotter burning and do not require the o-ring.

I hope this helps you, but let us know how you make out.

Misfire! Firing Pin? (possible dupe) Logo15
Back to top Go down
http://www.muzzle-loaders.com
Mebits

PostSubject: Re: Misfire! Firing Pin? (possible dupe)   Misfire! Firing Pin? (possible dupe) EmptyNovember 1st 2018, 3:49 pm

@muzzle-loader wrote:
Hey Mark,

The only thing that I didn't read about was you removing and cleaning the firing pin. Did you also try this? If you're experiencing a sticky firing pin, cleaning that area could be the biggest issue. Also, putting gun oil on the firing pin will indeed attract powder residue..

The Traditions Pursuit UL has an enclosed trigger and firing pin assembly. I can't get at it (well, there's likely a way, but it doesn't seem easy and may be inadvisable).

So, I got enough Hoppe's in there to loosen it up again. But it seems to me like I'm going to want to blow out most of that oil. Will forced air do it, or do I need something like carb cleaner or Break Free?

M
Back to top Go down
muzzle-loader

muzzle-loader

Number of posts : 53
Registration date : 2014-05-01

PostSubject: Re: Misfire! Firing Pin? (possible dupe)   Misfire! Firing Pin? (possible dupe) EmptyNovember 1st 2018, 4:03 pm

My apologies, I was thinking of CVA instead of Traditions. To be safe, I would use some carb cleaner, followed by forced air. The air may be enough, but you're better off getting something in there to loosen it all up first.

Misfire! Firing Pin? (possible dupe) Logo15
Back to top Go down
http://www.muzzle-loaders.com
FrontierGander
Site
Site
FrontierGander

Male Number of posts : 16272
Registration date : 2008-05-19

PostSubject: Re: Misfire! Firing Pin? (possible dupe)   Misfire! Firing Pin? (possible dupe) EmptyNovember 2nd 2018, 5:12 pm

The fact that the primer went pop and the main charge did not ignite, easily tells me thats the loose primer fit. Had this issue on a Strikerfire and after installing a o ring into the primer pocket of the breech plug. Never an issue since then.

https://www.mcmaster.com/#9262k611/=rgsfbp

Also, I'd recommend pulling the rear section of the stock off and doing as Brad says above, use a spray cleaner and really go at it and let it soak. Spray into the firing pin hole as well. Follow up with a light gun oil like Barricade and spray the insides good and let it drip dry before re-assembly.

I'm almost certain that it is the loose fitting primers causing the loss of heat to the powder which is resulting in a misfire. It happens even with the BH209 breech plug from CVA due to the loose head space from time to time.
Back to top Go down
Mebits

PostSubject: Re: Misfire! Firing Pin? (possible dupe)   Misfire! Firing Pin? (possible dupe) EmptyNovember 6th 2018, 10:19 am

Thanks!
Back to top Go down
Mebits

PostSubject: Re: Misfire! Firing Pin? (possible dupe)   Misfire! Firing Pin? (possible dupe) EmptyNovember 11th 2018, 11:22 am

Ugh! I'm adding a post here so that you guys can see the progression. After cleaning my flash channel and flash hole very well (installed o-ring), and after cleaning the firing pin hole with hoppe's, forced air, and lubricant, I had the firing pin moving easily. I was going to hit it again with some carb cleaner as soon as I had some time, but I figured it was good for a few shots at the range and opening day. 

I want to the range on Friday, fired 2 fiocci primers then two shots. Literally in the same hole at 100 yds. I wanted to try a third, just to make sure I was that good. Loaded up, pulled the trigger, no boom. Just a gentle "pop". I couldn't even hear it with muffs on. I fired a few more primers, all with a soft pop. No evidence of blow by. All were black at the end (not white). I fired a couple more primers with the same result, pulled the o-ring out, tried a few more until I noticed the firing pin sticking (and saw a scratch on my breech plug. And the face was then black due to huge blowby. I benched the gun, obviously, but I need to get it going by the next month for muzzy season.

Is this all a function of the firing pin needing a serious, serious cleaning? Anything else I need to deal with? I'd drill out the flash hole, but it seems so clean that I'm doubtful that such is the issue.

Mebits
Back to top Go down
CVA Enthusiast

Number of posts : 43
Registration date : 2018-09-18

PostSubject: Re: Misfire! Firing Pin? (possible dupe)   Misfire! Firing Pin? (possible dupe) EmptyNovember 11th 2018, 4:07 pm

Eh as I read seems all I would say/direct has been said other than bad batch primers? I have had it happen with smokeless primers were garbage, enough spark  to make one think it is everything else when it is primers, not supplying enough.
Back to top Go down
Mebits

PostSubject: Re: Misfire! Firing Pin? (possible dupe)   Misfire! Firing Pin? (possible dupe) EmptyNovember 11th 2018, 4:32 pm

So, what are the odds of a bad batch of Win209 primers AND a bad batch of fiocci's?
Back to top Go down
CVA Enthusiast

Number of posts : 43
Registration date : 2018-09-18

PostSubject: Re: Misfire! Firing Pin? (possible dupe)   Misfire! Firing Pin? (possible dupe) EmptyNovember 11th 2018, 4:37 pm

2 different manufactures slim Fiocci`s are upper level I would not expect However Win209 those were the mentioned ones has happened only once, I stick to Fiocci or S&B
Back to top Go down
Mebits

PostSubject: Re: Misfire! Firing Pin? (possible dupe)   Misfire! Firing Pin? (possible dupe) EmptyNovember 11th 2018, 5:03 pm

I'll be moving to CCI's if and when I can find them.
Back to top Go down
bronko22000

Male Number of posts : 59
Registration date : 2016-03-22

PostSubject: Re: Misfire! Firing Pin? (possible dupe)   Misfire! Firing Pin? (possible dupe) EmptyJanuary 1st 2019, 8:49 am

Not to rain on your parade Mebits but it may be something more serious than fouling in the firing pin area.  You could possibly have a sliver of metal or other FOD in the firing pin assembly that is moving around in there and occasionally jamming up or making your firing pin stick. 
After a thorough cleaning, 2 brands of primers, the O-ring installation and everything else you could do, this seems like a logical conclusion.
I would be on the phone with Traditions and tell them you want a new trigger/firing pin assembly installed on your rifle.
Back to top Go down

Misfire! Firing Pin? (possible dupe)
Page 1 of 1

Permissions in this forum:You cannot reply to topics in this forum
Frontier Muzzleloading :: Muzzleloading Topic :: Modern Muzzleloading-
Jump to: