Frontier Muzzleloading
Welcome to Frontier Muzzleloading!

Please take the time to either Register or Log In to your user name and join us!

Muzzleloading Forum

HomeFAQRegisterLog in

Lyman great plains

Go down 
AuthorMessage
RLSMITH

Male Number of posts : 48
Registration date : 2018-07-14

Lyman great plains  Empty
PostSubject: Lyman great plains    Lyman great plains  Empty2018-11-02, 19:03

I just installed the front globe sight and the 57 gpr on my great plains rifle having trouble with sighting in help please.
Back to top Go down
RLSMITH

PostSubject: Re: Lyman great plains    Lyman great plains  Empty2018-11-03, 05:10

You know I joined this fourmn because I was told if a man loves muzzleloaders and round ball this was the place to learn and get help well I have to say I believe that may be true for some but a general rule don't believe it so good bye will figure it out on my own after 45 years of shooting guns should have known better than to look for help
Back to top Go down
Sparkitoff

Number of posts : 222
Registration date : 2018-06-08

PostSubject: Re: Lyman great plains    Lyman great plains  Empty2018-11-03, 07:59

What kind of help are you looking for?  I don't know if you are having trouble getting the sights adjusted or finding a combo of components for accuracy. Happy to help but need a little more info!
What twist, what caliber? Flintlock or Caplock?
Back to top Go down
RLSMITH

PostSubject: Re: Lyman great plains    Lyman great plains  Empty2018-11-03, 08:58

I put new sights on haveing trouble with rear sight the rifle is shooting about 12 inches high. 54 cal 1/60 twist round ball both sights is what Lyman said I needed the rifle is a great plains the sights are 57 gpr front is the 17aeu globe
Back to top Go down
FrontierGander
Site
Site
FrontierGander

Male Number of posts : 16345
Registration date : 2008-05-19

PostSubject: Re: Lyman great plains    Lyman great plains  Empty2018-11-03, 10:04

If its shooting that high and you are maxed out on rear sight adjustment, you will need a new Taller front sight. I think those rear sights are used often for big heavy conical bullets so this is most likely why you are shooting so high.

Despite is shooting high, how are the groups?
Back to top Go down
Sparkitoff

Number of posts : 222
Registration date : 2018-06-08

PostSubject: Re: Lyman great plains    Lyman great plains  Empty2018-11-03, 10:12

What is it's purpose?  In other words, if you are going to use it for 50-yard paper punching you might try a very light load - even 35 grains - and that may dial in. Otherwise, Brownell's sells a dovetail riser. You put it in the dovetail slot (and it has a set screw to tighten it down) and then your globe sight goes on the riser's dovetail.  They come in several heights. For 12" bottom you'd want at least 3 or 4 inches in either direction, so you'd need the second or third size up from the lowest.
Back to top Go down
burlesontom

Male Number of posts : 168
Registration date : 2018-04-10

PostSubject: Re: Lyman great plains    Lyman great plains  Empty2018-11-03, 10:31

@RLSMITH wrote:
You know I joined this fourmn because I was told if a man loves muzzleloaders and round ball this was the place to learn and get help well I have to say I believe that may be true for some but a general rule don't believe it so good bye will figure it out on my own after 45 years of shooting guns should have known better than to look for help
  I looked at  your first when when new but since you didn't say what the trouble you were having was I didn't post. I had no idea how to help without details and I guess no one else knew either.

But if you are shooting high either lower the rear sight or raise the front. Same as on any other gun. And Jon probably has is correct about the sights being geared for heavier conical bullets instead of round balls.

So its shooting high but how is it grouping. Moving the group is easy. Making the group tighter can be a lot harder.
Back to top Go down
hunting savage

Number of posts : 170
Registration date : 2014-05-03

PostSubject: Re: Lyman great plains    Lyman great plains  Empty2018-11-03, 21:00

Most of the time with williams sights they come in pairs front matches back or use to 5 years ago anyway
Back to top Go down

Lyman great plains
Page 1 of 1

Permissions in this forum:You cannot reply to topics in this forum
Frontier Muzzleloading :: Muzzleloading Topic :: Traditional Muzzleloading-
Jump to: