Frontier Muzzleloading
Welcome to Frontier Muzzleloading!

Please take the time to either Register or Log In to your user name and join us!

Muzzleloading Forum

HomeFAQRegisterLog in

Copper cleaing - Micro groove rifling

Go down 
AuthorMessage
FrontierGander
Site
Site
FrontierGander

Male Number of posts : 16313
Registration date : 2008-05-19

Copper cleaing - Micro groove rifling Empty
PostSubject: Copper cleaing - Micro groove rifling   Copper cleaing - Micro groove rifling EmptyNovember 8th 2018, 9:45 am

This darn thing is driving me crazy! I've used everything from Hoppes copper cleaner to sweets 7.62 and the copper in a micro groove barrel just will not come out. I've had it sitting over night and am using a bronze bore brush with little results. Any tricks or hardcore cleaners?
Back to top Go down
coyote1

Number of posts : 20
Registration date : 2014-02-05

PostSubject: Re: Copper cleaing - Micro groove rifling   Copper cleaing - Micro groove rifling EmptyNovember 22nd 2018, 10:40 pm

I have had good luck with Butch's bore shine. Run a couple soaked patches through the barrel and let it sit 5 or 10 minutes. Then run another wet patch through. I keep running wet patches until i get one that comes out with no blue color.
Back to top Go down
Clyde

Number of posts : 393
Registration date : 2011-11-27

PostSubject: Re: Copper cleaing - Micro groove rifling   Copper cleaing - Micro groove rifling EmptyNovember 23rd 2018, 9:51 am

I agree with this Butch's Bore Shine.  I just bought a 460 Magnum barrel for my T/C rifle since we can now hunt with straight wall cartridge rifles and I shoot 454 casull in it and it eats copper.  I tried Hoppes 9 bench rest and some others but that Butch's worked so well I had to shoot three rounds in it to build up the copper to return it to zero .
Back to top Go down
JLBSparks

Number of posts : 187
Registration date : 2015-03-04

PostSubject: Re: Copper cleaing - Micro groove rifling   Copper cleaing - Micro groove rifling EmptyNovember 23rd 2018, 11:35 am

Who carries Butch's Bore Shine? I'm not familiar with that product.

-Joe
Back to top Go down
coyote1

PostSubject: Re: Copper cleaing - Micro groove rifling   Copper cleaing - Micro groove rifling EmptyNovember 23rd 2018, 12:22 pm

Midway usa carries it. It's the best cleaner of all that i have tried.
Back to top Go down
JLBSparks

Number of posts : 187
Registration date : 2015-03-04

PostSubject: Re: Copper cleaing - Micro groove rifling   Copper cleaing - Micro groove rifling EmptyNovember 24th 2018, 11:33 am

Thanks. I need to get some for my .35.

-Joe
Back to top Go down
coyote1

PostSubject: Re: Copper cleaing - Micro groove rifling   Copper cleaing - Micro groove rifling EmptyNovember 24th 2018, 10:39 pm

You are welcome. .35 is an excellent caliber, i believe that will be the next one i get.
Back to top Go down
FrontierGander
Site
Site
FrontierGander

PostSubject: Re: Copper cleaing - Micro groove rifling   Copper cleaing - Micro groove rifling EmptyNovember 28th 2018, 12:23 pm

read a lot of reviews and they are saying that butches isnt worth spit for removing heavy copper deposits. This rifling is a real pain in the rear end to clean out it seems.
Back to top Go down
Hanshi

Hanshi

Male Number of posts : 344
Registration date : 2015-01-21

PostSubject: Re: Copper cleaing - Micro groove rifling   Copper cleaing - Micro groove rifling EmptyNovember 28th 2018, 3:07 pm

I found J&B bore paste works quite well.
Back to top Go down
http://www.martialartsusa.com
Idaholewis

Idaholewis

Number of posts : 451
Registration date : 2019-01-11

PostSubject: Re: Copper cleaing - Micro groove rifling   Copper cleaing - Micro groove rifling EmptyJanuary 12th 2019, 7:07 am

O
I have used Bore tech Eliminator copper remover for years and swear by that stuff, But it is no Faster than Hoppe’s Sweets, or Barnes CR10, But every bit as good, The BIG advantage to the Bore Tech Eliminator is it has a Pleasant smell, and is 100% Safe to leave coated in your Bore, in fact they Recommend it before Storing your Rifle. Totally Unlike Sweets and CR10 that will literally take your breath away from the HEAVY Ammonia. The Fastest stuff i have ever used it Janitorial strength ammonia, you have to be REALLY careful and not get it on anything besides in the Bore. Bolt action rifles are all i own, i use a Bore Guide that seals at the Chamber neck when cleaning, This keeps contaminants from being pulled back inside the Chamber and Action, everything is pushed straight through the Bore exiting the Muzzle, i never pull anything back, cleaning patches fall off at the Muzzle in a Trash can etc. placed under the Muzzle. Look up Bore Tech Eliminator, it has been around for many years now, and gets STELLAR Reviews :tup2

Full Copper Removal is a Funny thing, Some rifles do great on a Fully clean bore, and some do not. I have 1 Rifle that Requires 10-12 Fouler Shots after a Full copper removal Cleaning. Particular gun is my .308 Win, This Rifle is “WICKED” Accurate with my Handloads, and a Fouled Bore.

At the end of this Video i Shoot a 3 Shot Group with the .308, I hadn’t shot it since the season before so i figured i would kill 2 birds with 1 Stone on this outing, This Rifle will do this Day in and Day out, I shoot the .308 at the 5:30 mark in the Video
Back to top Go down
The author of this message was banned from the forum - See the message
yellowlab

Male Number of posts : 25
Registration date : 2016-12-21

PostSubject: Re: Copper cleaing - Micro groove rifling   Copper cleaing - Micro groove rifling EmptyJanuary 12th 2019, 8:39 am

I have a marlin 336 30/30 with micro groove, shoots great for 3 or 4 rounds after cleaning, then they start to spread out and after 8 or 10 they start to tumble. Clean it and its ok for a few rounds. Suspect copper fowling, Im watching for best copper removing method/product.
Back to top Go down
Hanshi

Hanshi

PostSubject: Re: Copper cleaing - Micro groove rifling   Copper cleaing - Micro groove rifling EmptyJanuary 12th 2019, 11:16 am

That was great accuracy with both guns.  What was the distance of the target?
Back to top Go down
FrontierGander
Site
Site
FrontierGander

PostSubject: Re: Copper cleaing - Micro groove rifling   Copper cleaing - Micro groove rifling EmptyJanuary 12th 2019, 12:12 pm

This marlin shoots damn good despite the bore being coppered up badly. I used wipe out and accelerator and that stuff took it out! Best stuff i ever used on copper fouling so far.

Last edited by FrontierGander on January 12th 2019, 12:58 pm; edited 1 time in total
Back to top Go down
Idaholewis

Idaholewis

Number of posts : 451
Registration date : 2019-01-11

PostSubject: Re: Copper cleaing - Micro groove rifling   Copper cleaing - Micro groove rifling EmptyJanuary 12th 2019, 12:46 pm

@Hanshi wrote:
That was great accuracy with both guns.  What was the distance of the target?

Thanks Hanshi
Target is 70-80 Yards, if they keep up the mining (Hauling material off) i will get a true 100 Yards at this spot before long (Private owned Pit) I can actually get it there now, but That puts me sitting right on the Edge of the Main Gravel Rd. This is the easiest, most convenient place i have to shoot, about 8 miles from home.
Back to top Go down
falcon

falcon

Male Number of posts : 1557
Registration date : 2012-05-28

PostSubject: Re: Copper cleaing - Micro groove rifling   Copper cleaing - Micro groove rifling EmptyJanuary 24th 2019, 11:08 am

i have a Marlin model 322 rifle in .222 Remington caliber. The action is a Sako and the barrel has micro-groove rifling. Guy sold the gun because accuracy was very poor. i thought the bore was trashed and the barrel needed replaced.

The bore was totally crudded up with copper fouling. It took several sessions with Hoppes to get it clean.

Fired the rifle with some carefully constructed handloads a couple years ago. The rifle made neat 3/8-1/2" three shot groups at 100 meters.
Back to top Go down
Hanshi

Hanshi

PostSubject: Re: Copper cleaing - Micro groove rifling   Copper cleaing - Micro groove rifling EmptyJanuary 24th 2019, 11:52 am

I have three rifles that I consider exceptionally accurate.  I used to have a Weatherby 30/06 that would stand your hair on end but ended up selling it since it was so large I had trouble shouldering it.  My most accurate rifle is a Ruger  M77 I've owned for 45 years.  It has killed a ton of deer and is a .250/3000.  Five shot groups at 100 yards average around 1/3" to 3/8".  A close second is - and this is astonishing - my Rem M700 special edition in .350 Rem mag.  It stays under 1/2" consistently for five shots at 100.  The round is not especially noted for super accuracy, but the rifle is great and my handloads have taken many deer.  I once fired five shot groups with the Hornady 200 grain pointed bullet with several charges of between 60 grns and 55 grns of 3031, one of my very favorite powders.  Of the 6 groups fired only one made it to 1".  All the others went from 1/4" to 5/8".

I have only one .22 centerfire, a Kimber of Oregon M82 .22Hornet.  I bought it not long after they came on the market.  This little rifle comes in third but still groups around 3/4" for 5 shots.  With its fine accuracy, breaking glass rod trigger, I've taken several deer with neck shots - the only rifle I've ever done neck shots with - and even lung shots.  I don't think I have any others that accurate but did once fire a 1" 100 yd 5 shot group with my old Marlin 45/70.  They all range from "okay" to not much over 1". 

I can no longer shoot like I used to.  But I still do moderately okay, I suppose.
Back to top Go down
Hylander

Hylander

Male Number of posts : 235
Registration date : 2017-11-07

PostSubject: Re: Copper cleaing - Micro groove rifling   Copper cleaing - Micro groove rifling EmptyJanuary 27th 2019, 10:22 pm

Wipe Out.
This stuff is all I use anymore, my rifles almost never see a brush.
Simple to use.
My bores including my Micro-Groove barrels come sparkling clean.

Wipe Out Bore Cleaner
Back to top Go down
Hanshi

Hanshi

PostSubject: Re: Copper cleaing - Micro groove rifling   Copper cleaing - Micro groove rifling EmptyJanuary 28th 2019, 2:03 pm

I'm going to have to try this stuff!
Back to top Go down
skoger

Number of posts : 57
Registration date : 2015-09-30

PostSubject: Re: Copper cleaing - Micro groove rifling   Copper cleaing - Micro groove rifling EmptyFebruary 7th 2019, 6:01 pm

I use the wipeout and break free foaming bore cleaner, just spray the barrel full, tilt it in a vice, and put a drip can undernteah. Doe this 2-3 times, the use Barnes copper remover, about 8-10 patches will get it clean. The trouble with most  30/30s is they have only had a oily patch run thru them.
Back to top Go down
Old Smoke

Old Smoke

Male Number of posts : 310
Registration date : 2016-01-28

PostSubject: Re: Copper cleaing - Micro groove rifling   Copper cleaing - Micro groove rifling EmptyFebruary 8th 2019, 4:43 am

Old school solvents that remove copper best have enough ammonia you can smell it.  Ammoniz eats copper.  Just don't leave it in the barrel too long.  

I like the foaming cleaners, but none I 've tried work as well as an ammonia based solvent. I've used Pro-Shot for a while.  Works good enough even on microgroove barrels.
Back to top Go down
Marty
Site Moderator
Site Moderator
Marty

Male Number of posts : 3767
Registration date : 2009-02-03

PostSubject: Re: Copper cleaing - Micro groove rifling   Copper cleaing - Micro groove rifling EmptyFebruary 8th 2019, 1:51 pm

@Hanshi wrote:
I found J&B bore paste works quite well.
Same here.  I’ve owned Marlin Micro’s in .22, .22 Magnum and .30-.30’s.  Perhaps just lucky, or the fact that they were all bought new, I never had fouling issues.  Occasional maintenance seemed to work for me.  

2c After warming-up the barrel with a few rounds I’d run a soaked Hoppes 9 patch down the barrel followed by dry patches to remove the powder residue.  I would then clean those baby grooves with a brutal scrubbing (enough to make a bench shooter cringe  Shocked ) of JB Bore Cleaner on a patch
Copper cleaing - Micro groove rifling 6Vi0mXL
Copper cleaing - Micro groove rifling TfQzSmQ

rolled-up over a bronze brush.  Finally, another Hoppes 9 Bore Cleaner patch… then drys until they run clean.   Done.
Back to top Go down
Hanshi

Hanshi

PostSubject: Re: Copper cleaing - Micro groove rifling   Copper cleaing - Micro groove rifling EmptyFebruary 8th 2019, 2:20 pm

J&B is great stuff; it's softer than grit or steel and is not likely to damage a bore.
Back to top Go down
robinsroost

Male Number of posts : 18
Registration date : 2016-03-26

PostSubject: Re: Copper cleaing - Micro groove rifling   Copper cleaing - Micro groove rifling EmptyFebruary 12th 2019, 3:11 pm

I have had excellent luck using Outers Foaming Bore cleaner.  Plug up the chamber with a folded patch and spray outers into the barrel until you see foam.  Let it sit in a corner for about 10 minutes, then wipe the copper out.  Keep yer powder dry...……..robin
Back to top Go down

Copper cleaing - Micro groove rifling
Page 1 of 1

Permissions in this forum:You cannot reply to topics in this forum
Frontier Muzzleloading :: Modern Shooting :: Modern Shooters-
Jump to: