Frontier Muzzleloading
Welcome to Frontier Muzzleloading!

Please take the time to either Register or Log In to your user name and join us!

Muzzleloading Forum

HomeFAQRegisterLog in
Share | 

HAND FORGED ITEMS FOR THE MOUNTAIN FOLKS

Go down 
AuthorMessage
Buck Conner
Site Moderator
Site Moderator
Buck Conner

Male Number of posts : 3019
Registration date : 2015-10-20

PostSubject: HAND FORGED ITEMS FOR THE MOUNTAIN FOLKS   November 9th 2018, 5:01 pm

The original guy I had advertised said he only did limited orders and thought he was filled up for at least 2 years. He felt to be fair to possible customers he should drop out of advertising here.  So I started to look at some of my wares and who made them.
I ran across a few interesting edged tools that are priced right for being hand forged.  The hand forging process is very time consuming to do and these are now available on the Internet.  

Nice stuff and priced right and always fun to look at.

The French Trade Knife has a roach belly blade (usually only found on French knives in the day) and full tang curly maple handle this knife is timeless in it’s design and functionality. Knives similar to this were common trade items during the early American fur trade coming out of Canada. The 6” blade forged from 1084 carbon steel is hefty enough to handle all your chores whether in camp, on the trail, or in the kitchen. With a 4 1/2” handle of curly maple this knife is as aseptically pleasing as it is useful. Fitted with a hand stitched vegetable tanned sheath stained dark brown and accented with deer rawhide.
ShiraForge - $200 plus S&H

Here's my favorite forged knife, it's good for a present for your close friends. The knife is made of steel that is not susceptible to corrosion. This is the everyday carry neck-knife that was seen in the settlements of the eastern part of North America. This knife is thin, flat, and super light-weight, but forged marks are still visible. The knife is big enough to be a great cutting tool, yet slim enough to conceal and very comfortable to wear. This piece was hand forged and has become a very handy tool. 

KharkivForge - $35 plus S&H

The Axe is ultimate axe for the serious outdoors person. The axe is forged from a block of mild steel that is 1" x 2" x 4". I punch and drift the eye, then the blade is split to accept a high carbon bit. Once the 1084 bit is forge welded into the blade it is  finished forging. Each handle is made from locally harvested hickory. First rough cut with a bandsaw and then shaped with a draw knife, and rasp to finish. Then hand rubbed the handle with linseed oil and beeswax. Each axe comes with a hand stitched vegetable tanned leather sheath. Axe head measures approx. 6" x 1 3/4" with a 3" blade and weighs about 2 lbs. Handle measures 18". This axe is perfect for carrying strapped to your pack, is big enough to swing two handed for felling, but small enough to use one handed for fine work.

ShiraForge - $250 plus S&H
Now available through Etsy.com look for them by name.

Last edited by Buck Conner on November 12th 2018, 8:40 am; edited 8 times in total
Back to top Go down
Buck Conner
Site Moderator
Site Moderator
Buck Conner

PostSubject: Re: HAND FORGED ITEMS FOR THE MOUNTAIN FOLKS   November 10th 2018, 8:25 am

Ladies and Gentlemen, 

Thank you for contacting me on my private mail about the custom built forged knife. 

I have removed your names as that deal fell through. Uffda asked if I would thank those interested but would rather work off his filled list at this time. Seems many of the hard core reenactors have him in their sights for his products.
Thank you again.   cowyboy hatoff

Site Moderator
Buck Conner

PostSubject: Re: HAND FORGED ITEMS FOR THE MOUNTAIN FOLKS   December 7th 2018, 5:29 pm

Just received my knife for everyday carry as a neck-knife. The knife is thin, flat, and super light-weight, forged marks are still visible. The knife is big enough to be a great cutting tool, yet slim enough to conceal and very comfortable to wear with its nicely stitched heavy leather sheath. This piece is hand forged by Kharkiv Forge - $35 plus S&H. That's a fair price for a forged knife of this quality today.

HAND FORGED ITEMS FOR THE MOUNTAIN FOLKS
Page 1 of 1

Permissions in this forum:You cannot reply to topics in this forum
Frontier Muzzleloading :: Muzzleloading Topic :: Muzzleloading Crafts-
Jump to: