Frontier Muzzleloading
Welcome to Frontier Muzzleloading!

Please take the time to either Register or Log In to your user name and join us!

Muzzleloading Forum

HomeFAQRegisterLog in

Flintlock learning moment

Go down 
AuthorMessage
Mike in Oz

Mike in Oz

Male Number of posts : 197
Registration date : 2017-09-22

Flintlock learning moment  Empty
PostSubject: Flintlock learning moment    Flintlock learning moment  EmptyNovember 11th 2018, 10:20 am

Was at the range today, banging away quite happily and having a rare ole time, until shot number seven.

*Flash* no bang.

Unperturbed I went through the recharge and vent pick.

*Flash* no bang.

Irritated but unworried I recharged again and picked the hell out of the flash hole.

*Flash* no bang.

This sent on for a total of ten flashes and vent picks until in total frustration and to the amusement of my fellow muzzleloaders who were looking on I took off the side lock and unscrewed the flash hole.

Imagine my surprise when I found the Patiant breech of my pedersoli flintlock to be completely choked with gunge. I mean like totally stuffed full of goop! 😳

I duly cleared it and it shot fine.

Chatting with Gordon on the way home about this problem we came to the conclusion that it was down to my loading procedure.

I normally charge, shoot, wipe, charge shoot and repeat but Gorden pointed out the by wiping between the shots in my normal way I was probably shoving all the dross straight down into the breech and blocking it.

🤦‍♂️

So obvious when someone points it out to you eh? 😂
Back to top Go down
BigAl52
Site Moderator
Site Moderator
BigAl52

Male Number of posts : 598
Registration date : 2016-02-03

PostSubject: Re: Flintlock learning moment    Flintlock learning moment  EmptyNovember 11th 2018, 11:45 am

Mike I keep a brush around that fits into that breech in my box. I just fold a patch over the end and stuff it into that area should I decide to do that. Also if u use a slightly undersized jag you wouldnt push all that grunge in there it should come out with the patch. Al

John Bergmann 50 cal Lancaster
John Bergmann 54 cal Hawken
GRRW 50 cal
GRRW 58 cal
Lyman GPR 54 cal flintlock L&R lock davis deerslayer trigger
Lyman Trade Rifle 54 cal
CVA Hawken 58 cal by Jonathan
Hawken Squirrel Rifle 40 cal by John Bergman
Pedersoli Penn Rifle 50 cal flintlock
Back to top Go down
Mike in Oz

Mike in Oz

PostSubject: Re: Flintlock learning moment    Flintlock learning moment  EmptyNovember 12th 2018, 6:28 pm

Hey Al,

I try and keep my kit as small as possible but i managed to make do with my vent pick, was damn frustrating though.

I suspect it was the high humidity that was turning my residue to sludge which i then inadvertently rammed into the patent breech.

It really makes me wonder how they managed back in the day to hunt in damp or wet conditions.
Back to top Go down
Grimord

Male Number of posts : 47
Registration date : 2015-01-02

PostSubject: Re: Flintlock learning moment    Flintlock learning moment  EmptyNovember 13th 2018, 6:26 am

I make it a point not to swab the barrel all the way to the breech between shots.  I use the "loaded" mark on my ram rod as a stopping point.  That way I do not push gunk into the breech/flash hole area.  Have not had a problem since I started doing this, and I have several rifles with the "Patent" breech.
Back to top Go down
Sparkitoff

Number of posts : 203
Registration date : 2018-06-08

PostSubject: Re: Flintlock learning moment    Flintlock learning moment  EmptyNovember 13th 2018, 6:46 pm

I like Grimord's advice and I will try that next time I am out.
Back to top Go down
Mike in Oz

Mike in Oz

PostSubject: Re: Flintlock learning moment    Flintlock learning moment  EmptyNovember 13th 2018, 6:48 pm

Yeah its a good idea, I'll give that a try.
Back to top Go down
PaulK

PaulK

Number of posts : 52
Registration date : 2016-12-07

PostSubject: Re: Flintlock learning moment    Flintlock learning moment  EmptyNovember 16th 2018, 5:33 pm

@Mike in Oz wrote:
Yeah its a good idea, I'll give that a try.
Mike, why do you swab between shots? I've used different "target" lubes and now spit patch and Rarely swab. Usually shoot 20+ shots then clean the gun.
Back to top Go down
Coalforge

Coalforge

Male Number of posts : 70
Registration date : 2016-07-20

PostSubject: Re: Flintlock learning moment    Flintlock learning moment  EmptyNovember 16th 2018, 7:50 pm

A fellow I shoot with swears by swabbing the barrel after he loads. Powder, patched ball, swab the barrel, prime and shoot.
Back to top Go down
http://www.keystoneironworks.com/
PaulK

PaulK

Number of posts : 52
Registration date : 2016-12-07

PostSubject: Re: Flintlock learning moment    Flintlock learning moment  EmptyNovember 17th 2018, 12:01 am

@Coalforge wrote:
A fellow I shoot with swears by swabbing the barrel after he loads. Powder, patched ball, swab the barrel, prime and shoot.
Ya, I watched a pretty accomplished target shooter do that. Certainly worked for him. When I'm out just plinking around I'd rather just be shooting. Especially if I'm walking a trail.
Back to top Go down
bronko22000

Male Number of posts : 59
Registration date : 2016-03-22

PostSubject: Re: Flintlock learning moment    Flintlock learning moment  EmptyNovember 18th 2018, 8:47 am

My first thought on this was how do you store your muzzie?  When you clean it after shooting do you swab the bore with a rust preventative oil. If you do you should store the rifle muzzle down and also swab the bore before your shooting session with a couple of dry patches.  A small amount of oil in the breech when combined with black powder fouling can make a real mess with a tar like gunk.
PS: not only muzzies but all firearms should be stored muzzle down to prevent oil from entering the stock from the action.
Back to top Go down
Renegadehunter

Renegadehunter

Male Number of posts : 58
Registration date : 2018-10-12

PostSubject: Re: Flintlock learning moment    Flintlock learning moment  EmptyNovember 26th 2018, 2:59 pm

I have a caplock, but also swab between shots.  I've found that my POI takes off to the left a ton after about two shots if I don't swab, and this is with a patch/ball combo that is fairly tight.  Doesn't matter if I'm using a wet patch lube or a hunting patch lube.  I've ended up pushing fouling down and blocking it a few times now.  I haven't tried it to see if it will maintain accuracy for me yet, but I read about another method that sounds good to me: pour in the powder charge, start the patch/ball with short starter, and then seat them with a jag with a swab patch on it.  Sounds like a good way to save a little time swabbing and also prevent pushing fouling into the flame channel.
Back to top Go down
flinter2

Number of posts : 11
Registration date : 2018-11-23

PostSubject: Me too   Flintlock learning moment  EmptyDecember 6th 2018, 12:04 am

@Coalforge wrote:
I also used 3f and a spit patch for target shooting  because besides giving the accuracy I wanted ( a lot of 10 shot possibles ) it shot a lot cleaner than the recommended 2f in my 54 and 50 cal rifles.. 
The swabbing was with a barely damp patch once down and out then the same with a dry patch  and a regular clean out at the end of the day  some time 30 shots..  Rob
Back to top Go down
heelerau

heelerau

Male Number of posts : 171
Registration date : 2018-02-08

PostSubject: Re: Flintlock learning moment    Flintlock learning moment  EmptyDecember 25th 2018, 11:26 pm

I was having a similar issue with my ParkerHale .451 volunteer small bore rifle which has a patent breech.  I reviewed the loading instructions, and now wipe the bore out after I have dropped a powder charge and both felt and card wad on top down the barrel. Wet patch then a dry patch and no ignition issues. Hence my advice to Mike on the way home,

Number of posts : 2
Registration date : 2018-12-23

PostSubject: Re: Flintlock learning moment    Flintlock learning moment  EmptyDecember 26th 2018, 6:31 pm

I had the same problem today.  First time shooting a flintlock (Pedersoli Hawken).  Brush, then patch, then 60 grains of Geox FF powder and a Maxiball.  

On shot # 4 the flint came loose.  So I put a new flint in and recharged the pan.  After 5 more tries, I gave up.  Took the side lock and plug out, saturated the powder and pulled the ball.

I guess I pushed the spooge too far down. 😱
Back to top Go down

Flintlock learning moment
Page 1 of 1

Permissions in this forum:You cannot reply to topics in this forum
Frontier Muzzleloading :: Muzzleloading Topic :: Traditional Muzzleloading-
Jump to: