Frontier Muzzleloading
Welcome to Frontier Muzzleloading!

Please take the time to either Register or Log In to your user name and join us!

Muzzleloading Forum

HomeFAQRegisterLog in

Need help please

Go down 
AuthorMessage
RLSMITH

Male Number of posts : 43
Registration date : 2018-07-14

Need help please Empty
PostSubject: Need help please   Need help please EmptyNovember 12th 2018, 4:55 pm

Went to the range shot to of my 54 cal rifles. Both shot great shot 2to 5. The first shot went low on the great plains the grey hawk went high I'm okay with that. Now what I would like to do is fire about 10 grains to foul barell before I load the rifles to hunt will this hurt any thing if it stays loaded all day. I use goex 2f please let me know thanks.
Back to top Go down
FrontierGander
Site
Site
FrontierGander

Male Number of posts : 16283
Registration date : 2008-05-19

Need help please Empty
PostSubject: Re: Need help please   Need help please EmptyNovember 12th 2018, 4:59 pm

I wouldn't have a problem with it.
Back to top Go down
RLSMITH

Need help please Empty
PostSubject: Re: Need help please   Need help please EmptyNovember 12th 2018, 5:06 pm

Thank you just didn't want to cause myself any problem with leaving it fouled all day
Back to top Go down
Mofish

Number of posts : 81
Registration date : 2018-07-25

Need help please Empty
PostSubject: Re: Need help please   Need help please EmptyNovember 13th 2018, 2:47 am

That fouling can attract moisture and I would take that into consideration. You might have some light rust to clean out of the barrel by the time you get home at night.
Back to top Go down
RLSMITH

Need help please Empty
PostSubject: Re: Need help please   Need help please EmptyNovember 13th 2018, 3:39 am

Mofish that is exactly what I'm concerned about
Back to top Go down
Sparkitoff

Number of posts : 203
Registration date : 2018-06-08

Need help please Empty
PostSubject: Re: Need help please   Need help please EmptyNovember 13th 2018, 7:29 am

I do "shoot off" a fouling load. What I do is load 40 grains Goex with a patch over it. After it discharges, I run a lightly dampened alcohol patch down the bore just once down and out. It leaves enough fouling to make my next (actual) shot consistent with my 5-shot groups. The patch has barely detectable moisture and I actually use two patches and a .50 caliber jag in my .54 so it fits loosely. It doesn't remove all the fouling and it wont get stuck.  I just run this down and back out one time. Has worked well in all 3 of my .54 caliber rifles
Back to top Go down
RLSMITH

Need help please Empty
PostSubject: Re: Need help please   Need help please EmptyNovember 13th 2018, 7:58 am

I believe I have found a solution to my problem I will use a mag spark to foul the barrels with a federal 209a shotgun primer I have a friend that does this with great success.
Back to top Go down

Need help please
Page 1 of 1

Permissions in this forum:You cannot reply to topics in this forum
Frontier Muzzleloading :: Muzzleloading Topic :: Traditional Muzzleloading-
Jump to: