Frontier Muzzleloading
Welcome to Frontier Muzzleloading!

Please take the time to either Register or Log In to your user name and join us!

Muzzleloading Forum

HomeFAQRegisterLog in

White round balls

Go down 
AuthorMessage
Mofish

Number of posts : 81
Registration date : 2018-07-25

White round balls Empty
PostSubject: White round balls   White round balls EmptyNovember 14th 2018, 1:35 am

Ran into a little problem I've never been faced with before. I opened up a box of Hornady .445's at a match last weekend, and they were really white and crusty. They shoot just fine, but it really sort of bugs me to be dealing with the rough corrosion on the balls. I came home and checked out the rest of that size I had, and they were all that way ! I finally decided to try something, and put 500 of them into a large plastic jar and heavily sprayed them with a penetrating oil. I am going to let them soak for a couple days, and then try putting them in a tumbler with some media that is about due to be changed anyway. 
I don't think the oil should cause me any problems on them as they are shot patched anyway and the tumbling should remove most of it I think. 
I guess I should just get busy and cast up a bunch, but I hate to lose all these Hornadys. 
Anybody ever deal with something like this?
Back to top Go down
Kentucky Colonel

Kentucky Colonel

Male Number of posts : 1774
Registration date : 2015-10-28

White round balls Empty
PostSubject: Re: White round balls   White round balls EmptyNovember 14th 2018, 4:56 am

This is common. I find they are OK to use. But, I hear you. I just rub em off a bit if they are as bad as yours sound. You can seal yours away from the air and it should help prevent it. A plastic freezer bag comes to mind.

Florida Muzzleloaders Association 
Central Florida Muzzleloaders 
Green River Rifle Works Collectors Association
NMLRA
Back to top Go down
burlesontom

Male Number of posts : 168
Registration date : 2018-04-10

White round balls Empty
PostSubject: Re: White round balls   White round balls EmptyNovember 14th 2018, 11:49 am

I have the same thing on my balls. I put them in a 13oz coffee can and sprayed them with WD-40 and roll them around a bit. now they are a dark gray color like they are supposed to be. And no, it won't hurt them at all.

I have put some I cast into an empty vibrator type brass polisher with no media. It gets rid of the sprue and makes a hell of a lot of noise. But it worked.
Back to top Go down
Buck Conner
Site Moderator
Site Moderator
Buck Conner

Male Number of posts : 3406
Registration date : 2015-10-20

White round balls Empty
PostSubject: Re: White round balls   White round balls EmptyNovember 14th 2018, 1:35 pm

Most lead will have oxidation in time. The lead balls we shoot today has a mixed form of lead acetate and lead chloride defined as lead acetate or subacetate. Most lead forms are inorganic compounds and most can be cleaned up in ethanol.

Back to top Go down
FrontierGander
Site
Site
FrontierGander

Male Number of posts : 16283
Registration date : 2008-05-19

White round balls Empty
PostSubject: Re: White round balls   White round balls EmptyNovember 14th 2018, 2:26 pm

All the balls I cast, I roll around in a skim coating of my anti rust & patch lube. Once the lube dries, the lead is protected and ready for storage. I hate that nasty white corrosion crap!
Back to top Go down
Buck Conner
Site Moderator
Site Moderator
Buck Conner

Male Number of posts : 3406
Registration date : 2015-10-20

White round balls Empty
PostSubject: Re: White round balls   White round balls EmptyNovember 14th 2018, 2:42 pm

Amen ...

Back to top Go down
Mofish

Number of posts : 81
Registration date : 2018-07-25

White round balls Empty
PostSubject: Re: White round balls   White round balls EmptyNovember 19th 2018, 1:13 am

I soaked those crusty balls for a few days in penetrating oil, and then did the tumbler thing. They didn't come out just like new, but are a heck of a lot nicer when I got done. Now I have 500 of them in an old peanut butter jar sealed from the outside air and I think they will last like that. I've never had this problem with factory swaged lead balls, stored in the original boxes before...but obviously it can happen. Maybe Speer factory boxes would be more efficient at sealing the balls off from outside air, as those boxes are plastic and the boxes are sealed up pretty good. 
Oh well...One day I'll be bored and sit down and cast up a big enough bunch of them to probably last the rest of my lifetime...so it's not a big deal anyway. 
I have stacks of factory boxes with lots of sizes of round balls..the majority of which I'll never use..but if I do need some of them, I'll now know how to clean them up somewhat.
Back to top Go down

White round balls
Page 1 of 1

Permissions in this forum:You cannot reply to topics in this forum
Frontier Muzzleloading :: Muzzleloading Topic :: Traditional Muzzleloading-
Jump to: