Frontier Muzzleloading
Welcome to Frontier Muzzleloading!

Please take the time to either Register or Log In to your user name and join us!

Muzzleloading Forum

HomeFAQRegisterLog in

Can A Ball Fit TOO Tight?

Go down 
AuthorMessage
Fiddler

Fiddler

Number of posts : 13
Registration date : 2016-09-29

Can A Ball Fit TOO Tight? Empty
PostSubject: Can A Ball Fit TOO Tight?   Can A Ball Fit TOO Tight? EmptyNovember 16th 2018, 1:14 pm

After a lot of experimentation, I finally settled on a .490" ball with .018 CVA store-bought yellow striped "pillow ticking" patch.
    However, I still have a bunch of .495" balls lying around that I'd like to shoot up, but the patches I have make for a very tight fit. I really have to struggle to ram that combination down the barrel.
     I've heard there are thinner patches for sale out there in Internetland, but I'd rather experiment with some sort of cloth available from my local fabric shop or something I might have lying around the house.
    I'm sorta curious to see how these .495" balls perform with thinner patches.
    Or should I just keep using the patches I already have?
     Any suggestions?
Back to top Go down
mlrifleNY

mlrifleNY

Male Number of posts : 20
Registration date : 2017-09-25

PostSubject: Re: Can A Ball Fit TOO Tight?   Can A Ball Fit TOO Tight? EmptyNovember 16th 2018, 2:29 pm

I shoot 495 all the time with a .018 patches. They take a good pop with the short starter but go down ok after that. I have to say that I do not have a CVA, I have a custom that I made with a Colerain barrel. You could  try some .010 patches but they will probably burn through.  
Jim

44 mag Henry BBB
1860 Henry in 45 colt
45-70 Henry in Brass
Back to top Go down
FrontierGander
Site
Site
FrontierGander

Male Number of posts : 16283
Registration date : 2008-05-19

PostSubject: Re: Can A Ball Fit TOO Tight?   Can A Ball Fit TOO Tight? EmptyNovember 16th 2018, 2:32 pm

If its that tight, you basically will end up breaking the ramrod at some point if its wood. Use a good solid brass or stainless range rod and you'll be ok. I'd try some .015 patches myself.
Back to top Go down
Sparkitoff

Number of posts : 203
Registration date : 2018-06-08

PostSubject: Re: Can A Ball Fit TOO Tight?   Can A Ball Fit TOO Tight? EmptyNovember 16th 2018, 2:58 pm

If you have to bang on the rod you're going to deform the ball some. You'd be better off trying a thinner patch with the .495's. You could use blue/white pillow ticking from Wal Mart or some old cotton pants that don't fit anymore. Another thing to consider is a little more lube than usual to help the tighter patch get down the bore. A friend that had an extremely tight fitting ball/patch combo would spray the patch with WD40 (not saturated, just sprayed) right before seating so it would not get stuck along the way down. Others may have personal experience with this. I am relaying what I was told....
Back to top Go down
Fiddler

Fiddler

Number of posts : 13
Registration date : 2016-09-29

PostSubject: Re: Can A Ball Fit TOO Tight?   Can A Ball Fit TOO Tight? EmptyNovember 16th 2018, 3:18 pm

@mlrifleNY wrote:
I shoot 495 all the time with a .018 patches. They take a good pop with the short starter but go down ok after that. I have to say that I do not have a CVA, I have a custom that I made with a Colerain barrel. You could  try some .010 patches but they will probably burn through.  
Jim
I don't have a CVA rifle either. It's the patches, made by CVA, that I'm talking about. I shoot a Lyman Deerstalker.
Back to top Go down
bronko22000

Male Number of posts : 59
Registration date : 2016-03-22

PostSubject: Re: Can A Ball Fit TOO Tight?   Can A Ball Fit TOO Tight? EmptyNovember 18th 2018, 8:39 am

As Jon said, a .015" or even a .010" patch may work with your .495" balls. If you don't want to buy patches and have any older cotton undershirts lying around cut a strip off one and give it a "shot". Just lube them up good because a thinner patch will also burn through quicker.
Back to top Go down
mlrifleNY

mlrifleNY

Male Number of posts : 20
Registration date : 2017-09-25

PostSubject: Re: Can A Ball Fit TOO Tight?   Can A Ball Fit TOO Tight? EmptyNovember 18th 2018, 9:33 am

Many years ago I used to hunt with a GPR in 54cal, I used 535 balls and an .018 patch with that also. it was a great shooting rifle and I took my biggest buck with it. I used a wood ramrod but would always junk the factory rod and make one from hickory and used short strokes to push the ball down. Haven't broken one yet.  I would try the .015 like Jon said and keep at it and it will all come together.

Jim

44 mag Henry BBB
1860 Henry in 45 colt
45-70 Henry in Brass
Back to top Go down
Henry Frapp

Henry Frapp

Number of posts : 9
Registration date : 2018-05-25

PostSubject: Re: Can A Ball Fit TOO Tight?   Can A Ball Fit TOO Tight? EmptyNovember 18th 2018, 9:44 am

I've tried patch/ball combinations that were so tight that a second shot would be almost impossible to load unless the bore was not just given a quick swab, but totally clean first. Generally speaking accuracy is supposed to be better when it's a tight fit, but I'm not a competitive target shooter, so I'd rather use a combination that's easier to load. Shooting just isn't fun if it's a struggle.
Back to top Go down
Mofish

Number of posts : 81
Registration date : 2018-07-25

PostSubject: Re: Can A Ball Fit TOO Tight?   Can A Ball Fit TOO Tight? EmptyNovember 19th 2018, 1:03 am

When I'm loading at a bench, like at matches, I generally keep a small rubber hammer on the bench. I lay the ball over the patch at the muzzle and just give it a slight tap with the hammer and it's started into the rifling. From there it's not a hassle, even with a tight patch that is sufficiently wet with lube. It beats banging on your short starter sometimes, but in the field you still have to work at it a little harder. I am a fan of nice tight ball/patch combos for accuracy.
Back to top Go down
RhinoDave

RhinoDave

Male Number of posts : 125
Registration date : 2017-01-25

PostSubject: Re: Can A Ball Fit TOO Tight?   Can A Ball Fit TOO Tight? EmptyNovember 19th 2018, 7:56 am

As a recreational shooter only, I prefer ball/patch combinations  that load easier. As long as my accuracy doesn't suffer greatly, I would go with a thinner patch and if your accuracy falls off, check to make sure the patches aren't tearing. My hands can't take pounding on a short starter and I'm not adding a mallet to my already overstocked shooting bag.

Can A Ball Fit TOO Tight?
Page 1 of 1

Permissions in this forum:You cannot reply to topics in this forum
Frontier Muzzleloading :: Muzzleloading Topic :: Traditional Muzzleloading-
Jump to: